Sleeping Bag for the Wilderness

What sleeping bag rating would you guys recommend for backpacking into the backcountry? Sept through Oct. (actually the Oct. would just be "car camping" most likely.)
The el cheapo bags i had growing up made me think that the ratings on all bags were off by alot so I got a Big Agnes Elk Park (-20 rating) last year. That was a mistake! It wasn't that bad in the 30* weather because I could just leave it open, but when it got to 15* anything exposed would freeze and everything covered would bathe in sweat.
I'd say I'm a slightly warm sleeper. Maybe.

I use a 30 degree bag for most of my camping. I'm a warm sleepr as well. I'd say a happy medium would be a 20 degree bag. Having a good pad under your bag can also help. I use a 1.5R rated pad under my 30 degree montbell sleeping bag for comfort all through sept.

Beastmode

WKR
What state and what temps? In my experience a sleeping bag will work for me to about 10* lower than the actual rating. I am a very warm sleeper though. I use a 30* bag but I also hunt mainly in northern CA where in august/september temps rarely drop below 30*. For most western states a good 15* bag should be sufficient.

Craig4791

WKR
I use a 25 degree bag all year and into the late season i will start wearing my base layers in the bag. Now that i have a down upper and lower i will incorporate that into my late season bag as well to make up for the temp difference.

OP
CoyotieKiller
State is mainly Montana, but I hope to make it down to CO in the next couple years.
When I've been there before (which hasn't been to often yet) temps were 50 max 14 min, average nighttime temp was in the 20s somewhere.

vcb

WKR
X2 what Aron said. 15-20 as long as its a quality bag. My 30* marmot is lighter but if its gets in the 20's I feel it's a little light for my taste

mtbshark

WKR
So for I have used a few different bags from different manufactures, but hands down so far Marmot get vote for best bag. Also they test their bags to the EN standard which is way more stringent.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I use a Marmot 15* bag and I have slept in temps down to 17* with no problem.
In Sept. I always have to leave it unzipped. I'm getting a lighter bag this year to use for the warmer months.

Whisky

WKR
I've used the BA Mystic 15 in ND both Sept and Oct. It was actually colder in Sept than when I went in Oct. It got down into the mid-upper teens both nights in Sept. I never woke up from the cold, slept straight through. Woke up to an iced up inner tent, and was a tad chilled once I woke up in the AM.