Sleeping Bag for Kodiak Island

Roofer1

Lil-Rokslider
Have been browsing around for a bit now and couldn't find specific info via the search so here goes the first post. Have a mid April trip booked to Kodiak for a bear hunt. Want to start buying some of the things that I don't already have and will need for the trip. Have done some research on the pros/cons of down bags vs synthetic ones but would like any first hand knowledge if anyone has any on the performance of each, specifically on Kodiak. Not sure if it helps but here's some details. Outfitter is providing high quality tents (with a night time heat source). He's recommended a 0 degree bag on his list and next time I talk to him will ask his opinion, but thought it'd be nice to get as much info as possible. Have all kinds of layers to wear in the bag if necessary (merino, synthetic,...). Will be flying in on a float plane so weight is a concern but wouldn't be a determining factor. Haven't really set a budget but don't need to spend big $ to look cool. Am 6'2" and 235 lbs. Have owned some low quality bags in the past so I can't really draw any info from that, but did seem to like the mummy style. Sorry for the long winded post, just hoping to answer q's before they're asked. Thanks.

keller

WKR
I used 0 degree kuiu bag worked fine.i did bring a dry bag to put it in if needed but didn't use it.

OP
R

Roofer1

Lil-Rokslider
I used 0 degree kuiu bag worked fine.i did bring a dry bag to put it in if needed but didn't use it.
Believe the down in those is treated, but did humid air or sweating at night give you any grief? Not trying to sound like a psycho, just know bad sleep can make a hunt miserable.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Depends on if bulk is a concern and if this is a long term investment or other factors. IE you want one of the lightest/smallest bags get a western mountaineering bag (they are primarily bag manufacturer and do it well). But they aren't cheap and depending on your desires the face fabric choices can be light or more robust.

But if not needing a super light small packing bag you don't need 850+ down which is expensive. You can get bags in 650 or less fill and/or decent synthetic bags for alot cheaper. Yeah its double the weight but thats taking a 2-2.5lb bag to 3.5-5lb, IE doesn't affect your flight weight allowance much. If you aren't backpacking that bag then the extra bulk and 2lb doesn't really matter much in my opinion. Considering you can get a bag like this for $100-150 fairly easily on sale I'd save the hundreds of dollars you'd need to spend on a nicer bag and use it elsewhere unless you KNOW you'll be back country backpack hunting while also needing a 0deg bag in the future.

SJ-AK

Lil-Rokslider
For what it's worth, I have always used a Western Mountaineering Ultralight on Kodiak along with a bivy sack if needed. It's worked for me in October, March, and April just fine. I did backpack on all of those hunts so weight was a concern.

OP
R

Roofer1

Lil-Rokslider
For what it's worth, I have always used a Western Mountaineering Ultralight on Kodiak along with a bivy sack if needed. It's worked for me in October, March, and April just fine. I did backpack on all of those hunts so weight was a concern.

Thanks. If I remember correctly the WM is also down? Have been skeptical about down on kodiak but starting to wonder if that's just in my head.

To Pod8's point, hoping the Kodiak hunt is the start of me booking a hunt every couple years.

keller

WKR
the down is treated no issues with condensation and had superdown coats and pants as well that have the same fill.no issues.good luck. their are a lot of good bags out their.i decided to spend a little more because I intend on doing more hunts as well as backpack hunts and cant afford a bunch of bags for every scenario.

*zap*

WKR
Synthetic = pretty much bulletproof.
Down = lighter/less bulk, your outfitter should be able to provide dry sleeping conditions.
Temp ratings = beware of some mnufactures temp ratings, WM has a good record of accuracy in that area.

I've always sworn against even hydrophobic down in the pacific northwest until now, I am experimenting with a hydrophobic down bag this year but don't have enough experience with it yet to give any valid opinion on them...that said I'm testing it on 2-4 day hunts where I can pack out and drive home if I absolutely have to or just keep a synthetic bag back at the vehicle just in case. Definitely wouldn't be rolling the dice and running this experiment on a 7+ day fly in hunt that most likely won't be cheap. 0 degree north face aleutian is heavy and bulky as hell but it will keep you toasty even if you somehow find yourself sleeping outside your tent in the middle of an early spring mountain downpour at 2am...ask me how I know lol. They're also dirt cheap, they have more expensive and lightweight options for synthetic bags but the aleutian bags are so well designed aside from the bulk and weight in my opinion...not sure why they left some of those features out of some of the more spendy bags just to save an oz or two. If you do happen to ask your guide about hydrophobic down I'm curious what he says but if he's an old school Alaskan he'll most likely tell you synthetic is the only way to go up there and share a few horror stories of clients wetting their bags down on day 2 and having to fly back out on day 3.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thanks. If I remember correctly the WM is also down? Have been skeptical about down on kodiak but starting to wonder if that's just in my head.

To Pod8's point, hoping the Kodiak hunt is the start of me booking a hunt every couple years.

Yes western mountaineering are high end down bags with conservative temp ratings. I have a 10F versalite I like alot its 2lb. That said I also have a 34F mountain hardwear lamina I use for summer/fall wear and tear.

To clarify if you're booking fly in hunts or such you don't need the lightest/most compressed bag. A 650down bag or one of the better synthetic bags will serve just fine if not backpacking. Backpacking is where than extra 2-3lb and bulk are a big turn off.

Unless you want to chase the dragon on light gear here is my recommendation at a quick glance assuming you aren't backpacking. Mountain hardwear lamina 0F LONG (its probably more of a 10F comfort bag if I had to guess but a puffy jacket could solve it if needed on a hunt thats really cold). On sale at moosejaw for $172 BUT you get a $30 short term gift card (it expires end of Jan so you have to use it or loose it but order some other gear you need) AND if you use activejunky you can get 10% cash back (if you don't know what activejunky is here is a referral link that both folks get $5 bonus after the new person makes a min purchase, no pressure http://www.activejunky.com/invite/186234) so presuming there is some other $30 gear you'd need that you use the gift card on you're gettin the bag for ~$125. The bag is one of the better synthetics offered, its sounds like its about 4.5lb. Its just bulky at 9.5"x18" stuffed which wouldn't be a concern on fly in hunts if that is your future plans. Its 92" long x 58" hip girt x 62" shoulder girt. https://www.moosejaw.com/product/mountain-hardwear-lamina-0f-18c-sleeping-bag_10412040

Or you'll be looking at $350ish onsale to $600ish normal pricing on an 800+ fill down bag if you want to go that route.

0 degree Kifaru Slick bag would be my choice.

Second on this for me. Ive been wet waaaay to often and can vouch for the slikbags. They are outstanding and have held up for me in a multitude of environments. Great product and cannot go wrong in Kodiak (IMO) with one. People argue that there are lighter alternatives (which I totally get) but the ruggedness and dependability of Kifaru products has me sold. I got in my slikbag (20degree) soaking wet almost every night this past september on my elk hunt in Wy and stayed warm + got dried out by morning.

Personally I just dont trust down in a super wet environment...I dont care how treated it is.

Last edited:
OP
R

Roofer1

Lil-Rokslider
Well... friend of mine can get a pretty good deal on a Nemo Sonic 0 degree. That one wasn't really on my radar but after a little research it seems like good compromise. Once I put it to use I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

I've done a couple of April (plus some late October and November) Kodiak hunts. Bear hunts are usually from a base camp, so no need for high end down or lightweight anything. Really no need to overthink it at all.

I have primarily used a 15F synthetic and did fine. With a good tent and heat source, you can flip a coin and not go wrong. On the last April trip we got weathered in with fog and non-stop rain for a couple days and the 100% humidity made EVERYTHING damp and cold.... at that point 0F would have been nice, but we didn't have heat in the tent either. I still managed with no drama.

Krieg Hetzen

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Nemo Sonic 0 degree bag. Want to know anything before you buy? I used mine for my moose hunt this year, super dry leading into the season (first week of September) and then had showers and overcast most of the hunt. Temperatures were mid 20s at night to mid 50s during the day at 3500ft. I slept in my Nemo Sonic 0 bag on top of a Nemo Insulated Tensor pad in a Nemo Chogori (I get a hell of a discount through Nemo). I didn’t have any issues with warmth or comfort. The bag had enough room that I could roll around and side sleep or flip flop etc. We also had several late nights where we got back to camp around 2am and it was in the mid 20s. Hopping in the bag and getting warm took maybe a minute (I sleep in just my boxers by the way, so it started off cold). I would recommend that insulated pad too, I inflated it on day one and never had to worry about it for the whole 7 days.

Feathered friends is another high manufacturer to consider. They supply mountaineering expeditions all over the world and last I checked are made in Seattle.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk