Sleeping bags best and weight and price.

This is really a conversation about diminishing returns and value. Maybe the X brand 750 dollar bag is better than the Y brand 350 dollar bag. But is the incremental performance boost worth the cost differential? Hard to say. If it is for you... cool, if not, also cool.

Marmot has always been my sleeping bag brand of choice. Remember, Rokslide isn't always real life when it comes to gear. It's a land of hypothetical budgets and false choices.

(...also my opinions are bad because I really like my MR pack and Vortex scopes).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jardo

WKR
I know very little about sleeping bags. But I will tell you what I did.

I bought the Eddie Baur Kara Koram 0 degree bag off amazon for $199. It has 850 fill dwr treated down and I love the thing. It’s part of their First Ascent line which I love... especially the guide pants.

It’s regular price is over $500 so I think it’s a great deal. If you don’t like it, then send it back but I love mine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I bought the Eddie Baur Kara Koram 0 degree bag off amazon for $199. It has 850 fill dwr treated down and I love the thing. It’s part of their First Ascent line which I love... especially the guide pants.

Does it have an EN rating tag? Also what does it weigh? Just curious more than anything.

OP
B
A fair comparison. I have had no serious issues with my Marmot zipper other than it snagging occasionally. I was so used to opening that bag that if done right, it was easy to keep it from snagging if I used two hands. The Kuiu seems a tad better without any special treatment.

The helium is ideal for people who want a large/wide bag, but stay relatively UL, and the Kuiu is even better. I couldn’t imagine a more narrow bag to save a few ounces, and there are a lot of them out there. It appears the Helium Long compared to the Alpenlite Long has 1-2” less shoulder circumference, but 2” greater hip and footbox circumference. That partially explains the weight disparity between the two. It’s also appears my Kuiu has even more generous dimensions than the Helium. It has 3” greater circumference in the hips and 4” greater in the footbox compared to the Alpenlite. This explains why it’s more comfortable for me.

Low 20s is about as low as I will take any 15 degree bag. If you look at the independent EN testing done, they really aren’t designed to go down to their lowest temp rating. Needless to say, I have slept in the Helium down to 20-22 degrees a few times in my puffy. Wasn’t super warm but I could sleep. Since I don’t backpack after mid October, this isn’t a problem for me. It rarely gets that cold now-a-days during archery elk in MT anyways.

I mean really I think for what I am looking for I think the helium will prob be the bag I go with. Other than a couple people have mentioned the REI magma. They seem to both be relatively in line when it comes to what the bag has to offer. You have given some good insight and real experience and that helps. Appreciate the info you have given me.

slim9300

WKR
This is really a conversation about diminishing returns and value. Maybe the X brand 750 dollar bag is better than the Y brand 350 dollar bag. But is the incremental performance boost worth the cost differential? Hard to say. If it is for you... cool, if not, also cool.

Marmot has always been my sleeping bag brand of choice. Remember, Rokslide isn't always real life when it comes to gear. It's a land of hypothetical budgets and false choices.

(...also my opinions are bad because I really like my MR pack and Vortex scopes).

This is accurate. Here’s the deal. I have every piece of high end gear I will ever need. Tens of thousands of dollars of the best optics, rifle, bow, packs, sleep systems, clothing, etc. Money means very little to me and I feel lucky for that. I could have any piece of gear that I want, but I have gotten to the point after 16 years of hunting/scouting/backpacking 60+ days per year and testing many different options (at least some items), that I know what truly works for me. Buying once and crying once does not mean you buy the most expensive popular option, it means you buy the proven items somewhere in the top tier. Something that will serve you well for many years and that you won’t regret after 1-3 seasons. BUT, if you can’t afford that, buy used gear or even more affordable mid range items if it means you will be out there learning, gaining experience and enjoying the outdoors.

When I bought my first sleeping bags for backpacking roughly 16 years ago, (Helium and Hydrogen) they were the high-end option. There really wasn’t many more expensive options since I paid like $400 and $420 for each of them. I think I remember the best model WM bags being in the 450-500 range back then.

I came into this post with more organized thoughts, so if they come to me, I’ll throw in an edit.

Good luck this season boys.

OP
B
This is accurate. Here’s the deal. I have every piece of high end gear I will ever need. Tens of thousands of dollars of the best optics, rifle, bow, packs, sleep systems, clothing, etc. Money means very little to me and I feel lucky for that. I could have any piece of gear that I want, but I have gotten to the point after 16 years of hunting/scouting/backpacking 60+ days per year and testing many different options (at least some items), that I know what truly works for me. Buying once and crying once does not mean you buy the most expensive popular option, it means you buy the proven items somewhere in the top tier. Something that will serve you well for many years and that you won’t regret after 1-3 seasons. BUT, if you can’t afford that, buy used gear or even more affordable mid range items if it means you will be out there learning, gaining experience and enjoying the outdoors.

When I bought my first sleeping bags for backpacking roughly 16 years ago, (Helium and Hydrogen) they were the high-end option. There really wasn’t many more expensive options since I paid like $400 and $420 for each of them. I think I remember the best model WM bags being in the 450-500 range back then.

I came into this post with more organized thoughts, so if they come to me, I’ll throw in an edit.

Good luck this season boys.

definitely appreciate your expertise. In light of some of the drama from some members I learned a lot about bags in the last couple days that now I can go buy with confidence. Guys like you helped a lot. Thanks again.

Idaboy

WKR
So I’ve been noticing out there that there’s a huge scale between cheap and expensive and also means good versus bad.......which sleeping bag is the best bang for your buck when it comes to light and not so expensive? Looking for a down type around 20deg. ? Thanks for you guys knowledge.

Do you sleep warm or cold?
-that would impact decision about temp and quilt vs bag
- I sleep cold and hunt at 7-10k ft in Sept/Oct so went with 15 degree bag
- read tons of reviews on the bag you are looking at and you will find if temp rating has held up

Do you sleep Easy or do little things wake you up ?
-any little thing wakes me up (rain, draft, cold) so I invested a little more on bag and pad .....I can do 1-2 nights of so-so sleep but 3-5 days of bad sleep and I am worthless and then trip is less enjoyable for me

Price is personal
I got a West Mtn Badger a few years back, has been durable, very comfortable and temp rating great (woke up with ice on bag and was warm)....not the cheapest piece of equipment I own......so far seems durable

Be careful with sleeping bag weight cutting measures as some "ultralight" materials maybe great, but may be at risk for tearing/rip, which would suck on a hunt

If you buy a less expensive one and don't like it, I am sure you'll be able to use for family trips or kids sleep overs.....if you buy a $600 bag and don't like it, well ...........

I know the whole ounces is pounds Yada Yada, but I wouldn't sweat 8oz +/- on a bag, would make sure size fits you well etc

Good luck....just don't skimp on temp rating would be my only advice

eyeguy

Lil-Rokslider
I have the marmot helium model I think is its name. It is the 15 degree bag. I have it in the long version as I am 6 ft 4 in and about 215. It is a little on the tight side for me. It is a warm high quality bag. Have had it down int the teens and lost very little to no sleep. It is my go to bag for cold season hunting deep into the mountains but because of the short zipper , slim profile and great warmth I often use a little more full cut bag with a longer zipper to manage temps... Good luck on your search.

gexpro

WKR
Classified Approved
you pay a premium price for the packability and lightweight aspect. imo, you can run to Costco and buy a 0 degree bag but it'll weigh 9lbs. if you are camping out of your car then that'll work for you.

I backpack hunt- weight, packability and warmth are essential. that being said, you are going to pay a much higher price for these 3 things.

I run the KUIU 30 degree bag and layer up with down jacket and down pants if i expect weather to dip low. In the beginning i ran the sea to summit micro III.. Which is a nice bag, but the KUIU blows it out of the water in all categories.

Last edited:

CO-AJ

WKR
I have a WM Versalite which is made from their lightest fabric. Love the bag and it is light and packable. I would never place it directly on the ground, it is always on a sleeping pad, in a tent, likely all on a tyvek ground cloth. It is not loose in the pack but in a sea-to-summit compression sack so it will never get snagged on anything in the pack. Yes it was pricey but I expect years of use given my level of care for my gear.

1. Firm believer in the buy once cry once. However I also rarely buy new stuff. My advice is to get the absolute best thing you can afford every time but be patient, get it used, and Be a bit flexible on the brand etc. There are a lot of guys that get set on a certain brand or specific item and can’t live without it.
C. Weight isn’t the be all end all.
What happens when you shoot an animal that weighs 30lbs more than the one you shot last year. You load that beast up and pack it out either way. It makes worrying about cutting your toothbrush in half and counting tp squares seem pretty foolish to me.

V-TRAIN

WKR
In the western mountaineering bags, as far as packability size, is there a big difference in size when packed down between the extreme lite series and their others ? I have a wiggys, I love it, but man it is huge, i use a sea to summit compression bag, the biggest one and it is still a space hog.

Also, with the down bags, if you have, say a shirt soaked for sweat, can you throw it in the bottom and it be dry in the morning after sleeping in it, like you can with synthetic bags ? was just curious, or would the down soak up the moisture , and the whole bag be damp at the bottom ?

Beendare

WKR
I didn't mean to sound like a dick with my cheap down comment....but its true. 550 and 650 is junk.

I can tell you I have not seen a sub $200 DOWN bag that will keep you warm over time. Someone said go with 800 fill power and I would agree. The 650 and 550 fills just don't hold their loft over time....I've seen it time and again.

I had an old Kelty 550 fill bag rated 20 degrees and you would be cold in 50 degree weather- I kid you not. They do not keep their loft.

You CAN find a good syn bag for under $300.

I've hunted all over in Alaska, the rockies etc for 4 decades and if I was buying a bag right now it would be Western Mountaineering or Feathered Friends. Can you find a $300 bag thats 800 fill? Maybe, I don't know.

Currently REI has nuthin good but if you can get their good 800 fill bag on sale- its a good deal.
I know right now you will have a limited selection and few sales as everything that is any good is backordered. If you can wait a few months thing should be better.

Typically these bags go on sale in Jan/Feb and I picked up a couple Montbell bags for 1/2 off that I still use 10/15 years later. Now Montbell is about the same price as WM- so easy decision there- WM!

Beendare

WKR
Oh and to the claim that someone was bad mouthing a $750 bag....

I would bet dollars to donuts THAT^ was operator error. A down bag absolutely needs a good pad as it doesn't provide insulation from the ground. Down insulates due to its loft....when compressed it does nothing.

I bet it was some numb nuts that had no clue he needs a pad with good R value. I only wish I was there to take it off his hands cheap!

_____

AKDoc

WKR
...so easy decision there- WM!
I agree with you Beendare...I wish I would have bought my WM Badger/MF years ago, but I have one now!

The superior loft of the 850+ fill, the highly durable yet very light wt shell fabric, noticeably excellent construction, and a totally snag-proof zipper were immediately apparent right out of the box.

The purchase price is a big pill to swallow, but for my hunting and outdoor pursuits it is well worth it because I typically spend at least a month cumulative each year sleeping in a tent. I've gone through several bags over the years, but this WM bag would have saved me money for sure. I sleep warm so a 15degree bag is perfect for me.

Last edited:

DANJR

FNG
I currently have a really nice older Coleman Peak 1 down bag. This was a very high quality bag from their mountaineering line of yesteryear. Keep eyes peeled on craigslist and facebook marketplace as they pop up.

My current bag is a zero degree down bag, that is awesome for late season hunts. However, I'm wanting to pick up a lighter weight and smaller pack size 30-35 degree bag for archery season. That paired with sleeping in a puffy jacket should be a perfect match for that 20 degree temperature range. I wouldn't want anything other than a zero degree bag for late seasons, and many 0 degree bags are similar size to 20 degree bags.

Depends upon your hunting location and style I guess, but being cold is no fun, and neither is stuffing your pack with too much bag than you need for the hunt. For me a 20 degree bag is kind of an in between that wouldn't get used very often, but could be more of a one bag quiver, some hot and cold nights thrown in.

I didn’t see any comments regarding fill weight. That honestly is a huge part to staying warm given a temp rating versus a certain brand. When comparing brands at the same temp rating always look at the size and fill weight. Western Mountaineering and Feathered Friends are known to be true to their temp rating D they use premium 850 - 900 down with conservative amounts of down.

also the REI marmot helium is listed at $430 right now and you can get a brand new Western Mountaineering Alpinlite 20 for $544. So for $114 more you ensure that you are sleeping the best you can in the backcountry.