Sleeping bag liner

SDHNTR

WKR
I've got a 15 deg Big Agnes bag that I'd like to get a little more warmth out of. I'd rather not buy a 0 deg bag and think a liner would get me there and at less weight. But I've never used one before. Are they uncomfortable? Seems like they could get all wrinkled/wadded up and be an annoyance. Is this a problem? Any recommendations?

This has been discussed before, I'm going to say within the last month. You can search for the thread, but in general, if I remember correctly, most everyone agreed that instead of a liner, you should just wear your base layer to bed.

JNDEER

WKR
Never tried one. I looked into them and could not justify the price per estimated warmth they offer.

I have the 15 bag from BA. My wife had purchased two small down blankets for the house. I took one with me and used it inside the bag. Did not bunch up and worked for me. I have also slept in my baselayers along with a body heat pad. Sticky on one side and stuck it to my chest. It kept my core very warm.

Yes you are spot on with your idea. I use a 30 degree bag and use a sea to summit reactor plus liner. The sea to summit gives you an extra 20 degrees of temp rating on your bag. Can't remember the exact weight of the reactor plus but I think it's around 8 or 9 ounces. For me that's cheaper than buying another bag. I have used the sea to summit liners for years. I just keep the reactor at the foot of my sleeping bag and most nights I don't even need it, but if I get cold I just slid it right on and man it's instant warmth. Sea to summit makes several different liners I would recommend either the reactor or reactor plus. I actually have both.

Floorguy

WKR
I have an alpine designs liner from sports authority I bought it to keep the inside of my bag clean if for some reason I had to climb in in wet dirty gear. It might add some warmth but its negligible at best.

huntwest

Lil-Rokslider
I feel the liner is more for keeping your bag clean than for warmth. I feel big Agnes bag ratings are off by about 15 degrees. I would look into another bag.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nate, just wear what ever your base layer is into your bag when sleeping. The liner can move around a little and tie you up. A good set of merion wool will serve you much better, have more than one use and weight shouldn't be an issue.

Kay9Cop

FNG
I like carrying gear that has more than one use because it saves weight. One of the things I did this last season was carry a Hill People Gear Serape. I used it as an insulating layer while glassing, an emergency sleeping bag if I got stranded, and as a liner in my Big Agnes 15* bag while camping in temps that got below 0 at night. My wife and I both used them and stayed comfortably warm at night.

ctdad

FNG
I used one last year and thought it helped make my 15 degree bag quite a bit warmer. I'm a cold sleeper (wimp) and I really like having plenty of insulation. It is essentially built like a pillow case and you just climb in it inside the sleeping bag. Lightweight, small and seemed to help IMO. Mine is also a Sea to Summit