Sleeping bag for 10deg and colder

zekesteve

FNG
buy a kifaru woobie to throw on top of your badger...doubles as an excuse to buy a woobie for late season glassing.

I'm a weird cold sleeper, I've been toasty warm at a confirmed 3 deg night in my backyard in my badger, and then this Sept I was pretty cold, but not too cold to sleep in the teens a few nights, same pad, same tent, same base layer on.

I'm starting to think how warm I am prior or what I've had for dinner prior to crawling in my bag really makes the biggest difference.

Could also boil a nalgene full of water and it'll heat that badger all night if you put it down at your feet.
Do you use the Woobie under your bag, under your pad or like a liner?

JJJ

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had a Valandre shocking blue for about 5 years.
very warm bag and very roomy as well, especially in the torso.
Everything about it is exceptional.
I wouldn’t trade it for a FF, WM, SG etc..

AdamLewis

FNG
I have spent many nights under a JrB Old Rag Mountain quilt in single digit and negative temps and it has kept me plenty warm. If anything, it is a little too warm at 15-20 degrees, to the point I want to hang parts of me out from under it that end up getting very cold.

Pad-wise I sleep on a Thermarest X Therm. Usually with a waffle pad under it if very cold. I have an Exped with a higher R rating but don't think I've ever used it.

tdhanses

WKR
buy a kifaru woobie to throw on top of your badger...doubles as an excuse to buy a woobie for late season glassing.

I'm a weird cold sleeper, I've been toasty warm at a confirmed 3 deg night in my backyard in my badger, and then this Sept I was pretty cold, but not too cold to sleep in the teens a few nights, same pad, same tent, same base layer on.

I'm starting to think how warm I am prior or what I've had for dinner prior to crawling in my bag really makes the biggest difference.

Could also boil a nalgene full of water and it'll heat that badger all night if you put it down at your feet.
I tried the woobie on top, it seems to always slide off at night, i went to a SG 0* bag and it works great in single digit temps, plenty of room for me to toss and turn.

Blandry

WKR
I have an SG 0deg too. It's the best $600 I've ever spent. You would be hard pressed to find something as warm, compressible and light. That mountain quilt is 30 oz so another 12 for the whole bag.. seems worth it to me.

Only thing I wish is that they would have extended the zipper guard another .5''.. of course that would have added weight. I've patched a few tiny holes from zipper catches because the bag skin is so light.

Last edited:

EdP

WKR
What vandy123 and Zap said make more sense to me unless you are into having a sleeping bag for every occasion. Add layers below and above if you have to, it is a much more versitile solution.

I'm using the Stone Glacier 0* Chilkoot and I'll say it's fantastic. It compresses down really well and fluffs out great. The material and construction is top notch. Never had issues with being cold. Extremely lightweight too.

stonecw

FNG
There is a guy on utube in Norway that sleeps in tent and/or under the stars in very cold conditions and uses 1-2 waffle's over his inflatable pad and I believe the inflatable is not a crazy high r value but a summer pad....he uses a wm lynx gws. I will look for that info and post it if I find it.

Thanks for sharing the videos.

Blandry

WKR
SG Chilkooks just came back in stock via email... THE best bag you could own this side of $1k+ WM negative rated