Sleeping bag recommendations

bry.rn

FNG
Looking for a quality sleeping bag for cold weather. I camped last month and it got down to 27 degrees, I froze. What’s the top 3 sleeping bags?

also, I need a quality two person tent.

Thanks

hikenhunt

WKR
Western Mountaineering bags are spendy, but are top notch quality, true to their temp rating and will last you a long time.

Might need more details about intended use and where you planning on using the tent. Preference for single or double wall? Floorless? etc.

sneaky

"DADDY"
What pad were you using last month? The best bag in the world isn't going to save you from a crappy sleeping pad. For cold weather pick a pad with an R Value of 5 or higher. Sleeping bag ratings are based on a 4.9 R value pad. If you use a pad less than that you are handicapping your bag's ability to insulate you.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

AggKat

FNG
I am going through same process right now. I have been looking at bags and quilts. I just got off phone with Tristan with VIAM outdoors. He gave me ton of information about the subject. Stayed on phone for 45 minutes! Never pushed me to buy, but helped me make up my mind to go with quilt instead of bag. Might be an option for you also.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Wassid82

WKR
There are many quality bags on the market. It depends on how you plan on using them. I have had Big Agnes, Northface, Marmot, and kifaru. I have used them with different pads and sometimes cots. Years back I got into hammock backpacking. If I were backpacking a ways I would use real down....it is warm and compresses nicely while saving weight. If I wasn't going to far that would open up tons of options. A bag I want to try is the kuiu bags. My frustration when trying to determine which bag was best has always been different rating styles......As stated Western Mountaineering has some really good stuff as well but they are pricey for sure.

zacattack

WKR
Looking for a quality sleeping bag for cold weather. I camped last month and it got down to 27 degrees, I froze. What’s the top 3 sleeping bags?

Thanks
Western mountaineering gets a lot of love and rightfully so, but I do like my feathered friends. I say those to makers are going to be hard to beat.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Western Mountaineering and Feathered Friends only look expensive until you start looking at PHD Designs. Now those are serious bags, 1000fp down in a lot of them.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Welcome.

Is that fairly typical of your use? 27* is cold but do you go colder? How tall are you and what do you weigh?

If that is the bottom of your range, a good 20* synthetic bag is fine. North face Cats meow, Nemo forte are my top choices. I favor the forte for extra room. If you are on the husky side look for big agness. All can be had for under $200. Those western mountaineering bags are awesome but the are $$$. With care, one will last you decades. Cheaper options like wiggys and snugpak work well, are cheap and are super durable but weigh more than the other options.

As someone mentioned, get a good pad. An inflatable one from Klymit or thermarest are good and good value. I use a sea to summit that is pricey but worth it to me for good sleep.

Tents are a whole new world. For two people I prefer a 3 person tent. For the occasional backpacker REi brand is good value. Nemo and big Agnes are good too but a little more pricey. I have a dyneema tent that is quite light but was stupid expensive. Lots of folks here favor various floorless shelters, which I also like when bugs aren’t going to be a problem. The top brands like kifaru and seek outside and others favored here are $$$$ but for hard use in harsh conditions they are well worth it.

Hope that helps. If it doesn’t, add a little more detail about your usage and someone can offer thoughts that will. Lots of knowledge here and people are happy to share, especially when it comes to spending other people’s money on gear.

Thanks

What is your budget?
Expected temperatures?
Backpacking or car camping, (I. E. What are the conditions of your camping trips)?
What seasons are you camping? Expected snow and heavy winds? Rain?

OP
B

bry.rn

FNG
What is your budget?
Expected temperatures?
Backpacking or car camping, (I. E. What are the conditions of your camping trips)?
What seasons are you camping? Expected snow and heavy winds? Rain?
Budget: $800
Temp: Late fall, but I would like something that can hold up in snow conditions.
Backpack camping

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
WM bags have a reputation as the best. Rab makes good down products and bags.

Make sure byou have a good sleeping pad. Consider going to bed with long johns and/or your puffy jacket on.

Keep in mind you may need a bag that is rated for colder than you plan to be in. My wife likes to use a -5 degree Rab bag when it is 40 degrees at night. It is overkill, but she no longer complains of being cold at night.

Budget: $800
Temp: Late fall, but I would like something that can hold up in snow conditions.
Backpack camping
If that is your total budget, buy a used bag and tent.

Bags:
Western Mountaineering
Feathered Friends
Get shape and length you Ike and 20 degrees or so lower than expected temps. 15 three season, 0 four season is common

Pad:
Exped is most comfortable of those I have owned

Tent:
You'll need to decide if you want a stove jack and floor/no floor.
- Copper Spur
- Durston X-Mid 2P
Both can be set up floorless or with the inner. Durston is polyester, which is hydrophobic, so it won't hold water

Last edited:

HuntnPack

WKR
Shelter:

Seek Outside Cimmaron
Stove Jack
Line Lock Extension Kit
Carbon pole.
(Add 1/2, or Full Nest, or stove if needed)

Sleep system:

(Borah Bivy if needed)

NEMO Men's Riff 15 Degree Sleeping Bag

Exped SynMat UL Winter LW Sleeping Pad

Therm-A-Rest Air Head Down Pillow

Seek Outside
Fearlessly Floorless Ground Sheet
Matty McMat Face - Ground Pad

Last edited:
OP
B

bry.rn

FNG
If that is your total budget, buy a used bag and tent.

Bags:
Western Mountaineering
Feathered Friends
Get shape and length you Ike and 20 degrees or so lower than expected temps. 15 three season, 0 four season is common

Pad:
Exped is most comfortable of those I have owned

Tent:
You'll need to decide if you want a stove jack and floor/no floor.
- Copper Spur
- Durston X-Mid 2P
Both can be set up floorless or with the inner. Durston is polyester, which is hydrophobic, so it won't hold water
Thank you for the info

OP
B

bry.rn

FNG
WM bags have a reputation as the best. Rab makes good down products and bags.

Make sure byou have a good sleeping pad. Consider going to bed with long johns and/or your puffy jacket on.

Keep in mind you may need a bag that is rated for colder than you plan to be in. My wife likes to use a -5 degree Rab bag when it is 40 degrees at night. It is overkill, but she no longer complains of being cold at night.

thanks
Western mountaineering badger is easily the best bag I have ever used.

That seems to be the popular vote, thanks

I highly recommend you look at Outdoor Vitals for your bag. They are made with the same materials as the $$$ brands but at a lower price. For $350 you can get a -15 degree bag. I have this bag and have it paired with Thremarest NeoAir XTherm this combination new will set you back $600. Finding a good two person ten for $200 will be a challenge. Don’t get me wrong WM and FF make great bags but I can not justify the cost when Outdoor Vitals makes a bag just as good for less.

OP
B

bry.rn

FNG
I highly recommend you look at Outdoor Vitals for your bag. They are made with the same materials as the $$$ brands but at a lower price. For $350 you can get a -15 degree bag. I have this bag and have it paired with Thremarest NeoAir XTherm this combination new will set you back $600. Finding a good two person ten for $200 will be a challenge. Don’t get me wrong WM and FF make great bags but I can not justify the cost when Outdoor Vitals makes a bag just as good for less.

thanks for the info