Sleeping bag and Kifaru Woobie

BuckSnort

WKR
Has any of you added a Woobie to your sleep system? Wondering how much temp range it will add to a 20 degree bag? If any of you have tried it, pro's/cons ??

lucascole76

Lil-Rokslider
Search the forum slick bag and woobie
This same conversation came up last week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldgoat

WKR
I didn't do it with a woobie but did it with a cheap less warm quilt and it worked like a champ, didn't even tuck it under the bag and it made a huge difference.

I've easily gone into the low teens with my 20* Slick Bag and Woobie wearing only my merino base layers. Probably could have run with just my boxers but I generally sleep in merino and never thought of trying it with less clothes on.

Makes a perfect sleep system for me and gives me year round options without owning several bags or bags just for specific temp ranges.

I've easily gone into the low teens with my 20* Slick Bag and Woobie wearing only my merino base layers.

To clarify, is that the side zip (combat) or center zip (apex) slick bag? I am thinking about this combo. I may end up looking at other options due to the slick bag not being tall enough for me though; it's borderline.

To clarify, is that the side zip (combat) or center zip (apex) slick bag? I am thinking about this combo. I may end up looking at other options due to the slick bag not being tall enough for me though; it's borderline.

It's the newest version(s) Apex center zip Slick Bag and Apex Woobie.

oldgoat

WKR
How tall are you? They have a long size and if you called them, you might could get a longer one, don't know If they do that with slick bags, but they accommodate taller guys with pack frames so it might be worth asking

I've had 3 Kifaru slick bags. Two of the older combat insulation and now a new center zip apex. Seems like my new center zip is more of a tapered or traditional mummy fit. I am 5-7 and 150 so a regular length and regular width bag works great for myself and stuffing my woobie inside to boost temp rating if needed.

How tall are you? They have a long size and if you called them, you might could get a longer one, don't know If they do that with slick bags, but they accommodate taller guys with pack frames so it might be worth asking

I've tried it on in the shop. I'm 6'5" and point my toes when I sleep (the long is listed at 6'7"). It works, but there is pressure on both my feet and head when it's zipped up. I've asked on both that and the lost park and it was a no go for added length. I actually just bit the bullet and ordered my 28" frame last week, so I'm looking forward to that.

I used poncho liners and later a woobie to extend the range of a bag. I have used a 20 degree north face cats meow down close to 5 degrees or so with clothes and a liner / woobie. I wrapped into the poncho liner before getting in the bag. It worked but could get twisted up and was tough if you had to pee at midnight. With the woobie I used it over the bag. It was a bit of a pain to keep in place but it worked.

If you do the woobie thing, You also gain some versatility by having a nice glassing blanket or wrap. You do pay a weight penalty. The woobie is close to 2 pounds. Add that to a 20 degree bag and you are likely going to come out a pound or more heavier than a dedicated zero degree bag.

OP
BuckSnort

BuckSnort

WKR
Thanks guys, this system will be for my wife, she's a cold sleeper and I'm hoping with the woobie and a 15-20 degree bag (gonna try big agnus) that she will be warm when it's a realistic 40 degrees..

I used poncho liners and later a woobie to extend the range of a bag. I have used a 20 degree north face cats meow down close to 5 degrees or so with clothes and a liner / woobie. I wrapped into the poncho liner before getting in the bag. It worked but could get twisted up and was tough if you had to pee at midnight. With the woobie I used it over the bag. It was a bit of a pain to keep in place but it worked.

If you do the woobie thing, You also gain some versatility by having a nice glassing blanket or wrap. You do pay a weight penalty. The woobie is close to 2 pounds. Add that to a 20 degree bag and you are likely going to come out a pound or more heavier than a dedicated zero degree bag.

Good info, I was thinking this system (bag and woobie) would be very versatile not only for sleeping but for her to wrap up in while glassing at sunrise..

Ah. Yes. The old how to warmer an ice code in the field problem.

I have taken a few non campers into the woods before. Here are my best tricks.

Give her a good sleeping pad or two. No kidding. High high r value. Consider a self inflated or chamber air mattress on top of a closed cell version. Comfort and insulation.

Take a nalegen bottle and boil water. Throw it in the bag with her as she goes to sleep. Renew it around midnight when you are up to pee and first thing in the am if you really want to score some points.

Hot coffee of chocolate in the am is welcome too.

dotman

WKR
Thanks guys, this system will be for my wife, she's a cold sleeper and I'm hoping with the woobie and a 15-20 degree bag (gonna try big agnus) that she will be warm when it's a realistic 40 degrees..

Good info, I was thinking this system (bag and woobie) would be very versatile not only for sleeping but for her to wrap up in while glassing at sunrise..

Have you considered a 0* quilt and woobie combo over a sleeping bag?

OP
BuckSnort

BuckSnort

WKR
Have you considered a 0* quilt and woobie combo over a sleeping bag?

No I haven't, for 2 reasons.. I have always prefered synthetic insulation and unless I'm missing something the quilts look like a pain in the ass to get in and out of they way they wrap around the bottom of sleeping pad..