Sleeping Bag Temp for CO - 0 or 15?

Just got back from CO two weeks ago. Used a 30 degree bag and would rather have had a 15 degree bag. Would definitely opt for a 0 degree bag for later seasons.

I would go 0*. Those ratings aren't based on comfort, they are based on keeping you alive at that temp. As everyone else has noted, you can always unzip and get colder, it's a lot harder to get warmer.

Colorado can be unpredictable at high altitude and can easily drop below 15* even during August. I have both a 15* and -20*. I started with the 15* and only kept that one season while freezing every night. The -20* was perfect during mid-October last year when temps got below 0* in N. Colorado with wind chills below -30*. I would only bring the 15* for anything over the summer or early Archery.

The other question anyone should ask themselves, is what is their shelter? If you are sleeping in a wall tent with a stove going all night, you could swing a 15* easier than if you were backpacking in with a 3 season tent, go for the 0*.

rideold

WKR
I kind of always re-calculate the bag temperature and add 10 degrees. Meaning that a 15 degree bag is going to be plenty comfortable to 25 degrees and I'll survive but maybe not be completely comfortable from 25 to 15 degrees. If I'm in a base camp I just bring both my 15 and 0 degree bags since I have the room. If I can only have one bag and I'm on the fence about weather I'll go for the warmer bag. That said I use my 15 degree bag the most.

Vandy321

WKR
I would go 0*. Those ratings aren't based on comfort, they are based on keeping you alive at that temp. As everyone else has noted, you can always unzip and get colder, it's a lot harder to get warmer.

Colorado can be unpredictable at high altitude and can easily drop below 15* even during August. I have both a 15* and -20*. I started with the 15* and only kept that one season while freezing every night. The -20* was perfect during mid-October last year when temps got below 0* in N. Colorado with wind chills below -30*. I would only bring the 15* for anything over the summer or early Archery.

The other question anyone should ask themselves, is what is their shelter? If you are sleeping in a wall tent with a stove going all night, you could swing a 15* easier than if you were backpacking in with a 3 season tent, go for the 0*.
WMs ratings are a comfort rating...

Lando

WKR
If you have a warm pad, you can always unzip a zero degree bag in warmer temps and use it like a quilt.

tdhanses

WKR
I went with a Stone Glacier 0* bag, was perfect last year for 3rd season rifle and for Sep archery this year where it was probably the warmest ive experienced the last 10 years it worked fine, just unzip and hang a leg out.

I use a 30° quilt and layer as needed, I have used this system for the past couple of years, August to December, Alaska and Colorado.

Vandy321

WKR
I use a 30° quilt and layer as needed, I have used this system for the past couple of years, August to December, Alaska and Colorado.
You're a better man than I.

I can't stay warm in layers...its body heat directly to bag or I get cold...maybe a very light merino is all.

Pikespeak

Lil-Rokslider
10 degree (quilt for me) with an overbag of 38 degree Apex quilt. Moves your condensation point out of your down and into the Apex and gives you two more versatile bags than a super heavy, super low temp rated bag.
Can you explain the condensation point?

Can you explain the condensation point?
So the sleeping bag itself is warm next to your skin and cool at the shell. The dew point is lower than your skin temperature so moisture (body, wet clothes, breathing) ends up condensing on your bag’s shell and wetting your insulation.

The idea is that the second layer will move the spot where it gets cool outside of the first down layer and into the second synthetic layer, which can handle that moisture better.

Bonfire06

FNG
Make sure your pad is warm as some have mentioned and then make sure you are comparing apples to apples. Check if you are looking at ISO/EN ratings or not with the bags you are comparing. Also, everyone is different in how they regulate temperature. If you are a hot sleeper, you may be comfortable in a climate that is 10-15° colder than someone who is a cold sleeper in the same bag. I am a hot sleeper so tend to be comfortable in a bag closer to its T-limit than higher Comfort rating. Hanging a leg out isn’t always a great option if you are sweating inside of the bag and outside the bag is too cold to put a foot out, however you would likely rather play it in the safe side and be too warm versus too cold. I would go with the 0° unless owning two different bags are an option for you.

For a dedicated fall bag in the Rockies I'd go with zero degrees. I do not have a dedicated fall bag, so I make my +15 bag work as late into the year as I can and have a winter bag (-15) in case it's looking extra cold in the forecast.

arock

Lil-Rokslider
High R-Value pad is going to be a bigger factor IMO. You can have the warmest bag in the world but if the ground is leeching out heat you're going to have a bad time.