Sleeping bag question ?

kidwalker

FNG
I currently use a Marmot helium bag for most of my septermber hunts, also used it for 14 days in November. I've used this bag for that purpose for the last 4 years.Here is the deal, I seem to sweat in this bag no matter the temp. I was in a 1 man tent @ 10 degres and if I kept the bag ziped up I sweat, if I unzip I freeze. This bag is very compact and light , but I'm looking for options. My old bag was a 20 degree wensel I bought @ SHOPKO , it was heavy and did not pack too small . But was way more comfortable to sleep in. Any ideas for a good Backpack bag that will breath a little ?

dryflyguy

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Montbell spiral ultralight. I've slept comfortably in it from 40 degrees down to 15 below. It is a 20 degree bag. My tent is a kaitum and I usually have a fair amount of ventilation going through the tent. I think that helps.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
depends on the week and season. I use a Western Mountaineering +35 degrees down bag for sheep hunting, a +20 down for caribou/moose early season, and a 0+ degrees synthetic Wiggy's bag for later september hunts.

Larry
http://www.pristineventures.com

The Marmot Helium is a very good bag. You may just need a 20-30* bag if you are a hot sleeper? Multiple seasons means more than one bag unfortunately.

I use to have a similar problem of being too hot. I found the problem was my sweaty feet. My feet sweat so much that my bag would be wet in the morning. I ended up finding a sleeping bag that has two zipper pulls and the zipper goes all the way around the foot box of the bag. I now sleep with the foot box area of the bag open all the time and the rest of the bag zipped up. I find if I am too hot i slide my feet outside the bag to cool my self off. If I get cold, I pull my feet back in the bag. It has made a world of difference for me.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I have the same bag and also sleep really warm. I always wear a long sleeve shirt and leave the bag unzipped. This year I'm trying a 32* quilt instead.

Lawnboi

WKR
Id honestly be a little cool in a bag rather than be sweating. Especially in a down bag, that down holds all your sweat giving you that clammy feeling

I currently use a Marmot helium bag for most of my septermber hunts, also used it for 14 days in November. I've used this bag for that purpose for the last 4 years.Here is the deal, I seem to sweat in this bag no matter the temp. I was in a 1 man tent @ 10 degres and if I kept the bag ziped up I sweat, if I unzip I freeze. This bag is very compact and light , but I'm looking for options. My old bag was a 20 degree wensel I bought @ SHOPKO , it was heavy and did not pack too small . But was way more comfortable to sleep in. Any ideas for a good Backpack bag that will breath a little ?

What are you wearing while in the bag? I've had similar problems with sweating and it really helped when s started wearing my thinnest merino base layer to bed. Before this I would just wear my boxers and the inner material of the bag next to my skin had me sweating like crazy...

Mike

OP
K

kidwalker

FNG
I have slept in this bag with just boxers@ 50 degrees ,bag totally unzipped, used it more as a blanket (still a bit clammy). And I've also used this bag @-10 degrees with all the close I carry , (still a bit clammy). I talked to the guys at Marmot and they said the weave of the material on a down bag has to be especially tight to keep the down in, so it won't breath as well. I'm just looking for options especially in a sythetic bag that packs small.

Last September after 20 plus days elk hunting this bag was a bit damp all the time, since I'd sleep all night and many times pack'r up and carry it stuffed all day.About three days hanging unstuffed ouside on the close line cured that, but I'd like to find a better option for a bivy bag. Thanks for your recommendatons.

This thread has me all freaked out. I have not got a chance to try the bag out yet (helium membrane), but I don't want to sweat. Is there a better choice for a bag? Will mostly be used for Sept/Oct hunts in CO/WY.

Lawnboi

WKR
I have slept in this bag with just boxers@ 50 degrees ,bag totally unzipped, used it more as a blanket (still a bit clammy). And I've also used this bag @-10 degrees with all the close I carry , (still a bit clammy). I talked to the guys at Marmot and they said the weave of the material on a down bag has to be especially tight to keep the down in, so it won't breath as well. I'm just looking for options especially in a sythetic bag that packs small.

Last September after 20 plus days elk hunting this bag was a bit damp all the time, since I'd sleep all night and many times pack'r up and carry it stuffed all day.About three days hanging unstuffed ouside on the close line cured that, but I'd like to find a better option for a bivy bag. Thanks for your recommendatons.

I have the same problems as you, always damp, switched to kifaru for bags. Problem solved. They don't hold moisture and dry very very quickly compared to down. I got rid of my down bags after trying kifaru soft goods.