Sleeping bag for a big guy!

dogman11

FNG
I bought a kuiu long bag and got in it today, not going to work. I have a sheep hunt the first week of aug in the Yukon and am looking for a recommendation I’m 6’3 wear a 52 long coat and 34 waistline . Any help?

mtbn

FNG
I'm about the same size and get claustrophobic in sleeping bags. I have a 30 degree KUIU long wide and it is borderline. I also have a Kifaru side zip long wide and it is very comfortable. I have borrowed a long wide Big Agnes Encampment and it had lots of room. These are synthetic bags and not as light or packable as the KUIU.

EastMT

WKR
My dad is 6’4”, 64” chest. Couldn’t find anything that fit comfortable. Ordered him an Enlightened equipment convert, 800 fill, 75” circumference, 6’ long, huge! 20 deg rating, Weighs 30 oz, and is very nice. Wasn’t crazy expensive, 4-6 week lead time, great company. Pic you colors, size, even pick heavier outside material if you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

*zap*

WKR
If you do not mind the weight Wiggys offers some great bags in a very sleepable size. I think the hunter rectangular bags are the roomiest but I have the overbag, ultralight and superlight all in xlwb. Extra long wide bag. I use the overbag with an inner bag and do not zip the top of the innerbag so I have some more room....I zip in the bottom of the inner bag only. If you buy new call and order your bags with breakaway zippers. You give a good pull up on the closed zipper and it releases the whole zipper. Awesome feature on a sleeping bag. I have been very pleased with my Wiggys bags but they are somewhat heavy/bulky for long backpack hikes.

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
What temp rating are you looking for?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
D

dogman11

FNG
I'm sheep hunting with Bonnet Plume Aug 9-19th in the Yukon all backpack, I'm thinking a 30 degree bag and a thermorest pad. This is my first backpack hunt so I'm open for all suggestions!!

Old_Navy

Lil-Rokslider
I'm 6'5" & 280, and run a Enlightened Equipment XL/XW Revelation. All the room you'll ever want.
a 30 degree will come in less than 26 oz. & compress to next to nothing!

Take a look at the Western Mountaineering Ponderosa. It is a 15 degree bag and is 67 inches wide. Plus its a semi rectangular so it's more roomy than some of their other models. I also hear the Kifaru Slick bag is a really wide bag too. I am a big dude too and I have a heck of a time finding a good sized bag too. I had a xwide quilt and even that was too small for me.

mtbn

FNG
Which KUIU bag do you have? I took my 30 degree KUIU last summer to the Beartooths to save on space and weight and wore a down puffy jacket which I take anyway and left the top half of the bag unzipped. It was at or below freezing at night and I stayed comfortable. Never been on a backpack sheep hunt but I imagine every pound saved is huge.

OP
D

dogman11

FNG
15 degree xl
I’m just way too big in the shoulders and arms for it
I wear 3xl in all kuiu coats so they fit me in the shoulders and sleeves with extra room in the waist

Shrek

WKR
Western Mountaineering Terralite 6’6” will be comfortable and will keep you warm to its rating and with base layers on a little lower. That time of year in the sheep mountains could be anywhere from 15* to 70* but the 25* Terralite should be fine unless you hit the extreme end and then wear your puffy to bed. Well insulated mat is critical. Personally I’d take a Sequoia 5* for plenty of margin. I sleep cold when I’m exhausted. Good hunting.

BCSojourner

Lil-Rokslider
You might consider an EE Revelation quilt 20 degree in long, x-wide (packs down real small and light) with a Big Agnes liner (lots of choices such as primaloft silver, downtek, wool, etc. which adds additional protection and warmth and also packs small and light), plus a high-quality lightweight insulated pad and lightweight bivy to slip it all into and keep it protected. Probably 4 lbs or less for everything and you should be pretty well protected. Also gives you plenty of options depending on temps.

I am close to your size. I rock an EE convert in synthetic. It is bulky and heavy but it is super comfortable in quilt or bag mode. Plenty of room. Check out montbell. They have some bags with elastic spiral baffles. I like mine. Western mountaineering seems to be the bees knees but they are pricey.

machinethomas

Lil-Rokslider
I am close to your size. I rock an EE convert in synthetic. It is bulky and heavy but it is super comfortable in quilt or bag mode. Plenty of room. Check out montbell. They have some bags with elastic spiral baffles. I like mine. Western mountaineering seems to be the bees knees but they are pricey.

I am a 3XL in Kuiu and Sitka tops. I also have the synthetic EE Convert in long XWide. It’s big and super versatile, it has the full length zipper and can be used as a bag or a quilt. I would think the down version in a 30 degree would be plenty light enough to take on your hunt. Best of luck with your search and more importantly your hunt.

https://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=14003&p_id=2321183

That is the montbell bag I have. My shoulders are 48-50. That montbell worked well for me and they have down bags with the same spiral baffle design that are lighter. I have had mine in 20 weather and slept fine with minimal clothing.

The EE concert I bought is x long and x wide. I went synthetic and I have heard a few complaints about lack of fill in their down quilts but most people seem happy. They have a bit of lead time on orders.

Check out big Agnes too. Their stuff gets high marks from the husky crowd.

EastMT

WKR
I am a 3XL in Kuiu and Sitka tops. I also have the synthetic EE Convert in long XWide. It’s big and super versatile, it has the full length zipper and can be used as a bag or a quilt. I would think the down version in a 30 degree would be plenty light enough to take on your hunt. Best of luck with your search and more importantly your hunt.

Yes, the convert I bought for dads goat hunt last year was 30 oz, not much larger than a nalgene in a compressed bag. Down is pretty good for packing small vs synthetic.

Beendare

WKR
First off, I wouldn't go with a 30 deg bag for that hunt- 20 deg or 15 deg would be my choice. If doing the quilt- go warmer still.

We are approximately the same size, I 'm 6'4"wear a 46L suit coat. I'm running a couple of those Montbell stretch bags and I like them. They will be a little tighter on you but the stretch gives you flexibility you don't have in other bags. I have their 30 deg version I use for summer hunts and the 20 deg version for fall hunts. Their 30 deg is too light. These Montbell bags can usually be found on sale about this time of year for the next few weeks at the online outfits.

The other option is to have one made, probably worth it for your shape. You could have someone like Feathered Friends, or Wiggys make you a bag thats wider at the shoulders without the extra in the middle. I'm not sure if either of those outfits will make you a custom ...but someone will. Don't chince out on fill....go 800 or 900 fill down