Sleeping bag vs quilt

I currently have three sleeping bags. A wiggys (I never use) a zero degree bag (never use) and then a Kelty light weight 20 degree bag that I use with a goretex bivy (milsurp) and poncho liner (woobie). It does get below freezing in September, which is when our caribou/moose season is.
I have used just the poncho liner and goretex bivy and prefer that style over sleeping bags.
What are advantages of the quilt over a bag? I’m also looking at water resistant down as an option. I do get cold with the 20 degree bag when temps plummet, but I don’t want to burn up either. I use an inflatable boat to access my hunting area and establish a base camp on a fairly large lake/river system.
Any advise? Or experience?
I have capabilities of hearing my floor less tipi and my 8 man tent, though I’ve yet to hear either one.

tdhanses

WKR
To me the only advantages are you can drop some weight and freedom to kick a leg out if warm and easier to roll around. I use a quilt during archery when temps may get down to around 30*. I use a 0* quilt as it’s easy to vent and not get too cold.

Onice it gets into the teens or lower consistently I’d use a bag as a quilt will not keep out all drafts.

i have a 0* EE down quilt, a kifaru woobie and doobie and just picked up a 0* stone glacier bag for late season hunts and winter camping. Quilts are great when it’s cooler out but I just don’t trust that it’ll work for winter activities and don’t want to freeze my butt off. Also I don’t want to be packing multiple items to make something work. Everything I have has a place depending on the time of the year.

ljalberta

WKR
I agree with tdhanses.

I love quilts for the comfort factor, in that I'm a sprawler/side sleeper. Mummy bags are signficantly less comfortable to me. I have had a couple EE quilts, including one (10*F, but more accurately a 30*F bag) that is still my go-to for almost all my trips from April-September. I'll supplement extra warmth with a woobie or down blanket if the temperatures are plunging below freezing on a regular basis. That being said, I'll likely be picking up a new Mummy bag for the later seasons as it really does help lock in that heat, where as a quilt if you roll around at night can let in some nice chilly drafts. If you are getting a quilt, I would recommend going nice and wide to help alleviate that issue. A big positive side to quilts is they're extremely easy to vent. I can't think of any time I've been too hot and unable to dump that heat comfortably.

I guess I'm the odd man out. When it's warm, I open my mummy bag and use it like a quilt. I cant stand it. I cannot stand drafts. My -5 degree bag (WM Kodiak )is not heavy or light @3.5 lbs for what class it is in. Everyone sleeps their way.
Heck, even at home, I wrap myself up in my blanket (quilt like right ? )

The best part of gear, is buying, trying and maybe crying, but if so, buying again ……… Win Win Win

OP
Y
I guess I'm the odd man out. When it's warm, I open my mummy bag and use it like a quilt. I cant stand it. I cannot stand drafts. My -5 degree bag (WM Kodiak )is not heavy or light @3.5 lbs for what class it is in. Everyone sleeps their way.
Heck, even at home, I wrap myself up in my blanket (quilt like right ? )

The best part of gear, is buying, trying and maybe crying, but if so, buying again ……… Win Win Win
One income. So I’m not in that buying. And buying. And buying crowd. Lol

mlgc20

WKR
I switched to a quilt a few years ago and wish I had done it sooner. As an active sleeper, the quilt is infinitely more comfortable. As mentioned above, make sure you get one that is wide enough. I have never had an issue with drafts. But, I am always in a tent. If I was sleeping in the open, I might consider a mummy bag. Otherwise, I don't even think about leaving my quilt system behind.