Sleeping Bag Reapair.

grfox92

WKR
I have an REI Lumen 20 that has served me well. Got it here in the classifieds and have slept down into the single digits with it. Its not the best bag, but its what I have right now and there are many items ahead of a new bag on my list of gear that I would like to upgrade.

I noticed upon inspection the other day that on one side of the bag, the seams running the length of the bag are tearing and separating. It is the whole length of the bag in between the horizontal seems. I could sew it but being that its roughly 5 plus feet of stitching, I dont really see that as a viable option.

I was thinking tenacious tape, or I have heard applying duct tape and then hitting it with a hair dryer can leave a good patch on down jackets and such, but with either option I am concerned about stuffing the bag in a sack and the tape crinkling , causing it to separate from the bag.

What would you guys recommend for patching in this case? The bag is a packable backpacking style sleeping bag with a Synthetic insulation fill.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Take it to a seamstress. Rainy Pass Repair out in Seattle could repair it as well, but you'll have to wait a few weeks to get it back.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

WoodBow

WKR
Yea I would tape it. You can probably even find a fabric faced repair tape. I have used the gorilla brand gear repair tape to repair shelters. You can buy it at Walmart. It has held up for years on a multi feet tear in my tipi. It gets stuff sacked. Only downside I can see is that smooth clear tape might be cool to the touch if it's on the inside of the bag.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

apnea

FNG
Tenacious tape is good stuff, but wouldn’t be my choice if your situation is what I’m picturing. I have had great luck with it fixing 1/2” cuts on down bags, and it adheres well. It sounds to me like it might help to just get it oversewn and reinforce as a long term fix.

Maybe post a picture?

oldillini

Lil-Rokslider
Take it to a seamstress. Rainy Pass Repair out in Seattle could repair it as well, but you'll have to wait a few weeks to get it back.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Rainy Pass is a good option. I had a 4"x6" L-shaped tear in a pair of Kuiu Guide pants. Sent them in and they were repaired and received back at home in 14 days including shipping. I am sure their turnaround times vary, but I was really pleased. Cost me ~$70, but a local seamstress would probably have been $30-$40 and the material needed would not have matched the Kuiu pattern.

Warmsy

WKR
I used tenacious tape on the collar of my REI 30 bag, about 18" tear, and it is a terrible repair job. Doesn't adhere all the great, and is coming up at the edges especially after putting into a stuff sack.

midwestwi

FNG
If you are looking for a cheap fix to get you by a few more years then just use some liquid stitch. I repaired my favorite bag a few years back with this stuff and it has held up 100%.