Sleeping bag comparison help

Amac1989

FNG
Looking for a sub $200 sleeping bag.
I made a post earlier about the Cat's meow. Before I spend the money, one quick final review of what's on sale and available.

Could I make due with my Raymer in a Bivy/tarp in NorCal towards late fall?
EDIT: would a down bag be better?

What I currently have: Coleman Raymer Adult 40 *cheap*

What I'm looking at
Mountain Hardware
HyperLamina Flame (20-30F bag, 3lbs) ~125 shipped
HyperLamina Spark (30-40F bag, 1.75lbs) ~125 shipped

EDIT: Ratio 32 Down sleeping bag (2.5lbs) ~140 shipped

North Face Cat's Meow(22F bag, 2.5lbs) ~160 shipped

sneaky

"DADDY"
The new Nemo Kyan bag is a little over $200 but right around 2lbs for a synthetic 20 degree bag. Do you qualify for any of the military or law enforcement type discount programs?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
A

Amac1989

FNG
The new Nemo Kyan bag is a little over $200 but right around 2lbs for a synthetic 20 degree bag. Do you qualify for any of the military or law enforcement type discount programs?

I do not, however I do have a 20% off one regular priced item from REI so I could save about 50 bucks that way.
How are Nemo bags?

sneaky

"DADDY"
They make good gear, that Kyan is a new synthetic bag with primaloft. They make a wide range of bags, worth taking a look at them. The Steelhead is another synthetic from them.

I can comment on the cat poo bag. If it says 22*, it’s a 50* bag. I went through 2 thinking it was an awesome bag and then I got a higher rated lighter bag that was WAY warmer. I was cold in the sierras in October. No weather.

Jalliston

Lil-Rokslider
The Nemo Steelhead has been on pretty deep discounts in a lot of places lately. Their temps are lower limit based, not comfort.

sneaky

"DADDY"
The Nemo Steelhead has been on pretty deep discounts in a lot of places lately. Their temps are lower limit based, not comfort.
Unfortunately that's what a majority of the manufacturers do. Post the lower limit rating as the bag rating, and not the comfort rating. Western Mountaineering is one of the few that lists their ratings as a comfort rating, but those are way out of his budget. To the OP, make sure on any bag you look at whether the rating is the lower limit rating or the comfort rating. Usually about a 10 degree difference between the two.

Lando

WKR
For that price range, I'd get a Wiggy's Super Light. A bit more weight (4 pounds), but you'll actually be comfortable down to 10 or zero degrees.

sneaky

"DADDY"
It's not the weight on the Wiggys, it's the volume. Those things are pack space eaters. Great base camp bags, but I would never carry one anywhere.

Takeem406

WKR
Might be able to find an Enlightened Equipment quilt for about that price. Maybe not a custom but probably a Massdrop or a stock quilt. Maybe used.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

*zap*

WKR
There are plenty of good deals on very good condition used bags on ebay. You just need to take your time and look over all the listings.