Sleeping bag liners?

So I am looking for a good lightweight 0 degree bag and I can across the idea that a liner can add 15 degrees. Now I am tuning a Kelty cosmic I believe 20. Wondering if they really can add that much warmth and that is a better option than buying 2 bags?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tbone58

Lil-Rokslider
I use a kelty cosmic bag. I have both 0 degree and 20 degree. I put the sea to summit bag liner in it. Thermolite Reactor Extreme Liner. It’s warm and feels warmer then just a bag. Make sure to get a sleeping pad with an R value above 4.8 anything below that you won’t get the true ability of the bag and liner combo. They rate bags based off using a pad with 4.8 valve. The higher the number the warmer it is and the more it weighs. And yes it makes a difference. I found out the hard way and the cold ground sucked the heat out of my bag. I just wore more clothes when I slept.

OP
S
Awesome! Thanks for the info. I just got an insulated thermarest pad and just wasn’t sure about liner or another bag. I won’t use it a lot so I don’t want to spend that much and also I think the 20 degree bag would be enough but depending on weather, it would be nice to have one that goes a bit lower.

Tbone58

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah not a problem. I switched pads and after that never had an issue. I’ve slept with both with liner in 0-30 degrees outside temps and was good. Also slept in the 0 degree with no liner in 10 degree outside temps and was happy with it.

Lawnboi

WKR
Liners are a pain in the ass. On top of that they don’t do anything more than a pair of long johns. I’d get a bag rated for what you need.

JRMiller

WKR
Liners are a pain in the ass. On top of that they don’t do anything more than a pair of long johns. I’d get a bag rated for what you need.
I second that. Your better off putting on another layer
You’ll be fitting the liner all night as you get all caught up in it and twist it.
If you sleep buck naked and never move all night its not bad but i dont know any outdoorsman that do either of those
I’ve tried three different types, least aggravating was the smooth silk like style but that type adds next to no warmth

I haven’t had good luck with liners. I am a bigger guy and probably take up most of the bag without it. I have had some luck with over bags and a quilt on top of a bag To add warmth. Agree that a good pad is necessary to stay warm.

OP
S
I was kind of wondering how comfortable it would be. Not a ton of room anyways and then add another layer that I would imagine shifts around.