Sleeping Bag Temperature Rating

jarrettd

FNG
Ill be going on a 5-day backpacking hunt this September in Colorado. My normal summertime sleeping bag is a Marmot 55 deg Voyager. Temps where I'm going will be in the 30's overnight. Will i be ok if i sleep in my puffy jacket, or do you recommend i upgrade to a better bag. My current bag weighs 2lbs which is nice, What sleeping bags do y'all use out there in the mountains?

bozeman

WKR
I sleep 'cold' even when using a puffy & beanie. I wouldn't chance it, but that is me. You get stuck up at 9,500 ft and it drops below 20° with wind, it ain't no joke. I learned my lesson.

I sleep cold and I've gotten chilly in a 20 degree comfort rating bag. Yes, you need to upgrade. For September I like the Enlightened Equipment Revelation 20 deg quilt. It's like ~21 ounces.

mlgc20

WKR
I'm a big believer in using your extra clothes to extend the comfort rating of your bag. And I sleep warm. I have had my 30 degree quilt down in the teens without a problem. But having said that, you need to upgrade. Frankly, the Voyager is pretty heavy for what it is. You can get a 20 degree quilt or 30 degree bag that weighs less than that. Of course, that costs some money. But nothing crazy.

Poser

WKR
55 degree bag won’t cut it in the CO high country. A 30 degree bag with a good pad will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RadDad

Lil-Rokslider
Like others have said, time for an upgrade. Last thing you want is to be freezing while trying to sleep after a day of climbing up and down a mountain. REI is having a sale in their outlet right now. Some pretty decent bags for sale if you look around.

CObywayofUSAF

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely upgrade, I run a 20 degree and have even thought about going to a zero just because it does get pretty low even in Sept when I'm up high. I upgraded pads this year so I'm hoping it will do the job but I definitely got cold last year even in clothes.

Not worth the risk. Upgrade the bag. Assuming you're using a weather app to predict temperature ranges. Those temps typically are from lower lying city/populated locations and can predict a 5–10-degree warmer temp than what you will see up in elevation/out of town in the woods.

Upgraded bag, maybe pad as well. Take the puffys just in case. Colorado weather is NOT predictable. Plan for the worse.

Grab a new bag and pad.

Pad: get one with a high(er) R rating as this will help keep you warm.
Bag: get a comfort rated bag for 20* (EN rating - don't rely solely upon what a vendor claims)

For your current bag, it's comfort rating is 55* so you will likely be be cold in the 30s even with additional clothes on.
  • EN rated as comfortable for men at a lower limit of approximately 55°F

Poser

WKR
I have been looking at their website. Is there a particular model that you recommend for under $200

Under $200:

Big Agnes Torchlight 20
MH Shasta 15
Marmot trestles 15
Nemo Forte 20

Note these are all synthetic.

RadDad

Lil-Rokslider
Under $200:

Big Agnes Torchlight 20
MH Shasta 15
Marmot trestles 15
Nemo Forte 20

Note these are all synthetic.

All great options. You get an additional 20% off this weekend if you use code LABOR22.

Edit: Pretty good deal on this bag. There are better options but not at this price point. Comes in around $110.00 with the 20% discount.

Last edited:

Mark.c

FNG
A 55 deg bag would be a rough night in 30 deg cold temps. Layer with a puffy hooded jacket and pants. Also bring a good insulated ground mat and a sleeping bag liner.

sneaky

"DADDY"
For under $200 you can get a Hyke&Byke 15 degree down bag around the same weight as your 55 degree bag