Sleep System

Hike&Hunt

FNG
Base camp

16x20 wall tent 85 lbs
Riley wood stove 50 lbs
Cot, 2.5" thermarest 25 lbs
Other comforts ~ who knows, thank god for horses!

If camp is on my back:
Supertarp 1lb, 1.5-1.8 lbs with annex and stove
REI 35 degree bag 1.5 or so, looking at adding a kifaru slick 20 to the gear pile.
Thermarest, either .75 or 1.3 lbs depending on how many nights I will be out.
Total 3.25-5.5 or so depending on details of trip.

IDEALLY:
17 oz tarp/trekking poles
32 oz Sierra Design down bag
13 oz closed cell foam pad/ground sheet

Reality:
4 lb tent
32 oz SD down bag
15 oz closed cell foam pad

Best of luck guys
Tyler

cmeier117

WKR
I may switch from a Super Tarp to a Sawtooth since I will be hunting with my dad or another person most of the time. I think I can get it to 4lbs for the Sawtooth by taking the rear pole out and using a Trekking pole and using lighter stakes. I have a hate/love relationship with decisions and choices?!!!!

Mike7

WKR
Montbell Super Spiral/MB Bag Cover/Tyvek Ground Cloth = 34 oz.
BA Insul AC Mummy 20x72 pad = 22 oz.
My 1/2 or 1/3 portion of TiGoat 7.5 Tipi with pole/stakes = 36 oz. or less
Total = 5 3/4 lbs

or less comfortable bivy (I'm too old for too many nights of this)...
Same sleeping bag system and bag cover = 34 oz
3/4 Modified Ridgerest = 8 oz
Poncho-net-stakes pitched over pack and upper torso = 16 oz
Total = 3 2/3 lbs

Lawnboi

WKR
I think i found what i will be using this year finally. On paper its looking pretty good so far

Paratarp and annex. 1lb 8oz give or take
parastove. 2lb 5oz, if its needed
Doobie 2lb 2oz +cordage to tie it together like a bag
Zlite 14oz
neo xlite 12oz if its even needed

So all of it together around 7lb 9oz give or take a few. I think this is going to be a winner for me when it comes to solo hunting and backpacking.

BA Fly Creek UL2 w/ rainfly, footprint, AND stakes - 2lb 5oz
BA air core insulated mummy pad - 1lb 6oz
REI Igneo down 20 (waterproof) bag - 1lb 15oz
Total = 5lb 5oz

This is an awesome backcountry setup, however I haven't used the sleeping bag yet. My previous synthetic didn't cut it last year on a backcountry bivy that dropped well below freezing.

B

bearguide

black diamond first lite 2 lb 3 oz
neoair 1.3
marmot lithium 2.15
rebecca carries part of the tent
neoair 1.2
marmot helium 2.3

Last edited:

strawman

Lil-Rokslider
Just curious what your backpack hunting sleep system will weigh this season. This would be tent, pad, bag.

I'm not 100% sure on what I'll be using this season, but I always try and keep the weight down below 7 lbs.

Sleeping bag--- Kifaru or Montbell 2.4lbs ish
Tent/shelter---Not sure on this, but thinking Big Agnes 3 Wire and Paratarp 2.5lbs ish
Pad---modified RidgeRest or Exped UL7 12-16 oz's

So I should end up real close to 6 lbs and maybe a little less.

So, judging by the 3 Wire Bivy in the classifieds you chose not to go this route. What are you planning on using for a shelter instead? I thought the 3 wire bivy to be an odd choice to begin with as it's pretty heavy and kind of overkill for a bivy that you'll be using along with a Paratarp.

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
U R Correct

I like the head room in the 3 wire, especially when used on it's own, but you're correct about the overkill thing and I'm going to run an Integral Design instead. Both the ID Bivy and 3 wire are made of Event and that was my biggest requirement.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Aron, I am looking for an eVent direct venting type bivy, and have also been looking at the ID models. Have you taken a look at the Mountain Hardwear Dry.Q bivy? Dry.Q uses the same membrane as eVent, I just don't know if their fabric breathes the same. The Dry.Q is pretty light.

JG358

WKR
Changed some stuff up... dropped 4+ lbs

Supertarp(including poles, pegs & annex), Bugaboo II Bivy, Slick bag, Exped UL7... 7 lbs 5oz

Last edited:
Would you reccomend the 30 degree Montbell Spiral Down hugger or the 15 degree. The StormKing I am running now is almost 4 lbs! I love it, but there are better options out there.

cmeier117

WKR
Would you reccomend the 30 degree Montbell Spiral Down hugger or the 15 degree. The StormKing I am running now is almost 4 lbs! I love it, but there are better options out there.

Don't know who you are asking but I have the 15 degree bag. For me the choice was easy as I already have a 20 degree down quilt I can take in summer/early season. I think for "most" people if you have the money for one really good bag, like the Montbell. Then it would be better to get the 15 degree, you can always unzip it during warmer months. Unless you are a real ounce counter, sleep very warm, don't mind wearing clothing to bed every once in awhile or you are using it with a bivy. I would get the 15 degree. Because that one bag should be able to get you through 4 seasons if you add a bivy in the winter. But that is my opinion.

No worries man, I was asking anyone who wanted to answer :)

Makes sense to me. I have a 0 degree bag already for the winter months, but the 15 is not a bad option.

2rocky

WKR
Summer-CA
WM Megalite Long 30* bag 1# 8 oz (1.5#)
ZLITE closed cell pad Reg 14 oz (.87#)
Ti-Goat ptarmagin bivy 6 oz. (.375#)
Homemade 10 x10 Tarp (ripstop Nylon) 2.0#
Stakes?
Under 6#

Late Fall/ Winter
(usually in a wall tent)
BA 0* Storm King long 3.6875 #