Sleeping bags best and weight and price.

So I’ve been noticing out there that there’s a huge scale between cheap and expensive and also means good versus bad.......which sleeping bag is the best bang for your buck when it comes to light and not so expensive? Looking for a down type around 20deg. ? Thanks for you guys knowledge.

Beendare

WKR
"Cheap" and "down bags" don't work well in the same sentence, IME.

I've seen it many times.......You will be upgrading in a few years.....

_______

Are you backpacking? If so, getting the highest fill power you can afford will directly translate to more warmth for the weight. There are tons of options...get something quality and it can last a lifetime with proper care. While some minor improvements in fabric will be made over the next 20 years, down fill is as good as it will ever be.

Upcountry

Lil-Rokslider
There are a ton of great options these days. I'd echo the sentiment of fronting a little more money up front to get one that will last you years, and will assure you comfort when you start approaching the temperature rating. With that said, you can find a pretty solid bag that will get you close to 20 degrees, under 3lbs, for around $300... Sea to Summit is fairly new to the game, but I own one of their bags, and their recent Ascent series has great reviews. If that's too rich for you, take a look at the Kelty Cosmic Down 20... I still own and older version one that I bought years ago, and have held onto it for a loaner bag for friends. It's about 2.5lb, packs fairly small, comfortable sizing, and can be found for $100 if you dig around and are patient.

OP
B

_______
Don’t mistake I never did say that I am looking for a cheap down bag. Simply there is a scale on everything from cheap or lowest price to most expensive. Doesn’t matter if you’re talking sports cars or down sleeping bags. I just refuse to spend $750 on a KUIU super down when I can buy a bag for $200 with the same down material and tested in the same laboratory with probably close to the same performance. I was hopping that somebody in herE could save me some research time and cut down the process By simply saying that XYZ bag for this much IMO does the same thing. The reply that JReeves Gave is perfect. Thank you.

OP
B
There are a ton of great options these days. I'd echo the sentiment of fronting a little more money up front to get one that will last you years, and will assure you comfort when you start approaching the temperature rating. With that said, you can find a pretty solid bag that will get you close to 20 degrees, under 3lbs, for around $300... Sea to Summit is fairly new to the game, but I own one of their bags, and their recent Ascent series has great reviews. If that's too rich for you, take a look at the Kelty Cosmic Down 20... I still own and older version one that I bought years ago, and have held onto it for a loaner bag for friends. It's about 2.5lb, packs fairly small, comfortable sizing, and can be found for $100 if you dig around and are patient.

awesome jreeves thank you so much. $300 is not out of the realm by any means.......I will look into those as well. read a review that one of the members did on a KUIU super down and some mountaineer bag and it sounded like to me that he got cold and even those are 750 each. So I guess that’s my whole point is I don’t want to spend $750 on something when I can get the same performance out of a $200 one.

OP
B
Are you backpacking? If so, getting the highest fill power you can afford will directly translate to more warmth for the weight. There are tons of options...get something quality and it can last a lifetime with proper care. While some minor improvements in fabric will be made over the next 20 years, down fill is as good as it will ever be.

Yes backpackinG/elk hunting. The climate is not too bad here in sept for cold but want to make sure we are comfortable. Been researching some bags that are 800 down for around $200-300.

Yes backpackinG/elk hunting. The climate is not too bad here in sept for cold but want to make sure we are comfortable. Been researching some bags that are 800 down for around $200-300.

The fill power tells you how “fluffy” each down particle is. How many ounces of that down are used, will determine how warm the bag is. A 30 degree bag with 850 fill powder down will weight less than a 30 degree bag with 600 fill power down. It will also cost quite a bit more. They will be essentially the same warmth...one will cost more and be lighter weight, but they will be the same warmth.

Sounds like you are on the right track. Just make sure you get a bag that will be warm enough. The temp ratings are usually pretty accurate for me. It’s no fun being cold in the backcountry.

slim9300

WKR

_______

Exactly. This couldn’t be more correct. For some perspective...

I bought a Marmot Helium (15°) and Hydrogen (30°) sixteen years ago (both 850-full down). They both work as well as the day I bought them and they have seen a ton of use. A few years back my wife started going on spring bear hunts and the 30° Hydrogen wasn’t quite warm enough for either of us. My wife picked me a 15° Kuiu bag for Christmas which I love, but overall it’s not really that much better than the Marmot. They both keep me warm down into the low 20s, and both are comfortable with clothing down into the teens.

Buy once and cry once. You may not learn that now but I promise you that you will understand it down the road if you stick with this long term.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Don’t mistake I never did say that I am looking for a cheap down bag. Simply there is a scale on everything from cheap or lowest price to most expensive. Doesn’t matter if you’re talking sports cars or down sleeping bags. I just refuse to spend $750 on a KUIU super down when I can buy a bag for $200 with the same down material and tested in the same laboratory with probably close to the same performance. I was hopping that somebody in herE could save me some research time and cut down the process By simply saying that XYZ bag for this much IMO does the same thing. The reply that JReeves Gave is perfect. Thank you.
Light
Cheap
Warm

You pick two of the three. You want to take someone's word for what you should get instead of doing your own research? That's missing out on half the chase. Everyone has different values they look for. You're obviously concerned with price, otherwise you wouldn't keep mentioning it. There's no unicorn light, warm, and cheap bag on the market.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

So I’ve been noticing out there that there’s a huge scale between cheap and expensive and also means good versus bad.......which sleeping bag is the best bang for your buck when it comes to light and not so expensive? Looking for a down type around 20deg. ? Thanks for you guys knowledge.
Hey Beretta612, seems your post generated a lot of comments but very little of what you asked for. Here’s my input....
I myself not too long ago upgraded my sleeping bag and had sticker shock also. I recommend you take a look at Outdoor Vitals. I purchased the -15 degree Summit and a 0 degree quilt and couldn’t be happier. A premium bag at a reasonable price. I hope this helps.

Jauwater

WKR
Man I would keep my eye on the REI Magma 30 or 15. They have sales alllll the time, and you can find those bags for around $250 or less. They are really good bags I've used both ,and I was very happy with them. I switched out the stuff sacks though. I could never get em in.

Sent from my SM-S205DL using Tapatalk

Jxferg7

Lil-Rokslider

_______
He’s right...go all out in the beginning vs spending 100-200 now for a 5lbs bag and then upgrading down the road.

Jxferg7

Lil-Rokslider
the search function on here will yield many results! I’ve dived in pretty hard recently trying to upgrade my Kelty I bought 4 years ago. I narrowed it down to Western Mountaineering, Marmot Helium or Lithium, or the outdoor vitals summit. I have decided not to spend the 300-500 to upgrade my sleeping bag to save 2-3 lbs...not yet anyway. going to try and get another year or so. I would also mention to check out Enlightened Equipment. They have some good shit at a good reasonable price. Good luck.

OP
B
Exactly. This couldn’t be more correct. For some perspective...

I bought a Marmot Helium (15°) and Hydrogen (30°) sixteen years ago (both 850-full down). They both work as well as the day I bought them and they have seen a ton of use. A few years back my wife started going on spring bear hunts and the 30° Hydrogen wasn’t quite warm enough for either of us. My wife picked me a 15° Kuiu bag for Christmas which I love, but overall it’s not really that much better than the Marmot. They both keep me warm down into the low 20s, and both are comfortable with clothing down into the teens.

Buy once and cry once. You may not learn that now but I promise you that you will understand it down the road if you stick with this long term.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess that’s why I’m confused. You agree with the cheap doesn’t equate to good or down, then you give me exactly what I am asking for. Your perspective is perfect info. I guess that is my point. The $750 KUIU does not perform any better than the $300 marmot. So why spend that additional money. feels like people don’t like the fact I’m trying to manage my budget when it all comes down to it.

OP
B
the search function on here will yield many results! I’ve dived in pretty hard recently trying to upgrade my Kelty I bought 4 years ago. I narrowed it down to Western Mountaineering, Marmot Helium or Lithium, or the outdoor vitals summit. I have decided not to spend the 300-500 to upgrade my sleeping bag to save 2-3 lbs...not yet anyway. going to try and get another year or so. I would also mention to check out Enlightened Equipment. They have some good shit at a good reasonable price. Good luck.

perfect info to go off of thank you very much!! Good luck to you too

Hey Beretta612, seems your post generated a lot of comments but very little of what you asked for. Here’s my input....
I myself not too long ago upgraded my sleeping bag and had sticker shock also. I recommend you take a look at Outdoor Vitals. I purchased the -15 degree Summit and a 0 degree quilt and couldn’t be happier. A premium bag at a reasonable price. I hope this helps.

you are correct. Lots of comments which I appreciate however I feel like people are concerned that I’m a cheap skate or something because I am managing my budget. This gear cost a lot of money. I have $10’s of 1000’s wrapped up in all the other stuff like clothes bows etc And need to not just throw money down a hole if I don’t need to. I am not new to hunting elk or hunting period. And I have done plenty of pack in type hunting but the gear I have can be lighter. I just need a little perspective when it comes to what to look for when buying a bag is all and not assume I have to spend $600+ bones to get one.

OP
B
He’s right...go all out in the beginning vs spending 100-200 now for a 5lbs bag and then upgrading down the road.
Sorry but he couldn’t be more wrong. Elkslayer posted outdoor vitals down bag. Looked at them and they appear to be 250-300.