Sleeping bag recomendations

I was informed by my hunting partner that I need a sleeping bag to carry with me on our 2nd season rifle elk hunt in Colorado. He explained that if we find elk back in too far for walking in and out, we may spend the night in a small 3 man tent with sleeping bags. Knowing nothing about the weather conditions, aside from it could be 0 or 70 degrees, I'm a bit confused. I know very little about sleeping bags other than what they rate them for in terms of warmth. I don't want to spend huge sums of money on a bag, but I also don't want to freeze to death if its really cold.

Should I consider a -30 type of bag, or would a zero degree bag be just as fine for that time of year? I'm already planning on investing in a decent sleep pad as well.

Suggestions are much appreciated.

mlgc20

WKR
IMO, you don't need a 0 degree bag, much less a -30 degree bag. You should be fine with a 15-20 degree bag (assuming a high quality sleeping pad). I will be taking a 30 degree quilt for CO first rifle. And, I would use the same quilt for 2nd-3rd rifle. Just with a high R-valued pad. I can always sleep in my puffy if it gets really cold.

For a "budget" sleeping bag, take a look at the North Face Cat's Meow 20. They can be found for around $150. It's a synthetic bag and a bit bulky. But, very solid for the price. Also, the Marmot Trestles 15 is a great bag in the $125ish range. I don't think I would go any cheaper than that.

If you really want a 0 degree budget-friendly bag, take a look at the Marmot Never Summer. Now you're in the $300 range. But, you are into down instead of synthetic.

Also, check the classifieds here on Rokslide. I've picked up some amazing deals on sleeping bags here. Best of luck in your search.

Deerhunter6250

Lil-Rokslider
I used a 40 below bag last year during second rifle and was glad to have it with a great pad, Temps got down to 17 below one night. I get cold easy so it depends on how you are personally and the weather you have. In Colorado it can be nice one minute and a blizzard the next. Feathered friends are high quality bags and there is a used zero bag on ebay for sale now. Big agnes also has some nice cold weather lighter bags. The higher the down quality the lighter the bag is. Good luck and have fun.

Western Mountaineering has been my go to bag for some time now. They can be a bit pricey, but have always kept me toasty warm and performed extremely well in colder conditions. The Temp ratings on the bags are some of the more accurate ones in the industry. As you already stated investing in a good sleeping pad can make all the difference in keeping the ground from stealing some of your body heat.

Camofire had the never summer for $180. Make sure to have a good pad. Outdoor Vitals and Hyke and Byke may have something. Or look into gear rental.

HuntnPack

WKR
My Current Sleep system:
NEMO Men's Riff 15 Degree Sleeping Bag
Exped SynMat UL Winter LW Sleeping Pad
Therm-A-Rest Air Head Down Pillow
Seek Outside:
Fearlessly Floorless Ground Sheet
Matty McMat Face - Ground Pad

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was informed by my hunting partner that I need a sleeping bag to carry with me on our 2nd season rifle elk hunt in Colorado. He explained that if we find elk back in too far for walking in and out, we may spend the night in a small 3 man tent with sleeping bags. Knowing nothing about the weather conditions, aside from it could be 0 or 70 degrees, I'm a bit confused. I know very little about sleeping bags other than what they rate them for in terms of warmth. I don't want to spend huge sums of money on a bag, but I also don't want to freeze to death if its really cold.

Should I consider a -30 type of bag, or would a zero degree bag be just as fine for that time of year? I'm already planning on investing in a decent sleep pad as well.

Suggestions are much appreciated.
Certain sleeping bags will work better for different people. A few questions for you, then I can dive in and really help...

1) Do you sleep hot?
2) Will you have other puffy clothing ie. Coat and pants with you?
3) How tall are you?
4) Do you have a preference between down and synthetic?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

I went to klymit in utah, they have a 0 degree bag that is half synthetic and half down, best of both worlds. Paid 239, breathes well, is super comfortable.

Jbxl20

WKR
I’m using a marmot phase20 bag and a Big Agnes q core slx pad. Warmth wise this setup is great but I wish I would have bought the wide version. 25” vs 20”. I’m also interested in the sea to summit ether light extreme. Twice the R value and a little wider but heavier.

Rokwiia

WKR
A good sleeping bag will last many years and is an investment as far as I am concerned. Same with a pad. Buying a 0F bag but getting only a 32F pad will cause you to lose heat by conduction.

There are two things I won't compromise on -- staying warm and dry. If you want to be certain the sleeping bag has been tested and will perform to the temperature specs advertised, buy Western Mountaineering.

jpalmer83

FNG
Take a look at some REI bags. I think they are a great value and as good as some name brands at a lower price.

A good sleeping bag will last many years and is an investment as far as I am concerned. Same with a pad. Buying a 0F bag but getting only a 32F pad will cause you to lose heat by conduction.

There are two things I won't compromise on -- staying warm and dry. If you want to be certain the sleeping bag has been tested and will perform to the temperature specs advertised, buy Western Mountaineering.
Great advise. Buy once cry once. It took me a while to buy my Western Mountaineering bag. I love it.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Always buy more bag than you think you may need especially for hunts later in the year, it will save you cash and get you sleep🤙 I’m running a zero degree Montbell bag at 3 pds come October and been glad I have it on many nights while buddies were not too comfy….lots of good options decide on your price pt and weight you want to pack

magtech

Lil-Rokslider
Got a BA starfire 0 this last winter and it kept me warm on a cot (sleeping outside)on a 5 degree night... had to test it out. Just had my base layer on.

JJJ

Lil-Rokslider
The cost up front for a nice down bag pays for itself the first cold night in the backcountry.

after I cheaped out and didn’t sleep 12,000’ up a mountain a few years back, I went and got a thermarest neoair xtherm and a valandre Bloody Mary. I really like the Bloody Mary because the good comes off, has a long zip too, so I can use in warmer temps, but it’s comfy down to mid teens with out extra clothing.

some of my friends have been running a mountain hardware flame? Or hyper lamina? Something like that. It’s down, not too pricey, and they’ve been pretty happy with them.