Sleeping Bag and Pad for NWT

aaron14

Lil-Rokslider
What does everyone use for a sleeping bag and pad? I am filming a sheep and caribou hunt in NWT beginning the first week of August, and in the last two hunts I've been up there felt I was a little undergunned with my current setup -- REI Radiant 19 degree bag and Sea to Summit Ultralight Insulated pad. I'm looking for a slightly warmer bag and warmer/thicker pad as I've never been comfortable on my current pad. Yes, I realize I'm getting a little close to the hunt to figure out gear, but I was just told about this hunt recently. I've been looking at the Stone Glacier Chilkoot (15 or 0) bag and NeoAir Xtherm or Exped Ultra 5R pad. Any other suggestions are welcomed!

Ron.C

Lil-Rokslider
Although I'm not hunting the NWT, I upgraded to an Xtherm reg/wide last year.

I've only spent 6 nights on it so far (2 were in the backyard -10 last winter as a test under a -7 bag) the other 4 while camping a couple weeks back in warmish early summer weather.

Some say they are crinkly and keep them awake, I never had that problem. I'm also a side sleeper/active sleeper and move quite a bit and never bottomed it out or felt the ground. Couldn't be happier with it. It really made my -7 bag seem far warmer than I was used to with my old pro-lite plus, not to mention the massive upgrade in comfort!

Last edited:

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
I tried the NeoAir and thought it was way too narrow. Upgraded to the Big Agnus Q-Core Insulated and havent looked back.

Take a 0 degree. You can always unzip it as needed

I use a Thermarest Base Camp sleepung pad and a Marmot 20 degree synthetic sleeping bag. Very comfortable.

tuffcity

WKR
I use the exped down and a North Face 0 degree (F). The exped is a touch heavier than most pads but the sleeping comfort is well worth it. I also prefer to open my bag up if its too warm than wear every piece of clothing at night because it got colder than expected.

agaugler

FNG
I’m taking a chilkoot 15 and the neoair xlite on a sheep hunt in the NWT in early August. I’ve used that same setup in Montana during rifle elk/deer in mid to late October and been toasty and comfortable.

I was nice and comfortable with the Xtherm Max and a 0* EE quilt the last week of August, first week of September in the NWT. If you're heli assisted, I'd considered subbing my MegaMat for the Xtherm. Backpack, I'd probably stick to the Xtherm.

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
Not the kindest option for your budget, but...

A NeoAir XTherm and a WM Badger (microfiber) 15° bag is what I use up here for hunts. I like the roominess of the Badger, but it's not excessive nor heat draining. I'm a warm sleeper, 5'10" 185lbs, and for me that combo is perfect.

I have been trying a few different pads recently, but the XTherm is my trusted go to.

flashgordon

Lil-Rokslider
In 2020 I was in NWT with Arctic Red River for Dalls. I used a Big Agnes 0 Blackburn with a insulated SLX 25" wide pad. Warm and comfortable and much appreciated while tent bound for 5 days!

OP
aaron14

aaron14

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. After reading through these and doing some other research I ended up going with the Exped Ultra 7R pad, and might just stick with my current bag in hopes that the extra insulation I get from that pad will be enough.

Johnboy

WKR
I’m taking a chilkoot 15 and the neoair xlite on a sheep hunt in the NWT in early August. I’ve used that same setup in Montana during rifle elk/deer in mid to late October and been toasty and comfortable.
I'm thinking about getting one of these bad boys for my upcoming float hunt in AK. I was originally discouraged from going with down due to the potential for it to wet out. Any reservations about moisture over an extended timeframe? Thanks!

agaugler

FNG
I'm thinking about getting one of these bad boys for my upcoming float hunt in AK. I was originally discouraged from going with down due to the potential for it to wet out. Any reservations about moisture over an extended timeframe?
I'm thinking about getting one of these bad boys for my upcoming float hunt in AK. I was originally discouraged from going with down due to the potential for it to wet out. Any reservations about moisture over an extended timeframe? Thanks!
If I’ve gotta carry it for 10+ days on my back, I’m taking a treated down bag in a waterproof roll top dry bag. If it floats or goes on a horse, I’d say take the synthetic. AK hunts, especially down on the rivers and lakes, are a much damper environment.

b.purcell

FNG
I spent almost 2 months in the field in Alaska last year and have spent many nights across Montana in archery and rifle seasons and have used the same setup for years. Stone Glacier 15* bag and Neoair Xtherm. You’ll be more than comfortable from about 5-10 degrees and warmer.