Sleeping bag

Jotis

WKR
How does the western mountaineering badger compare to the stone glacial chilkoot, in warmth and size?

archp625

WKR
I do not have any experience with the stone glacier. I do have a badger and love it. I took it down to 0 last year. I didn’t have other clothes on. I do not think you will find one bad thing about WM. I’m looking for a Caribou as we speak.

zacattack

WKR
I do not have any experience with the stone glacier. I do have a badger and love it. I took it down to 0 last year. I didn’t have other clothes on. I do not think you will find one bad thing about WM. I’m looking for a Caribou as we speak.
Agreed. The badger is legit. I have no knowledge of the chilkoot though, but I would think that the badger would be tough to beat.

jt4

WKR
Badger is a little bigger inside. Also comes in different lengths which would be nice for others who don’t need the long version. It would probably take some effort to get the zipper stuck bc of the way it’s designed which is nice. I’ve been in single digits with the badger without even bothering to move the down all to the top which could add some more warmth.

I did really like the magnetic neck draft collar closure of the SG. It’s a nice bag overall.

I really liked the stone glacier bag, but it came down to a simple made in China tag that made me send it back and get the Badger. Would have definitely kept the chilkoot if it wasn’t for that. No regrets at all spending the few extra dollars to have one that’s made here though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seth

WKR
I just got a badger at the end of last year and have taken it down the low 20’s without zipping it fully. It’s a very nice bag, and I’m very happy with it.

Was doing my usual agonizing over which piece of gear to go with and listening to a lecture earlier today. Paying half hearted attention to both and accidentally ordered a WM badger. Decision made I guess.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’ve been very happy with my badger. I’ve had it well below the temperature rating and in weather then was more wet than should have been and the badger did great. I love that bag.

I have owned both. Chilkoot is nice but the 3/4 length zipper isn't near as nice as the full length on all WM bags. Also even though the Chilkoot has an anti-snag dacron tape I still always got the zipper stuck. Rarely do you get a Western Mountaineering zipper stuck.

Also, the down used in the WM bags is a higher quality over the Chilkoot. Although both list 850 fill, WM bags are actually closer to 900 fill. Also, the 15D pertex on the Chilkoot is less than 1000mm hydrostatic water resistantance rating. The 12D micro lite fabric on the WM bags has a 1200mm hydrostatic rating even though its thinner fabric.

JJJ

Lil-Rokslider
Not what you asked, but...
I’ve got the Bloody Mary and the shocking blue from valandre, both on like 20% off sales.
Moosejaw has a random sale once a year where they’re marked down.
They are excellent bags
I was ready to pull the trigger on the WM or the valandre. Whichever was cheaper. The brand didn’t matter as much in the end