Sleeping bag on Kodiak

Youngbuck86

Lil-Rokslider
I visited Kodiak a few years back on a mountain goat hunt. I used the guides synthetic back on his recommendation, and not my WM bag. I'm going back to to tag along on a buddies goat hunt this Fall and wondering what experienced guys on Kodiak use? This year the hunt is a few weeks later in the year (1st week in Oct) and am considering taking my Versalite. The last trip the guide said he would only use synthetic over down. He had us sleep in our clothes in the synthetic bags so they would not be wet when we woke up. I followed his suggestion and it all worked. I don't have much experience in AK. I was a little cold and cramped last go around. If I had confidence my WM would hold up to the wet weather I would prefer to have that for room and warmth. We had great luck with weather last time, but I know I can't plan for that.

I seem to do fine in a 20 degree bag on Kodiak, in October and November, even in the alpine. Wouldn't be caught dead in a down-filled bag in Alaska, though. Synthetic all the way, baby!

Lots of related posts on this subject.

Bring your WM bag:
WM Extremelite fabric- 1200 mm (same as Kuiu Mountain Star, Summit Refuge)
WM Microfiber fabric - 2000 mm
WM Gore Windstopper - 12000 mm