Sleeping bags

HookUp

WKR
I run a nemo riff 15 works great and lots of room to flop around for a side sleeper like me.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Can't wait to head back to WY!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Opening weekend rifle crowd shut them up, that's for sure. The difference between Tue-Wed and after Thursday has been remarkable. You headed back mid Oct?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Clarktar

WKR
Opening weekend rifle crowd shut them up, that's for sure. The difference between Tue-Wed and after Thursday has been remarkable. You headed back mid Oct?

I'm sure it did. Yep, should be setting up a tent on the 14th. Torn between hiking into where I bow hunted and looking for a bull or heading into another easier drainage I know and shooting a cow (not that it is a guarantee but a bit easier and better odds).

Still remembering the bull that got away in September I suppose!

Sportsman

Lil-Rokslider
Not all bags are rated the same. Some are rated for comfort and others survival so not all 20 degree bags are the same. I have a 20 degree bag that isn't comfortable at 40 degrees without long johns.

Great info in this podcast from August:

nrh6.7

WKR
I used a 20* EE quilt the last week of archery elk in WY last year and froze my butt off. Didn't take long to figure out quilts are not for me. I've been researching down bags and discovered Valandre. They aren't US made, but are some of the best bags available.

Picked up the Bloody Mary (23* comfort) for early season hunts and the Odin Neo (-22* comfort) for late season.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I used a 20* EE quilt the last week of archery elk in WY last year and froze my butt off. Didn't take long to figure out quilts are not for me. I've been researching down bags and discovered Valandre. They aren't US made, but are some of the best bags available.

Picked up the Bloody Mary (23* comfort) for early season hunts and the Odin Neo (-22* comfort) for late season.
Those are some great bags, but definitely not on the roomy list that most guys are looking for. They rank right up there with WM and the other high end bags.

nrh6.7

WKR
Those are some great bags, but definitely not on the roomy list that most guys are looking for. They rank right up there with WM and the other high end bags.

Not sure what you mean about roomy list. I only pulled the BM out of the sack but didn't crawl in yet. These two I think are cut spaciously enough to wear a lot of layers if need be. I will find out tomorrow.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Not sure what you mean about roomy list. I only pulled the BM out of the sack but didn't crawl in yet. These two I think are cut spaciously enough to wear a lot of layers if need be. I will find out tomorrow.
Most guys on here want one they can roll over in twice without getting twisted, they don't want a slimmer bag which is more thermal efficient.

Clarktar

WKR
I used a 30 degree EE quilt from September 10th to the 20th in WY this year. I wore my clothes to bed a few nights. But I survived and wasn't miserable.

nrh6.7

WKR
Most guys on here want one they can roll over in twice without getting twisted, they don't want a slimmer bag which is more thermal efficient.

Gotcha. I don't need a ton of room, but then again I tend to not move around too much. Hopefully they work for me.

Feathered Friends 20 deg Hummingbird, great bag. Never taken below 28 f but when you get hot it has a full length zipper you can use it like a quilt. Very comfortable and super light.

1000yrds

FNG
I would suggest a multi bag system with a bivy sack and a good pad. Will keep you warm to at least -10. Add a set of polyproplene long johns, a beanie and booties that you only wear in bed and perhaps a hot water bottle and you should be good to -50. The military ones are ok, to heavy to backpack with IMHO.

Luziana Feller

Lil-Rokslider
Are you still liking this bag? How roomy is it?
I just spent 9 days in CO with this bag. Its warmer than I expected. I'm pretty lean and slept comfortably in underwear and my merino top down to 20 degrees.

Its roomy enough for me to sleep with my boots to dry them out. I'm 5' 10" and fits perfectly length wise. If you are any taller I would buy the tall size

hikenhunt

WKR
As others have stated, some bags like WM and EE are much truer to their bag ratings than most others. Sometimes the specs will tell you the bag rating is the EN Lower Limit, which is more survival than a good night's sleep. Look for the EN comfort rating if available. A good way to check a bag's temperature rating is to look for the insulation material and loft thickness and compare them with the WM and EE bags and ratings.

Blackhawk45hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I’m gonna be the odd man out here, I’ve been using the USGI black bag for the past 6 years with great success. It’s supposedly rated for -10* but I’d call it a 10* bag at best. I’ve taken it down to 15* by itself and -10* with the addition of a homemade climashield Apex woobie/quilt inside. My sleeping pad is a closed cell foam pad (5/8” thick) and that’s without layered up clothing, but it should be worth mentioning that I’m a human furnace and heat pours off me so I have a tendency to be able to get more ‘oomph’ from a sleeping bag than most.

I just bought a Kifaru 20* slick bag which will probably be taking its place as my primary bag now. Just waiting on Ohio’s weather to get it’s act together and start cooling off. It’s been insanely warm these past few weeks,

If you want the best go with Western Mountaineering! Do a web search and take a look at all the rave reviews!

I actually use a 0 degree bag year-round in Colorado, Wyo, and Alaska.. If it's warm I'll merely sleep on top or with the zipper open. When it's super cold I'm usually warm! I just returned from a sheep hunt where it was in the 40's at night at 11,000' elevation. I actually wore my thermals in my 0 degree bag and was just about right! I would much rather have too warm of a bag than to cool! I obviously am a light-weight when it comes to being cold but would highly recommend a warmer rating than the actual temperature. If you buy a down bag with a weather-proof outer there likely isn't a whole lot of difference in weight and bulk between a 0 and 20 degree bag. There is no way I'd go with anything less than a 20 degree bag for the Colo mountains....but that's just me! In the fall it's 0 degree bag for sure!
Thanks for the good post. I’ve never used WM and I live and chase archery bulls here in MT and am under 6’ 165lbs. Which bag are you running and do you have any recommendations?

VAboy

FNG
Nemo riff 15*. I've used it from the 60's down into the teens. The thermal gills are no joke! You can fine tune it pretty well with the gills and not have to open and close the bag all night if you get hot. The spoon shape is amazing if you toss and turn and never get twisted up. If you're worried about the extra space just tuck it under or toss in extra clothes.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Thanks for the good post. I’ve never used WM and I live and chase archery bulls here in MT and am under 6’ 165lbs. Which bag are you running and do you have any recommendations?
WM Versalite 10deg bag is less than 2lbs

I run a WM Kodiak with 5 oz over fill and that thing is killer in any weather I plan on being in. I have a liner if I leave a stove at home. I once spent 45 days in -999 degrees in just my underwear.
:)

Seriously, get a WM bag- incredible game changers.