Sleeping bag for a reptilian/cold blooded guy - AZ Jan OTC hunt

zloomis

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah I don't stress too much on if the down is treated as long as it's from a good manufacturer that is not stripping the down of it's natural oils and that they use a good shell material. Others may have better experience on how critical it is, but many of the top manufacturers do not opt to treat their down. Also if you are new to this, make sure you don't skimp on the pad and get one with a good R-Value. Thermarest and Exped are great options.

Dools009

FNG
1+2 on the Xtherm. My wife is very cold sleeper and we spend a lot of nights out each year. She uses an Xtherm year round (add a closed cell foam pad in winter). She has a 20F WM bag that she uses for anything down to freezing. Anything below freezing and shes on to a 0F Mountain Hardwear Phantom.

I'd add that a decent set of down pants (shes got montbells UL version), along with a warm jacket and hat warm inside of the sleeping bag can make a huge difference and help retain the heat when you have to leave the bag to go to the bathroom etc.

Last edited:
AZ guy here. Pretty much use my 20* slick bag year round here. Some of the colder months up north i’ll sleep in my puffy layers. I’m a cold sleeper as well.

I do a lot of camping/hunting in AZ and if you want a bulletproof toaster over then get a heavy, bulky Wiggy's bag. My freedom shelter converts from sleeping bag to poncho which is nice on the those frozen, bitter cold mornings when ya don't wanna get outta your bag cuz you can see your breath.

Wiggys Freedom Shelter Ultralite.jpg
Wiggys Freedom Shelter Ultralite poncho.jpg