Sleeping Bag Liner?

MattEastman

Lil-Rokslider
So my 20 degree sleeping bag is more like a 30 degree bag now. I don't really want to spend the money on a new bag this year so I have been looking at a sleeping bag liner. I've looked at several but just not sure if its worth it, or maybe I should just buy a new bag?

I've been considering the Sea To Summit Thermolite Reactor...........?

Have any of you used a bag liner to add more warmth to your sleep system? Whats your thoughts on bag liners?

slim9300

WKR
They won't add nearly 10 degrees of warmth unless you carry something that weighs more than 12 ounces and that is not worth it IMHO. I use the Sea To Summit Cotton / Silk and it's great for keeping my down bag clean (I never clean it, nor do I want to) and may add a few degrees of warmth. It weighs in at 6 ounces and is square, not mummy. I would suggest just wearing a set of long underwear and your clothes if you really don't want to purchase a new bag this year. That should add 10 degrees pretty easily.

Your problem with being cold may also be related to your pad. Which one are you using?

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree with slim, if you don't want to buy new, layer your clothing to make it work. If using it in 20 degree weather I would presume you are taking a base layer which would be fine to sleep in. If no base layer, I would buy a new bag, as I don't think the liners offer much more than an easy way to clean your bag.

stephen b

WKR
All good suggestions above.

I have used quite a bit a Cocoon silk liner- weighs about 4.5 oz and is simply luxurious to sleep in. Adds about 5-7 deg.

Another thought for increased warmth that you might think about is- a light weight sleeping bag bivy/ cover. The Ti- goat ones weigh only about 7 oz if that and it would both add warmth and would add another dimension for extra bag protection from the elements.

I have used a Black Diamond winter bag cover in really cold weather and in a floorless shelter on snow and it definitely helped ^ the bags temp.