Sleeping bag weight

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
What do you think is the average weight for a 3 season bag for backpacking? Let's say a 20-30 degree bag. To me it seems like right around 2.5 to 3 lbs. I'm trying to get into a new bag this year.

Cabman

Lil-Rokslider
My Golite 20 degree bag weighs 2lbs 4 oz. and from the bags I looked at, this one was about average, maybe a little lighter.

shaun

WKR
Ya that's about right. If you are going to be looking at new bags check out the slick bag from kifaru I bought one from Aron this year because it was even lighter than my down bag

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know I am liking my Montbell U.L.SUPER SPIRAL DOWN HUGGER #0 at [Weight] 2 lbs. 15 oz. on those cold nights:) I think your right on with the 2.5 to 3 lbs range....

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah 2.5-3 pounds.

Some of the really high end stuff is around 2 pounds.

Looking forward to trying the Kelty Ignite bag this spring: 16 EN, 2 3/4 pounds, and $199.

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I will check those out for sure. Thank you for the quick responses. Keep the recommendations coming if you can please!

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I would look at WM and Kifaru slick bags. If your looking in the 30 range there are some sub 2 pounders.

Ozz08

WKR
I would look at WM and Kifaru slick bags. If your looking in the 30 range there are some sub 2 pounders.

Yep Ryan is right. I have a 30 degree synthetic bag that I paid 65-70 bucks for that weighs less than 2 pounds. The brand and name escapes me at the moment though.

Yeti

FNG
I have the Montbell U.L Super Spiral Down Hugger long #1 15 degree bag. I just weighed it came in at 2lb 5oz.

stephen b

WKR
you can find some 30/32 deg bags to be sub 1.5 lbs.

This one is true to its weight as mine comes in at 23 oz.

http://marmot.com/products/plasma_30

And this one is 19 oz on my scale:

http://www.westernmountaineering.co...ping bags&cat=ExtremeLite Series&ContentId=69

(** My WM Summerlite plus a silk liner and a TG Raven bivy all stuffed into the WM XS sack weighs 31.5 oz. That is light! )

And both for me are quite true to their temp ratings. ( I can go down to 25 or a little less and be comfortable with a silk liner)

The Plasma is a bit more roomy. The WM SL is a bit on the narrow side. It works fine for me- but I am a side sleeper and that works a bit better. Can also open it up a bit and use it a bit like a quilt and also works quite well.

HvyBeams

Lil-Rokslider
I received the Western Mountaineering 35 Degree Highlite, long, for Christmas. It weighs 17 oz. I bought a Sea to Summit Compression Sack which weighs 4.5 oz. So, 21.5 oz total. I haven't tried it out yet, but I have yet to hear anything negative about WM.

Floorguy

WKR
If I get the money I am planning on getting a zpacks 20 degree bag that weighs in at 17.1oz my current bag is @3lbs

a3dhunter

WKR
I have the Montbell U.L Super Spiral Down Hugger long #1 15 degree bag. I just weighed it came in at 2lb 5oz.

The Montbell U.L. SS DH long 30 degree bag is 1 lb 7 oz listed weight, been thinking about going with it and using a liner if needed.

I usually sleep hot anyway, and most of the time wear a layer at night anyway because I don't like the bag against my skin. Using the Big Agnes Encampment 15 degree long bag 3lbs 9oz, most of the summer and fall I was warm, out of over 35 nights in it last year I was cold and kept it fully zipped maybe 3-4 nights. That includes the 1st rifle season hunt I went on.

Slim Jim

WKR
I have the mountain hardware plasma 32 degree down bag and I've used it down to 20 degrees with my base layers and I didn't get cold. It weighs in at 1 1/2 lbs. and it packs down to the size of a football. Love it