Sleeping Bag for November Kodiak

I'm heading to Kodiak in early November for a week long trip and am considering picking up a Western Mountaineering Versalite. Should I have any major concerns with moisture and precipitation that I should consider the MF/GWS offerings - or does anyone have any other burning recommendations that may suit me?

Brianb3

WKR
Stone glacier 0*. My only experience was last week when it was 15° out blowing 25 I don’t know what the windchill factor was but I was roasting in my underwear.

Maybe somebody else can second my recommendation but I heard it is a phenomenal bag my only experience would confirm that.

Headed to 10,000 feet next week I’m supposed to be mid teens also will see how round two fares

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22lr

WKR
You will want a zero degree bag, and just plan for rain and wind. I got lucky, 7 day hunt on the Island in Nov, 6 days were sunny and calm, then got a wicked storm on day 7 that kept us till day 9.

If you plan to spike camp every night, I'd be way more concerned about moisture than if you hunted out of a base camp. Out of a base camp with a dry(ish) tent, I wouldn't be super worried. My philosophy is that a base camp you have more time to keep stuff out and air drying, where if your pack is stuffed in the pack all day, its never gonna get a good chance to dry and small amounts of moisture will eventually build up.

Out of curiosity why the Versalite and not the Antelope? Same dimensions but the Antelope is warmer across the board and the Microfiber shell is better at dealing with moisture. It is about 7 ounces heavier though.

I’m heading to Kodiak late next week. I’m bringing my Antelope. The outfitter lives on Kodiak and he only uses a down bag.

Look at a previous post of mine about inadvertently exposing my MegaLite to heavy rain. Did much better than what the Internet would have you believe.

WM Extremelite fabric- 1200 mm (same as Kuiu Mountain Star, Summit Refuge)
WM Microfiber fabric - 2000 mm
WM Gore Windstopper - 12000 mm

If hunting solo and you’re 100% on your own with no chance at help, bring synthetic. But if you’re with someone else your real risks go down. Can always borrow spare clothes, share a bag (quilt style), etc.