Sleeping bag for brooks range

Wondering if I could save weight and go with a 30 degree bag for August hunt in the Brooks. I would be bringing a puffy set for glassing and safety in case I have to spend the night on the mountain... could layer up under the 30 degree bag if It got cold.

I took a 15 degree bag to the Alaska range and was comfortable in a t-shirt.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
In my experience, I don’t mind packing around a heavier sleeping bag and properly rated sleeping pad, in exchange for a guaranteed warm nights rest. Also, it’s easy to open up the bag if you’re too warm.

Going the other way around sucks in my opinion. Trying to get warm and being under-bagged is just brutal for me.

Wondering if I could save weight and go with a 30 degree bag for August hunt in the Brooks. I would be bringing a puffy set for glassing and safety in case I have to spend the night on the mountain... could layer up under the 30 degree bag if It got cold.

I took a 15 degree bag to the Alaska range and was comfortable in a t-shirt.

That’s a tough one as it depends on the year, and with things being so screwed up (weather wise), the last decade or so, it’s really hard to answer. I hunted the south side of the Brooks one year and had snow in mid Aug., then hunted the north side the next year in late Aug/early Sep., and over a two week period of time we never saw temps below about 60°. We hunted in shorts and t-shirts the entire time, and hung out in camp wearing the same thing but also barefoot. Hard say’n not knowing. All in all, given what you described bringing, I would think that you’ll be good to go, but you should also bring a “safety kit/supplies dry bag” and leave at your drop off spot for emergency purposes. JMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve been hunting the Brooks for Dalls since 2007 and guiding sheep hunters in them as well. I’m on the North East side from 5 Aug-28 Aug every year. I use a high quality (Kuiu or Western Mtn) 30 degree bag and have never wished for more. The weight reduction in the decreased temp rating allows two more days for food provisions. With carrying a Kuiu super down puffy jacket and pants I dual use these when temps get a tad on the cold side at night where perhaps a 30 degree bag is too cold without the puffy pants/jacket. I would have the puffy jacket and pants with me no matter what bag I use so having the dual use criteria helps a lot with all gear when deciding to cut weight.

Last edited:

mobilefamily

Lil-Rokslider
I did 10 nights up there this August. My system was an insulated pad, small flannel throw, 20 degree quilt. It was fine but I wouldn't have wanted anything less. Many days I came back wet and cold, and had to get in my quilt to dry everything out. On that note, my Kuiu breathable Chugach rain gear soaked through on about day 3. We had awful weather with rain or mist pretty much the whole time.

Good luck on your hunt.

duchntr

WKR
Im partial to my 15deg bag for most hunts in the fall. On my sheep hunt up there last august it got pretty cold a few nights and I was happy with and my BA Slx pad and bag. Not to say you couldn't get buy with a 30deg bag an a good pad though, everyone is different.

OP
B
I’ve been hunting the Brooks for Dalls since 2007 and guiding sheep hunters in them as well. I’m on the North East side from 5 Aug-28 Aug every year. I use a high quality (Kuiu or Western Mtn) 30 degree bag and have never wished for more. The weight reduction in the decreased temp rating allows two more days for food provisions. With carrying a Kuiu super down puffy jacket and pants I dual use these when temps get a tad on the cold side at night where perhaps a 30 degree bag is too cold without the puffy pants/jacket. I would have the puffy jacket and pants with me no matter what bag I use so having the dual use criteria helps a lot with all gear when deciding to cut weight.
That's what I was thinking

tdot

WKR
r

What's your daily food allowance???

Most high quality bags are roughly 4 - 6 ounces weight difference for every 10 degree temp swing. So going from a 30 degree bag to a 0 degree bag should only be roughly a pound.

OP
B
Good point. I pack at least 2 lb per day. So at most an extra half day. At 225, 1lb isn’t much % wise, but trimming ounces adds up. Just looking to get pack as lean as possible. Also not likely to be carrying tent/bag/pad daily. Will be carrying it with half a sheep though... hopefully

r

What's your daily food allowance???

Most high quality bags are roughly 4 - 6 ounces weight difference for every 10 degree temp swing. So going from a 30 degree bag to a 0 degree bag should only be roughly a pound.

About 9oz a day at most.

With the change in bag rating I also cut my rating on my closed cell and NeoAir mattress. I get a net savings of about 2lbs

Not to mention the volume I save in the packageabilty of a smaller bag

miloak

FNG
I won't recommend a specific bag but just say - Consider how a good night's sleep affects your physical performance vs. saving ounces.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Have you looked into quilts at all? They're definitely not for everyone, but if they work for you, you could possibly shave considerable wt. (especially when you consider down quilt vs. synthetic bag), by using one. My 35 degree, regular length/wide width, down quilt weighs 15 oz. in a DCF dry bag, and is just a bit bigger than the size of a 32 oz. Nalgene bottle. That, coupled with a short Thermarest X-lite pad, at 8 oz., and my puffy gear and beanie, I can easily be comfortable down to 20 degrees. I'll often use my empty pack, under my legs/feet, for added insulation from the ground when it gets that cold. When I'm not too sure what the temps are going to be, but kind of expecting it to be in the teens, sometimes I'll bring a 10 degree quilt (20oz.), along with the 35 for a little extra insurance.

OP
B
I have heard of people using a short pad and a pack for their feet. What do you do if your pack is wet though? I guess if you wipe off the pack cover and leave it on, you would have a dry surface.

For the quilt, I move around a lot in my sleep. Is the temp rating based on having the quilt tucked underneath you? Might be a challenge for me to keep everything snug

OP
B
About 9oz a day at most.

With the change in bag rating I also cut my rating on my closed cell and NeoAir mattress. I get a net savings of about 2lbs

About 9oz a day at most.

I think I would have a hard time functioning on 9oz a day. How many calories per day does give you?

I have heard of people using a short pad and a pack for their feet. What do you do if your pack is wet though? I guess if you wipe off the pack cover and leave it on, you would have a dry surface.

For the quilt, I move around a lot in my sleep. Is the temp rating based on having the quilt tucked underneath you? Might be a challenge for me to keep everything snug
All my sleep stuff goes into a UL wt. bivy (I use floorless shelters), so if the pack, or anything else for that matter that's outside of my bivy, is wet, it doesn't really matter. Quilts generally come with some sort of strapping system that straps the sides of the quilt either to the side of the pad, or just under it. I've never used the strap system though because everything is contained in the bivy. I turn a fair amount while sleeping, and rarely sleep on my back, but I haven't had too many problems with drafts with it inside the bivy. I think that getting a wide, or extra wide quilt is key for people that turn a lot.