Sleeping bag for brooks range

tdot

WKR
Good point. I pack at least 2 lb per day. So at most an extra half day. At 225, 1lb isn’t much % wise, but trimming ounces adds up. Just looking to get pack as lean as possible. Also not likely to be carrying tent/bag/pad daily. Will be carrying it with half a sheep though... hopefully

I'm all over trimming ounces. If you could see my gear list this year and the revisions and modifications I've made to it, your probably laugh. (One of the side benefits of being an at home dad for a year!)

There are definitely ways to cut ounces, even pounds out of a sleep system. But one thing I would recommend is to thoroughly test them before going into the mountains with them. Some guys can sleep well with a borderline system, some can't. I'm somewhere in between.

A bad night's sleep isnt worth a pound off your back.

Personally I've moved to contoured quilts that can fully seal up like a bag, if conditions dictate. (Though still no hood.) That's in an overstuffed 30 degree quilt, so call it a 25 degree. Its ounces lighter then most ultralight 30 degree bags.

Kuiu Ultra Down Jacket/Pant. These are crazy light, but will still keep me warm when worn under a shell, even with just sitting around, to about 25 or so. But I can move in them if necessary, with temps hovering around freezing. The thicker down jackets, I just cant move in them without sweating excessively. Unless its zero. I have a 15 ounce Apex quilt that I can toss in my pack if necessary and temps are projected to be way colder. The Apex quilt, Ultra Down Jkt/Pant combo is the same weight as the Pro Jkt/Pant combo. But more versatile, IMO. But the system I've built is for those variable late summer mountain trips, where freezing nights will happen, rain, snow and hot days, are all just as likely.

Look at your food allowance too. I have in the past built over 3000 calorie days at 1.5 to 1.75 pounds a day. If you can bulk up your daily calories and drop even .25 pounds, that's 2.5 pounds on a 10 day hunt, and every day trip will be lighter. It might be more expensive food, but buying new quilts and gear is even more expensive, and not alot of places you can strip away 2.5 pounds of weight.

tdot

WKR
About 9oz a day at most.

With the change in bag rating I also cut my rating on my closed cell and NeoAir mattress. I get a net savings of about 2lbs

Not to mention the volume I save in the packageabilty of a smaller bag

9oz. Wow. That's impressive. How do you do that?

What do your client's take per day?

I regularly fast at home, I'm comfortable being hungry and I can complete some pretty decent climbs for a day, on very few calories. I have always trained my body to operate well under a calorie deficit. Not because of any diet or fad, but I simply function better that way. And I've operated that way for years. But I can't maintain that for more then a few days. Once I'm in the mountains climbing for more then 3 days, I'm struggling if I'm not taking in 3000+ calories a day.

OP
B
Have you looked into quilts at all? They're definitely not for everyone, but if they work for you, you could possibly shave considerable wt. (especially when you consider down quilt vs. synthetic bag), by using one. My 35 degree, regular length/wide width, down quilt weighs 15 oz. in a DCF dry bag, and is just a bit bigger than the size of a 32 oz. Nalgene bottle. That, coupled with a short Thermarest X-lite pad, at 8 oz., and my puffy gear and beanie, I can easily be comfortable down to 20 degrees. I'll often use my empty pack, under my legs/feet, for added insulation from the ground when it gets that cold. When I'm not too sure what the temps are going to be, but kind of expecting it to be in the teens, sometimes I'll bring a 10 degree quilt (20oz.), along with the 35 for a little extra insurance.
What brand do you recommend?

I Sheep hunted in the Brooks in 2017 on the North Slope. If going back I would definitely take my zero degree bag again.

What brand do you recommend?
Man, that's a tough one. There are quite a few good quilt manufactures out there these days and I've only had experience with two different brands, so I'm probably not the right person to answer that. I currently have 4 quilts of various degree ratings, 3 Enlightened Equipment quilts and one homemade job, so I guess my answer would be EE, but again I've only had experience with two different manufactures.

OP
B

I regularly fast at home, I'm comfortable being hungry and I can complete some pretty decent climbs for a day, on very few calories. I have always trained my body to operate well under a calorie deficit. Not because of any diet or fad, but I simply function better that way. And I've operated that way for years. But I can't maintain that for more then a few days. Once I'm in the mountains climbing for more then 3 days, I'm struggling if I'm not taking in 3000+ calories a day.
I think I'm stuck at about 2lb per day even with high quality, calorie dense choices. Not blessed with the best build for mountain hunting, but I'm strong and lean and I don't skip leg day or neglect the cardio. I train specifically for sheep hunting. I'm hooked. I think the best I can do is trim down my sleep system/tent. I think going underfed will make me miserable and perform poorly.

OP
B
Man, that's a tough one. There are quite a few good quilt manufactures out there these days and I've only had experience with two different brands, so I'm probably not the right person to answer that. I currently have 4 quilts of various degree ratings, 3 Enlightened Equipment quilts and one homemade job, so I guess my answer would be EE, but again I've only had experience with two different manufactures.
I"ll check out EE!

My lightest sleep system for a solo hunt. Includes shelter, stakes, quilt, pad, bivy, and pillow (dry bag that everything is stuffed into).
6377b7082a851e1cf44ee8c6ab6d8c4c.jpg
5689cdd341dc3370258621b3be7628fd.jpg

634d0f9351d625cd652aee4399e861d2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Switched to Peak freeze dried. Pork rinds, dried Parmesan Cheese.

I loose over a lb a day.

Clients pick what they want to eat but nothing over 1.5lbs a day. Normally I can keep them at 1 lb. I put a couple food caches to supplement throughout 25days guiding.

Ive been 100 percent on guided hunts so sheep and caribou is always counted on when setting up daily rations.

Myself and clients have never gone a day without food. I am usually always hungry but I’ve found out over the decades of doing this that even when I have all the food I would ever consider carrying I am always hungry. So I’ve learned to live with it.

OP
B
My lightest sleep system for a solo hunt. Includes shelter, stakes, quilt, pad, bivy, and pillow (dry bag that everything is stuffed into).

Does this need trekking poles to pitch? What happens when you leave base camp and take the trekking poles? do you have to break down the shelter and take it with you?

So, full disclosure, this is my UL spike camp system that I've only used for 1-2 nights, away from my regular spike camp, if that makes sense. This includes a Mountain Laurel Designs DCF Solo Patrol tarp/8-mini Groundhog stakes, guy lines, and Zpacks Solo Plus DCF bathtub floor clipped inside @ 15.45 oz. (pitched with trekking poles), small Xlite pad @ 8 oz., EE 35 degree down quilt @ 14.5 oz., in a Hyperlite Mountain Gear DCF dry bag/pillow @ 1.5 oz.

My standard spike camp would be the same except, minus the Patrol tarp and bathtub floor, and replaced with a two person Locus Gear DCF Hapi shelter @ 17.1 oz. all included, and a Borah Gear DCF bivy @ 4.3 oz.

So, basically a 5.95 oz. net gain over the UL solo spike camp.

Both shelters require trekking poles for set up, although the Hapi only requires 1 pole. I've taken the poles out and just left the shelter pinned to the ground, covering the rest of my gear that I didn't want to carry around for the day, and I have also just packed everything up when I've wanted to move around. It just depends on whether or not I'm planning on coming back to the area where I camped the night before.

A typical scenario would be to spend a couple days hiking into an area that has good potential, and setting up the two person shelter to hunt around that area. If I think that there's a good chance that I may not be coming back to spike camp on a particular day, I'll pack up a couple days worth of food, cook system, and UL spike so I'm prepared to comfortably spend the night or two away from my main shelter. If I end up coming back to my main shelter, and not spending the night away from it, I've only carried around an extra 75 oz., give or take, worth of gear/food for the day. Not too big of a deal considering the only other stuff in my pack that day would usually just be a spotter/tripod, kill kit, puffy gear, rain gear (assuming I'm not wearing it), and rifle.

Last edited:

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I usually stick with bags in the 15-20 degree range, I’d rather unzip them than be cold all night. I end up taking a bigger pad than needed just for comfort either a sea to summit comfort plus or an exped.

tdot

WKR

That's a pretty sweet little setup. Nice work!

Making my 52 ounce setup seem portly.

GLB

WKR
I was on the south side of the range this past September. I used a 20 degree bag and insulated pad and I got cold on some nights. I used my puffy for extra insulation to help on the colder nights. However these days I sleep cold, comes with age I guess. Type of cold makes a big difference to me, wet verse dry. I’ll take 20 degrees dry vs 35 wet any day.

BRWNBR

WKR
I get in shape. Then I load my pack with stuff I want and stuff I can afford.
I don’t pack stupid stuff. But I have a pillow and food I like to eat. My head
Phones. I used
To try and skimp a pound here or there then realized that was just mental. Now I try to have fun and be comfortable and if I’m having fun, sheep hunting is more enjoyable.
Get the best lightweight gear you can afford then stop over thinking crap like calories.

OP
B
I get in shape. Then I load my pack with stuff I want and stuff I can afford.
I don’t pack stupid stuff. But I have a pillow and food I like to eat. My head
Phones. I used
To try and skimp a pound here or there then realized that was just mental. Now I try to have fun and be comfortable and if I’m having fun, sheep hunting is more enjoyable.
Get the best lightweight gear you can afford then stop over thinking crap like calories.

I know you have a lot of experience and I agree for the most part. I will probably follow that philosophy and bring a 0 degree kuiu bag to be comfortable, but a pound here or there
is not mental. It has a scientifically proven impact on performance. If it was just mental, horse jockeys wouldn't look like Gollum from lord of the rings. It is a trade-off and has a cost, the cost being performance. Most of my food and sleeping gear will be left at base camp, unless base camp moves, so less of an issue than what I will be taking (like rifle,pack,rain gear, insulation) in pursuit of a ram. <--- Im sure you would agree, that weight really matters when you are climbing. Sure you could still climb, but you could climb faster with less weight. Assuming I'm in single digits for BF, all I can trim is the weight of my gear and I want every advantage I can get.

Indyal

Lil-Rokslider
I am interested in this too as I have a hunt in the Brooks Range for mid Aug. My guide recommended 0 or 20 degree bags.
I have a bag rated for that but interested in lighter options.

fatbacks

WKR
Just to put it into perspective, this about sums up my August sheep hunt in 2019 in the Brooks. Used a 25° bag and wore puffy clothes in it when it got cold. Bombproof tent was also a plus.

5e68791f06f489544becf663cd1d626b.jpg