Sleeping bag liner

miller1

Lil-Rokslider
Gander Mountain has the sea to summit cotton/silk blend clearanced out for $36, normally $60. Should i hold off for a full silk or get this. I have never used one so im not sure.

Lawnboi

WKR
I have one I never use, i used it a cumple times and thought it was pointless. I have a sea to summit coolmax liner if your interested in one. I'll sell it for much cheaper than 36 if your interested

Slim Jim

WKR
Damn the luck. I paid $54 for mine when I bought it. I like it, I use mine in my mountain hard wear phantom down bag. I'm scared to wash down so using a liner not only bumps up the R rating but also let's me wash the liner and just air out the bag

slim9300

WKR
Damn the luck. I paid $54 for mine when I bought it. I like it, I use mine in my mountain hard wear phantom down bag. I'm scared to wash down so using a liner not only bumps up the R rating but also let's me wash the liner and just air out the bag

Exactly.

bluestone

FNG
hard to beat a set of lightweight set of silk johns and top (turtleneck). just too versatile.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Liners are a waste of money and weight! Wear some quality merino and you will be fine.

Lawnboi

WKR
thats the conclusion that I came too after using a liner for a few nights.... better off carrying an extra set of light baselayers if you really want to keep your bag from getting stinky.

Even with a liner my bag still got stinky.

slim9300

WKR
thats the conclusion that I came too after using a liner for a few nights.... better off carrying an extra set of light baselayers if you really want to keep your bag from getting stinky.

Even with a liner my bag still got stinky.

That's odd. I have used mine at least 40 nights since I bought it and it has no smell at all. The liner on the other hand seems to soak up the stink. I thought about the thin long underwear but I just don't want to chance having to clean my $400 bag. :)

Lawnboi

WKR
I too had a hard time throwing my 400+ dollar bag in the wash, but it just stinks no matter what I wear in it. I only used the coolmax liner as well, which is pretty thin. Maybe its that i breathe in my bag once in a while throughout the night as i roll around. Or maybe its the MH meals

Now i just let my lithium bag stink, and wash it when it really needs a washing and its dwr replenished. This will be my last down bag though, im done with down for a while, though my 0* down bag should be good for a long time yet.

Once you wash a few times it gets alot less scary though :)

If anyone wants a coolmax liner for a good price i still have it sitting in the closet at home!

Lawnboi

WKR
Don't you have a slickbag lawnboi?

Nope, i sleep 3 season in a doobie, and i just got a woobie express for warmer weather along with a bivy.

I still am stuck with the marmot lithium for cold cold weather stuff. My next bag will be a 0* MC slick back. I love the material kifaru uses for thier soft goods!

Jon Boy

WKR
I find the liners useful. During archery season I dont wear a base layer and run a light bag but some of the nights get real cold so the liner is useful in that aspect. Also, it keeps condensation off of me. I always slip my head into the bag during the night and wake up drenched. I dont have a very expensive bag so that may be part of the problem. As far as stink, good luck.