Sleeping Bags (Down or Synthetic)

aggieland

WKR
Marmot Plasma 15 ...... Using this bag over the top of me in a Clark Jungle Hammock and a three season Under quilt under the hammock. Seemed to work very well in archery season.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I'm also using the BA Zirkel SL 20. I used the Lost Ranger 15 happily for years, but the Zirkel is lighter, packs smaller, and I think it is actually warmer, despite the temp ratings.

This is a good question. For me, the decision is easy for the extremes: In Cold/Dry weather, where the chance of getting the bag wet is small, then I almost always go with a down filled bag. And go with higher quality fill (this means a 700-900 fill). A 500-700 fill has less quality but is also cheaper. Down bags are more expensive (1.5-3 times) than synthetic fill, but they last longer, weigh less (especially as the amount of fill goes up the weight saving becomes more significant). In wet/warmer climates such as coastal brown bear, coastal goat hunts, Sitka Blacktail, Roosevelt elk hunting, etc. then go with a synthetic fill bag. Also, when using a bivy bag in damp climates, use synthetic as condensation can be high. Down does not do well with condensation. The "in-between" situations depend on the person. If you use a high quality tent, carry your sleeping bag in a waterproof stuff sack and are careful to keep the bag dry, then a down bag is usually my preference, for the weight and space savings it allows. If you want to just throw the sleeping bag out on the ground, use less than ideal tents, etc., then I'd stay with synthetic. As far as size goes, I use one size larger (longer) than what is recommended, that way I can keep my boots and gaitors (in a garbage or leight wt. waterproof bag), in the foot of the sleeping bag, to keep them from freezing in sub-freezing weather. The choice between a snug/small mummy bag, a wide mummy or something in between is personal choice. I prefer the med sized Mummy bags as they give me more room, but are not too much heavier than really narrow one. Also, keep in mind that a sleeping pad is nearly as important as a sleeping bag for warmth, sometimes more so as they insulate you from the cold, frozen ground, which causes more heat loss than from the air. Also, sleeping with a warm hat, long underwear and socks will help increase the warmth of your bag and will keep it from smelling like a sweaty mountain man, that much longer. Sleeping nude in a sleeping bag, unless you have someone in it with you, is not warmer than sleeping with some clothes on. As far as makes, models go, I've had good luck with Integral Designs (down or synthetic), Western Mountaineering (Down), Feathered Friends (Down), Montbell (Down or Synthetic), Marmot (Down or Synthetic), Wiggy's (Synthetic), Kifaru (Synthetic). The company is not as important as the features, design and quality of materials used. Look for a good zipper, with stiff material around it, so that it does not catch, a good hood and shoulder fit for those cold nights and a reasonable warmth to weigh ratio. One an African Self guided hunt in Cameroun, I just took a $60-80 fleece sleeping bag and a sleeping pad; this combo worked well as night temps were 50-60 F. After you finish your trip, let the bag and sleeping pad air out well before storing. Store sleeping bags either by hanging in a closet or in a loose/large sac (most high quality bags come with one) or in a big duffel.

BMB

Lil-Rokslider
BA Zirkel SL........gonna try out the Kifaru Slick bags this season for my Alaska hunt next year.

bohntr

WKR
For backpack hunts, I prefer quality down for its size and weight considerations. I generally use the Big Agnes Pomer Hoit (0 degree) goose down bag with the integrated sleeve for the pad. I also use the BA pad. No complaints with this system at all.

Xtorminator

Lil-Rokslider
I would love to get a 20*Slick bag. I am just a little woried that I will get cold near the end of Sept. I tend to sleep a little cold. Might just get one and man up anyway.

JG358

WKR
I picked up a BA Blackburn 0* down bag last year. So far so good, beats packing in my old cabelas -20 bag.

I use all synthetic bags and have numerous bags for any condition I would encounter here in AK. I have a Wiggy's Antartic bag good to -40 by itself or -60 with the overbag, for winter moose/caribou hunts. I also have a Wiggy's mountain hunter ultra light bag rated at 15 degrees for sheep hunting and a wiggy's superlight for everything else! Great bags!

Campo

FNG
I am currently using a Mountain Hardware that goes down to +20 I do believe. That said, it is lacking in the area of full zip, so I am looking elsewhere for this fall's hunt.

Solitude

WKR
Western Mountaineering Alpinlite for my August deer and September Elk

However, if I ever pick up a Supertarp I may have to switch over from down....I think?

Mike7

WKR
I haven't tried many of the above bags, but currently have the most comfortable, packable, and versatile system I've ever had. I'm not sure it would be so great for Alaska, but seems to work well here, even in fairly wet, humid weather. I like a lot of potential room when I sleep, so that is a big factor likely in why I really like my current system.

I have a Montbell Super Spiral Down 30 degree Bag which I place in the Montbell gortex sleeping bag cover. I use this under tents and tarps and keep the whole thing in an OR waterproof stuff sack. I have slept comfortably down to 15 degrees while wearing long johns and a fleece hat. The whole thing weighs between 2 and 3 lbs.

bowhnter7

Lil-Rokslider
Having three people in the house that enjoy the mountains has given me the oppurtunity to try many bags.......and pass them down.

Pretty happy with my BA Mystic 15 right now but have my eye on a Marmot Helium or one of these new Kifaru bags I keep hearing about.

I use a Marmot Atom (which is down) rated @ 40 degrees for bivy hunts up through the middle of October.

drthornton

Lil-Rokslider
In an effort to get more room(wide shoulders, restless and side sleeper) and still stay light, I made myself get over my Down phobia. New bag is a BA Summit Park which is only 2 ounces heavier than my old synthetic...The pad weight is what is gonna get me.

I have both. I don't have the high end bags but my North Face cats meow works well just a bit bulky even when compressed. I have a 15 degree REI down bag with 600 fill that I got for $100; it was $250ish full retail. I have thought about upgrading them but I haven't been cold or wet yet. I use a tent and not a bivy.