Sleeping Bag for Larger Person

Hey everyone, I am new to this site so forgive me if this topic has been discussed before. I am a large guy - 6'4", 235 lbs on good day and I am looking for a comfortable sleeping bag for extended pack trips. I want a down, lightwieght bag big enough to fit me comfortably. I like a little space with my sleeping bag as I hate the tight fitting mummy bags. Weight is important, but comfort is more important. Any feedback from some larger folks out there would be appreciated. Thanks

I just ordered one of these. No experience with it but supposed to arrive tomorrow. I have been using an EE quilt rated at 20 degrees. Enjoy the lite weight but miss a bag.

My research on Western Mountaineering website shows this bag rating at 25 degrees. The overstuff should add 5 degrees or so to rating. So say a 20 degree bag not minus 10 degree. Their ratings are supposed to be conservative. For what that worth.

Last edited:
Also the Stone Glacier Chilkoot bags have great reviews for room and warmth. I just wanted a little more room.
I might try their 0 degree bag in the future for when I need a colder rated bag.

Last edited:
The Big Agnes Park series bags are pretty nice for us bigger guys. I used the Summit (15 degree) before transitioning to a quilt.

Welcome. I am 6’3” 250#. My two favorite bags are an EE convert quilt in x wide and x long and a Nemo forte bag. The Nemo is synthetic and reasonable light with lots of room.

I don’t own one but the western mountaineering bags get high marks overall and for roominess for bigger people. Not sure what rating your looking for but a badger is a popular choice.

Kifaru bags are synthetic, heavy-ish but offer plenty of room.

Onstep

FNG
Big Agnes is what I've settled on. Wish there was a custom option in a down bag.

NEhunter

WKR
Depending on the temp rating you want, the western mountaineering terralite is a great roomy bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eamyrick

WKR

I’m 6’3 200 and really like this bag. It has a wide toe box and gills to zip open that make it feel roomy. I got mine for 250 or something on sale.

Quant

FNG
I am 6’ 4” 230 lbs. I have a Western Mountaineering Sequoia. It’s a cross between a mummy and a rectangular bag, so lots of room. I believe it is rated at 5 degrees, and weighs just over 3 lbs. Definitely not a warm weather sleeping bag, if you want something for summer.

Graves14

WKR
The Stone Glacier bags offer excellent warmth to weight and are one of the only bags I didn’t feel claustrophobic in (I Normally use quilts because of this).

I would look at the SG bags

OP
P
Thanks for the great info. I live in Montana so I can stop by the SG shop to check out the bags there. I hope they will let me "try one on" before buying. Any idea if Western Mountaineering or Kifaru would let me return a bag if it doesn't fit?

OP
P
I have not tried the quilts. Maybe that's a good option for me. What is an "EE" quilt? I am not familiar with that company

I have not tried the quilts. Maybe that's a good option for me. What is an "EE" quilt? I am not familiar with that company

Enlightened Equipment. Custom or semi custom quilts and other gear. They had a few complaints About lack of down fill. over the years but recent offerings seem to be fairly good. I like my apex convert (convertible quilt / bag) fairly well.

I'm a fat kid that side sleeps and have had good luck with the BA system bags, specifically the Anvil Horn. The long size has plenty of space but they also make a long/wide in the 15° and that is really big. I like them enough that I pick up a couple other temps in them.

There are other pros/cons to them but the size is a big deal for me.