Sleeping bag for the Alaska peninsula

Bobcat

Lil-Rokslider
I’m booked for an Alaskan peninsula Bear hunt next spring. Looking for sleeping bag recommendations. I’m currently running a western mountaineering versalite with a
Thurm-a-rest Neo-air x- therm. I’m a bit of a cold sleeper and wondering if I should upgrade to a WM kodiak.

sneaky

"DADDY"
The Kodiak has a roomier cut than the Versalite so it won't be as thermally efficient as the Versalite. It has quite a bit more down, but more space to heat up. The Antelope has the same dimensions as your Versalite but with about 6oz more down. You could always get either of those overstuffed to mitigate down migration and give a couple more degrees of warmth. Or just take your Versalite and wear warm layers to bed. Set aside sleep only layers that will be dry when you get in your bag, not something you hiked around in and got sweaty. FWIW I have a Kodiak.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

skierhs

WKR
If your looking at using a down bag, WM is the brand to go with. I prefer the extra warmth of the antelope compared to the versalite.

Are you dead set on using down though? The peninsula is real wet and I would probably suggest you at least take a look at a synthetic bag as well. They weigh more but if it gets wet you wont loose warmth like a down bag.

OP
Bobcat

Bobcat

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you for the feedback. Skierhs, i’m not completely set on down, but I sure do like climbing into my WM bag at night. do you have suggestions for synthetic bags?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I like my western mountaineering bag too but I’d probably take a kifaru slick bag if I was going down on the peninsula again.

skierhs

WKR
Thank you for the feedback. Skierhs, i’m not completely set on down, but I sure do like climbing into my WM bag at night. do you have suggestions for synthetic bags?
I’d suggest the kifaru slick bag. It’s a well proven bag. Sitka just came out with a synthetic bag which looks promising but would be new gear. Lastly, the marmot trestles elite bag looks promising.

I’m not dialed in on sleeping bag technology but I’ve spent 20 years guiding on the peninsula. Things stay wet, hell I have to scrub the outsides of my waders from time to time because they smell mildewed. I think those fellas who recommended synthetic are on to something.
Good luck on your hunt, who are you hunting with?

OP
Bobcat

Bobcat

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for The feedback. Like everyone I’m Trying to save space and wt, but don’t want to Sacrifice a good nights sleep. I’ll take a look at synthetic bags.

I’m going with Lyle Becker, Alaska Skoomum guides.

SaltyBowman

Lil-Rokslider
I did a spring hunt on the peninsula in 2016 with Tony Dingess. We got in to camp 2 days before the season opened and spent time glassing and scouting. By lunch time on opening day I had passed a couple smaller bears and it started to rain... it rained for 50 hours to the point we bare left the tent for that period. We were in a Hilleberg and stayed dry... I used a 20 degree treated down bag and was comfortable the whole time. We had temps from 30-75 on that hunt so it’s nothing too critical. The air stayed wet enough it was hard to dry clothes out once wet so try to dress such that you don’t sweat a lot. I took a great 9’ boar on the beach about a mile from camp as things cleared up. Good luck and enjoy it.