Sleeping Bag Reco Needed

CiK01

WKR
I am looking to get a 0F bag. I am a side sleeper, toss and turn a little and typically put my arm above my head. I feel like a quilt is my best option, but wondering if anybody has any experience with a bag under the same conditions.

Looking at the UGQ Bandit XL for a quilt, and would consider any Western Mountaineering or equivalent bag if a bag is the best route to go. Thanks for any advice.

Tony

OP
CiK01

CiK01

WKR
Any side sleepers, toss and turners using a 0F sleeping bag they can recommend for someone who might fight (or lack of fighting) with their system?

zloomis

Lil-Rokslider
Nemo sells "spoon shaped" bags specifically for that. I've never run one but they seem to get good reviews. UGQ makes a great quilt. Quilts are nice for tossing and turning because they don't tangle up as much, but in cold (probably under 30 or so) weather you'll loose some heat every time you toss around. Big Agnes could also be nice since the pad is attached you get some of the "tossing and turning" benefits of quilts without loosing the seal.

CCH

WKR
I'm a side sleeper, and try to stick with wider bags that I can roll within -- e.g. WM Badger. Nothing is perfect, but 0 degrees with a quilt seems like a challenge.

OP
CiK01

CiK01

WKR
I used an EE Revelation 20F on my September hunts the last 2 years. It didn't keep me as warm as I wanted it to. Thought maybe going lower in temp rating would help, but it might have been the drafting. Not at all impressed with it. I have seen posts where people feel they got an under-filled product from EE. Not sure if that could be it.

I'll take a look at the Nemo bags. I have been looking at the WM bags a lot. I am 6' 215lbs. I assume the WM bags named after trees (Sequoia) are a better choice because they are cut wider than the ones named after animals (Kodiak). Its a guess for me. I also ran across Montbell I started looking at too.

Loco4dux

WKR
I have the same sleeping habits as you. Got the WM sequoia last year and it was amazing, highly recommend it. I’m much shorter than you and I got a 6’6 and probably could’ve gotten away with a 6 footer. It’s roomy and warm. I tried the other ones but I liked the shoulder space of the seq.

OP
CiK01

CiK01

WKR
How does the Kifaru Slick Bag compare to a Western Mountaineering Sequoia? Near same temperature rating but quite a bit different in price.

EmperorMA

WKR
WM Sequoia, Badger or Kodiak. Cream of the crop.

Mont-Bell Down Hugger would be my next choice. The stretchy construction works. Mont-Bell makes an excellent bag.

I haven’t used them but the “spoon” bags from NEMO get good reviews for precisely what you’re describing.

Last edited:
Nemo spoon bags are legit. Their current offerings with the heat vents are pretty awesome, although my Nemo bag doesn’t have them. I prefer to side sleep and move a little during sleep and the spoon shape works well for me. I find typical mummy bags very restrictive, and rectangular bags too big for warmth.
Anyway, with the heat vents, a Nemo 0 degree could be easily used in many seasons.

Beendare

WKR
Any side sleepers, toss and turners using a 0F sleeping bag they can recommend for someone who might fight (or lack of fighting) with their system?

My take; Part of selecting a good bag is sizing it to your body....I didn't see your body size.

Assuming you are a big guy, most of the mummy bags will be too restricting.

I would look at the diameter specs in the WM bags- they make some that are bigger diameter that give you some room to move. The cheap bags like BA, Kelty, etc will not hit their ratings....stay with top quality insulation; ie- 800 fill vs 650 or lower....or higher rated Syn if you go that route.

I have a couple of those Montbell Stretch bags I like [I'm 6'4", 240-ish] but they are 20 deg rated as I'm a warm sleeper, I dunno if they go down to Zero deg.

A Quilt will give you more room to move but if you are a cold sleeper they can be drafty especially in cold weather. I use my bag as a quilt in warmer weather but I think a quilt might be iffy in very cold weather.

granite7

Lil-Rokslider
I have been looking at the WM bags a lot. I am 6' 215lbs.

I’m almost 6’1” and about the same weight. I hesitate about eh WM because I don’t want the empty space or extra ounces of a WM 6’6” bag. Have you tried the 6’ WM bag to be able to say how the sizing was? I’m curious to hear from you or any others about how close the WM bags are sized.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skierhs

WKR
The WM bag is what I’d suggest for your situation. They have the wider cut and are comfortable at their rates tempatures. WM bags are the gold standard in quality and longevity. You’ll pay for it up front but will take care of you far longer then other bags would.

rfc86

FNG
I used an EE Revelation 20F on my September hunts the last 2 years. It didn't keep me as warm as I wanted it to. Thought maybe going lower in temp rating would help, but it might have been the drafting. Not at all impressed with it. I have seen posts where people feel they got an under-filled product from EE. Not sure if that could be it.

I'll take a look at the Nemo bags. I have been looking at the WM bags a lot. I am 6' 215lbs. I assume the WM bags named after trees (Sequoia) are a better choice because they are cut wider than the ones named after animals (Kodiak). Its a guess for me. I also ran across Montbell I started looking at too.

I had the same EE Revelation 20F on my September hunt in 2017 and had the same issue. I switched to a WM Terralite 25F 6' 6" and it was night and day difference. I used it Sep 2018 in Colorado for elk and then this January in AZ for coues deer. It got down to 25 one night in AZ and I was warm and very comfortable. The terralite is a wide bag. I am 5' 10" and love all the extra space in the bag.

stratofisher

Lil-Rokslider
I had the same EE Revelation 20F on my September hunt in 2017 and had the same issue. I switched to a WM Terralite 25F 6' 6" and it was night and day difference. I used it Sep 2018 in Colorado for elk and then this January in AZ for coues deer. It got down to 25 one night in AZ and I was warm and very comfortable. The terralite is a wide bag. I am 5' 10" and love all the extra space in the bag.

Glad to hear it is working for you. Just bought a Terralight to replace my 20 deg EE Revelation. Did you use a liner, or straight bag?

Jalliston

Lil-Rokslider
Trying to decide between the Terralite and the Sequoia myself. In for the comments.

I am in the same boat. I ordered a Sequoia and it comes tomorrow. I am hoping its big enough. I will post my thoughts once it arrives.

Jalliston

Lil-Rokslider
Nice! Let us know how it is.

And yeah, I'll eventually end up with both.

Well my Sequoia bag came today. One word... amazing! This thing is super high quality. I now know why everyone raves about these bags. I bought the 6 foot 6 inch bag and it fits me well. I am 6 foot 1 inch with a 55 inch chest and I have tons of room. Enough to side sleep and still kick my leg to the side for comfort. If anyone is one the fence of buying a WM bag, run don’t walk to the nearest place that sells them. It blows my Browning McKinley bag away and I am positive it will be way warmer despite Browning saying mine is good to -30 degrees. The inside material is really nice too and makes moving around to shift from your back to side sleeping easy. Highly recommend. Now I just need to find out a way to afford a Terralite. Lol.