Sleeping bag as a quilt???

Jakerex

WKR
So, this quilt thing is new to me. I understand that the more loft on top of you, the warmer you’ll be.

But say I buy a 0* sleeping bag, which should be plenty warm enough for the majority of my camping. Couldn’t I just unzip it, leaving a foot box, and use it just like a quilt? Assuming I have a good insulated pad? The sleeping bag would be wider too. Am I missing something other than a quilt with similar temperature ratings being lighter in weight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carr5vols

WKR
I do that exact thing in my 20 degree down bag but made a few mods. I sewed 3 large buttons down each side roughly one foot apart at the zipper and use scuni head wraps to atrach to each button and go under sleeping pad or me depending on temp. I am out of state or would send a pic if you hit me up this weekend i will send a pic of the system. Screenshot_20220308-185001_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
Quilt packs up a lot smaller, depending on what bag you were looking at, you would have one side of the bag with a lot of down, the other side with way less if you open it up as a quilt. Quilt will be even all the way across. Both have their place

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I have been using my Marmot Phase 20 bag as a quilt, primarily because I'm too cheap to buy a quilt at the moment and that bag is cut slim enough that I find it hard to sleep in. That said, 0 degree bags are heavy. While every one sleeps different (my wife uses a -5 degree bag for 40 degree weather), you can probably get a 20 degree bag and just add clothing as it gets colder to stretch its capabilities.

Being too hot is a legitimate issue and venting 25 degree air onto yourself at night is not a solution I find comfortable.

In short, for most people a good 20 degree bag will be more useful all around and a 0 degree bag is something to add if specifically needed. Think of a sleep system like a layering system, multiple components that can be used in various combinations will be more versatile than a single heavy piece. Also, like a layering system, there is a place for a heavy piece, but most people do not really need it (how many people do you know that own a down parka).

As quilts are cheaper, get a quality 20 degree quilt, add a light bivy (like a Bora Gear) and get a sleeping bag liner if you expect to stretch the system. A good down jacket also goes a long way, along with a beany and long underwear.

Voyageur

WKR
So, this quilt thing is new to me. I understand that the more loft on top of you, the warmer you’ll be.

But say I buy a 0* sleeping bag, which should be plenty warm enough for the majority of my camping. Couldn’t I just unzip it, leaving a foot box, and use it just like a quilt? Assuming I have a good insulated pad? The sleeping bag would be wider too. Am I missing something other than a quilt with similar temperature ratings being lighter in weight?

Before I purchased a quilt that is what I did to give me a feel for what it would be like using one.

wapitibob

WKR

exactly what I do and it works fine

Voyageur

WKR
Seconding what @Marbles said regarding layering, that is what I did before purchasing my 0 degree bag...I supplemented my 20 degree bag with a 10 degree down quilt. Worked great.

mlgc20

WKR
Sure. It will work. In the same way I can use a magnifying glass instead of my reading glasses. It works, but it's not optimal at all. First, you're carrying weight & bulk you don't need. Second, and related, an unzipped sleeping bag is wider than a quilt. That makes it harder to manage and less efficient. Third, you're missing the pad attachment system. This is really the key to a quilt. It keeps it in place when moving around at night, keeping out drafts, and generally making it more comfortable. Fourth, the sleeping bag hood tends to get in the way when flipped around.

Like I said, you can do it. I spent countless nights using my sleeping bag as a quilt. But, once I switched to a specifically designed quilt, the difference was night and day. I switched to a quilt 7ish years ago. And personally, I wouldn't even consider going back to a bag. But, there are folks that don't like quilts. That's why it's great to have options.