Sleeping Bag Temp for CO - 0 or 15?

TygerJ

FNG
Evaluating sleeping bags and am stuck on what temp rating to choose; 0 vs. 15.

Will be used primarily in CO, for hunts ranging for archery through rifle. Ideally would be a single bag solution.

Is the 15 capable itself, or even when used with maybe a puffy or fleece when sleeping if needed? Or is 15 too moderate as weather dips in the rifle seasons - thus necessitating the 0 bag? Concern with just defaulting to the 0 is that it’s both heavier and more expensive - also don’t want to be buying something with features well beyond need if practical.

Considering Kuiu, SG, and WM bags.

WRM

WKR
10 degree (quilt for me) with an overbag of 38 degree Apex quilt. Moves your condensation point out of your down and into the Apex and gives you two more versatile bags than a super heavy, super low temp rated bag.

I actually asked a similar question to the guys at Stone Glacier with their 2 bag options. With their insight I went with the 0. I live in Colorado but will be doing a November elk hunt in Wyoming.

I don't think one bag covers you very well from September through November.

I would sweat my ass off in either a 15 or a 0 in September and most of October, barring those few extraordinarily cold nights. I think you need at least two. Something in the 20-30 range when appropriate and something for the 0+- range.

Will be used primarily in CO, for hunts ranging for archery through rifle. Ideally would be a single bag solution.

Is the 15 capable itself, or even when used with maybe a puffy or fleece when sleeping if needed? Or is 15 too moderate as weather dips in the rifle seasons - thus necessitating the 0 bag? Concern with just defaulting to the 0 is that it’s both heavier and more expensive - also don’t want to be buying something with features well beyond need if practical.

I’m in California and have had nights where my 0 degree was just enough! My experience is that they never really hold up to what they claim and it’s better to go warmer.

bluumoon

WKR
I learned the hard way, my zero degree bag did not cut it into the teens 2nd rifle last year. Figured out Big Agnes 0 degree rating is closer to survival than comfort. That was with an insulated inflatable pad (4.7) and a foam pad underneath.

For the rifle tags are you backpacking in?

CO archery to rifle weather is too variable to answer. If you're packing in above 11k in 3rd season a 0 deg bag and high R value pad will be absolutely be necessary. Lower elevation and earlier seasons a 15 deg will be overkill. I use an old synthetic cats meow 20 degree bag for most of September and a WM Badger 15 degree for the rest of season ( its loftier/warmer than kelty and northface 0 degree bags ive owned so degree ratings are not consistent.) That WM badger bag is plenty for 1st through 4th rifle unless temps get too far past subzero in which case Ill have a stove and extra down layers to help anyway. Backpacking in high, late season a 0 degree or high end 15 deg down bag can be clutch. Another option is to get a 15 and a woobie and bring both when the forecast calls for 0.

Vandy321

WKR
A quality 15 deg bag and a high r-value pad will work fine, even in Nov.

I did have to add a foam pad under my air pad for this nov. But that's because my inflatable pad had a slow leak and I'd wake up touching ground slightly.

I have WM badger because it's light enough to justify having one bag to do it all with, but warm enough for late rifle in CO.

I have a silk liner I bring in Nov and a wobble is on-call if needed as well.

Folks talk alot of temps, but rarely mention the tent...a double wall tent will keep it significantly warmer inside than the zero degree temp your thermometer shows outside.

Last edited:

rclouse79

WKR
I have a 0, 20, and 32 degree bag. The amount of regret I have felt from having to unzip a bag that was too warm for the conditions is very small. The amount of regret I have felt from shivering all night in a bag that was not warm enough is very large. In my opinion it is better to err on the side of the warmer bag.