Sleep systems

brn2hnt

WKR
Start with requirements. Cost, Size, weight, stove compatibility, temp rating, "wetness" of hunting locations etc.

Then look at preferences. Floorless vs double wall, entry style, material, down vs synthetic, side sleeper vs non, etc.

Having those listed out makes a decision much easier, as well as much more valuable recommendations from places like Rokslide.

laclement

FNG
Agree with brn2hnt. I did my first backpacking trip this year. Went with a 1 man Big Agnes fly creek for my tent. It is the one thing I would change, I'd go 2p instead and just take the extra weight. but it depends on the person if they want comfort vs weight savings on some things

Where, when and how you camp can vary a lot. I have been places devoid of any flat ground...much less a spot without rocks and roots. The only way to camp was in a hammock.

ICantHunt

FNG
If your backpacking, I like an insulated and inflatable sleeping pad, with a mummy bag rated 15-20 degrees colder than you expect it to get. You can always shed layers or unzip, but getting cold while backpacking is terrible. Also, the smaller the tent, the easier it is to get condensation, so make sure you can either vent it comfortably or maybe size up so that you arent touching the walls if they get wet, as this will suck some heat out of your bag

Without details its hard to say? I do all styles of camping from backpacking to wall tents to my bigfoot camper. I have 8-9 sleeping bags, 3 varying size cots from ultralight to extra large, 5 tents from one man to a 12x14 wall tent and 5 different styles of sleeping matts. Whatever your needs buy quality gear which always costs more. I just bought a new -20 C winter packable bag and an exped winter downmat. This was a $1000 canadian purchase but it will round out my need for winter snowmobile camping

skierhs

WKR
As the above have already described not only how your sleep system will be used but in what situations you’ll need it for along with costs have a huge affect. A wall tent in a wilderness area using horses v. Packing in camp on your back v. Truck camping all play a major role and what you’re willing to pay.

I’ll assume you are backpacking, as that is what I chiefly do so it’s the only experience I have so far. (Sept through Dec) Here’s my thoughts:

-If solo, get a 2 person tent. Great for stowing your pack and weapon at night. Side entry is easier for me than front entry. Under 3lbs. if it doesn’t come with reflective guy lines, buy some reflective paracord to replace the factory guy lines.

-A 20 degree bag is a great do-all. If it’s 10 degrees, wear your puffer, pants, balaclava etc. If it’s 80 degrees, unzip it, flip it, and use it as a quilt.

-Buy an inflatable pillow. It is worth the $25 and the couple ounces.

-If you have friends with sleeping pads, borrow some of theirs and sleep on them. What works for them may or may not work for you. I’m still trying to dial in something I like in this category. Have a decent R value, anything 3 or above. I tried a self inflating at first and I dumped it due to size it consumes in my pack.

-Buy a Z seat or cut down a section of a folding foam mat. It’s great for sitting on while glassing, around camp, etc but I also use it as my mat at the entrance of my tent (inside the vestibule) so I can step out at night and take a piss without getting my socks wet.

-Be prepared to buy and sell multiple times as you find what works for you. Watch Youtube for some great lightweight / thru hiker hacks but also realize that they rarely go off trail and rarely treat their equipment like you will in a hunt, so ultralight won’t always be your best bet.

The_Yetti

Lil-Rokslider
I feel I've finally dialed mine in, I have a Klymit insulated sleep pad, a Hammock Gear 10 degree quilt and a Seek Outside Silex. Of course for close to the truck it's a cot with a thick foam pad and my old MILSPEC 3 piece sleep system.