Sleeping bag and quilt layering - anyone done this?

yardwork

Lil-Rokslider
I have a bit of a dilemma. My NF Cat's Meow has a +20 deg F rating and has been a good bag and still in great shape. The dilemma is its too warm for summer and not quite warm enough for the real cold stuff in winter. I don't really want to buy two new bags for the warm and cold seasons so I thought I'd make or buy a quilt rated for say 30 or 40 degrees and use one of them or both together depending upon the weather.

Has anyone tried this? Only downsides I can think of are total weight and exit-ability. Weight won't be that bad because if I'm taking both it means winter camping and usually pull a pulk for gear transport. Any backpacking scenarios would be one or the other. The other concern is getting out in a timely manner. Going to take a few minutes to get zippers undone if I have to pee or re-secure a tarp, worse if I have it all in my bivy!

I throw my Enlightened Equipment Prodigy over my 0 degree bag when temps go south of 0. It works great for warmth, but I am typically in a horse camp in those temps, so weight isn't an issue.

I've got a 10* EE quilt that I plan to use this Sept. Always want to have a kifaru woobie in the bottom of my pack for the emergency spike camp or to boost my quilt temp. Seems like your plan is solid to me.

I would think that plan would work just fine. I don't understand how your zipper concern is any different than what you are dealing with now since top quilts don't have zippers. I'd probably drape the top quilt over the sleeping bag and I bet it would keep you warm in the situations you describe. While heavier to bring 2 separate items, using them together would create little air pockets between the two that I would think add to the insulation. Same idea as layering clothing, more heat trapped between the two layers.

Thanks guys, going to give it a shot. Yeah, the zipper thing was kind of a joke. I'm sure we've all had times were we needed to scramble out of bags. Like when you're out truck camping and the rain made the ground soft and the rain fly pegs let go in a thunder storm and the fly takes off. Get the camera ready to roll if something like that happens when I'm in a mummy bag, under a quilt zipped in a bivy!

I have a North Face Cats Meow 20 degree bag. I think it is lousy for my purposes. Not warm enough for it's weight and packed volume. So I have relegated it to car camping. I have used it on winter trips with a GoLite 1+ season quilt inside. It is super warm with that quilt inside. That quilt is pretty low volume. I don't know what it would be like with a bulkier quilt. And of course the size of the sleeper matters.

Funny story about my Cats Meow, I had a very old model, and the zipper cover/baffle or whatever it is called was sewn on the bottom side. So gravity would make it fall away and cold air would pour in through the zipper. It may have been 20 years old when I sent it back to North Face and they replaced it with a current bag. And that was at least ten years ago.

I have a newer 20 degree cats meow. I think it is decent. I do exactly.what you are talking about and have for a couple years. I picked the light bag component of the mil spec sleep system. I think it's a stand alone 40 or.so degree bag.

I cut the heavy zipper and webbing off to turn it into a quilt. It still has snaps that will close it up like a bag but I usually run it as a top layer over my NF bag. It still has an enclosed foot box so it stays put really well and f I tuck the sides in tight it keeps me plenty warm down to zero.

I also like that I can unzip my inner bag so I don't have to be completely "mummied up" and move my arms while keeping my core and the space immediately around me warm and covered up and it's long enough for me to pull it up over my head opposite the mummy bag hood when it's really cold to cover my face.

It well worth the weight and very versatile. I use it like a poncho for glassing as well. For what it cost I don't have to worry about dragging it around like a mountain blankie :)

I have a bit of a dilemma. My NF Cat's Meow has a +20 deg F rating and has been a good bag and still in great shape. The dilemma is its too warm for summer and not quite warm enough for the real cold stuff in winter. I don't really want to buy two new bags for the warm and cold seasons so I thought I'd make or buy a quilt rated for say 30 or 40 degrees and use one of them or both together depending upon the weather.

Has anyone tried this? Only downsides I can think of are total weight and exit-ability. Weight won't be that bad because if I'm taking both it means winter camping and usually pull a pulk for gear transport. Any backpacking scenarios would be one or the other. The other concern is getting out in a timely manner. Going to take a few minutes to get zippers undone if I have to pee or re-secure a tarp, worse if I have it all in my bivy!

Yardwork, I totally think that it is a great concept. One of the things I have been toying with and going to do is get half bag and a quilt. I'll always have my half bag with me and the quilt will stay at my spike camp. One of the things that I want to be able to do is be able to spike out from my spike camp if I find a big buck at dark. With a half bag and my puffy, I can do it somewhat comfortably. And I really would not worry about the weight. With a decent half bag at about a pound and a quilt, you still are somewhere around 2 and a half pounds.

Randy

I have a HPG Mountain Serape that works like you describe. And as everyone knows it works as a coat too.

I've used fleece blankets inside my bag for years.
Amazing how much a fleece or two can raise your comfort level.
Yep, this is what I've done in the past. I have a cheap fleece sleeping bag and a cotton liner bag that work pretty well except its too short for me so my shoulders come uncovered and get cold. Perhaps all I need is this Snuggie?! :cool: Now in camo for those brutal ridge glassing sessions!
http://www.mysnuggiestore.com/camouflage-snuggie-blanket

Randy/mtnwrunner - your idea goes along the lines of another idea I've had for the quilt and that would be a lightweight but insulated and windproof blanket to take in the field. I'd like to have something like this along on a November/December treestand sit to wrap around my feet and legs.

Back