Sleeping Bag Liner Recommendation

Rambo78

FNG
I would like to purchase a sleeping bag liner for a Western Mountaineering, TerraLite sleeping bag. The primary purpose would be to keep the sleeping bag cleaner so I would not have to wash it as often.

Western Mountaineering offers a cotton or silk liner. Does anyone use one of these? The liners they sell look to be smaller the the sleeping bag itself.

Thanks!

I looked at the one that feathered friends offered and then found it online from amazon for half the price. It’s a nice silk one that is rated to add 10 degrees to the bag. I use it with my summer and my winter bags and have been pretty happy.

I was eyeballing a sea to summit coolmax liner thinking it could double as a sheet in hot, hot weather.

ianpadron

WKR
I used to use a Sea to Summit liner in a Mountain Hardware bag and hated it. Ended up so friggin' tangled up every night it wasn't even funny. That said, my fiancee uses one and loves it, so your mileage may vary.

Backyard

WKR
I use the S to S Coolmax or the Reactor depending on temp. I pair my Reactor with a BA 15° bag for real cool temps and sleep fine except the occasional tangle but its worth it to me.

ScottinPA

WKR
Ditto the S2S Reactor. I bought it to add to temp rating and it worked well. For just a liner, I'd go with cheap Amazon one.

LandYacht

WKR
Used to do the sleeping bag liner thing, but gave it up in favor of merino base layers.

Run FL top and bottoms now. A little bit of a weight penalty, but much more added versatility and far warmer than a liner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have an EE Revelation 0° and I use a Sea to Summit Cool Max liner. It's great for warm nights and keeps out the slight drafts that you'll get with a quilt.
The liner smells a little funky but my quilt looks, smells, and performs like new after 3 years.

BCSojourner

Lil-Rokslider
Terra Vista Trails makes an incredible silk liner, very roomy and comfortable and easy to slide in and out of. You can get them with a pillow pocket. Big Agnes also carries a variety of liners, including merino wool. These liners will keep your bag clean and are a lot easier to wash then the bag itself.

Cng

Lil-Rokslider
I was eyeballing a sea to summit coolmax liner thinking it could double as a sheet in hot, hot weather.

I do exactly this. Works nice as a sheet. I end up leaving it at home due to weight often, but when I take it, I like the feeling against my skin better than sleeping bag material. I sleep cold so I usually don’t have the guts to leave my bag, but I’ve ended up kicking off my bag and just using my SS Coolmax liner on many nights.

Eric4

Lil-Rokslider
I've tried the liners, and don't like how tangled up I get inside the bag. For me, I'd rather put the weight into some sleep socks and thermals.

Bluto

WKR
Sorry to resurrect this, but additional question. Anyone found one that ISN'T mummy shaped? Can't sleep in a mummy bag, can't imagine the liner in that shape would be any better?

Looking to beef up the sleep system for this season without starting over.

Cng

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure about the silk ones, but the S2S Coolmax one that I have is mostly rectangular, although a slimmer shape than most rectangular bags. However, it’s a very stretchy tshirt material, so I don’t think it will restrict you in the same way as a mummy bag.

But depending on what you don’t like about a mummy bag, you’ll probably hate a liner. They tend to kind of stick to you and get tangled and wrapped up like a bed sheet.

Bluto

WKR
Yeah, I’m starting to question if it will be usable to me. I can deal with the stretchy material I think, but the shape at the bottom of the mummy bag I can’t handle. I side sleep, so I have a Nemo bag that works great for that. But, it’s a 30 degree rated bag which means what...it’s about a 40-45 degree bag? Not sure that cuts it for spiking out for a night or two in Idaho the first week of November.

Thanks for the info on yours though! At least I know they’re out there if I get a wild hair to try it.

Ive read quite a few reviews on the sea to summit reactor(variations) and the western mountaineering ones. I am looking to gain temperature rating as I have a 15 degree bag and sleep in my heavy weight bottoms, an FL chama, and a stocking cap. I have woken up in the middle of the night, assuming from the cold. What is a legit temp rating and do you find they make a big difference??? Looking to get a kifaru 0 degree or WM bag, but not trying to spend the money this season if I can hold off and survive by carrying the extra 8oz.