Sleeping bags

What does everybody use? For temps in the 40s what degree of bag should I get. I looked a 40 degree bags but I think that i woild get cold.

BradNSW

FNG
In Idaho Mts (8500-9000ft) I use a zero bag. Early Sep it is usually unzipped or just draped over me and the groundpad. Every once in awhile, temps drop as a storm rolls through and it's nice to be toasty with it zipped. Had snow last year on my last two nights mid Sep. Also, 40 degrees in the valleys is 20s up higher too.

Put mine out yesterday with a good scent killer spray down after it was washed. Will bring it in tonight and bag it with some pine boughs until it goes in the stuff sack on 1 SEP!!

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've got a lot of options for bags and quilts, but right now for UL warmer weather early season stuff I'm using a WM Astralite quilt rated to 26 degrees. Weighs 18 oz or so.

For cold weather I use a WM Antelope 5 degree or an EE Enigma 0 degree with overstuff. This quilt and bag have nearly the same amount of loft, but for real cold I'd take the bag.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Always best to have tooo much warmth than expected need....I’ve slept on a hillside with no enough warmth no wait I did not sleep at all and will never forget it......I run a zero degree down bag and sleep very well 👍

303TrophyHusband

Lil-Rokslider
I just bought the Enlightened Equipment Conundrum 20 bag from their overstock page, going to go try it out this weekend hopefully. Ended up getting it for about $40 off retail, if interested keep an eye on this link:

or their scratch n dent page:

Lando

WKR
My rule of thumb is 20 degrees rating below expected temps, so I'd go 20 for 40 degree temps.

Jimss

WKR
If you want the best go with Western Mountaineering! Do a web search and take a look at all the rave reviews!

I actually use a 0 degree bag year-round in Colorado, Wyo, and Alaska.. If it's warm I'll merely sleep on top or with the zipper open. When it's super cold I'm usually warm! I just returned from a sheep hunt where it was in the 40's at night at 11,000' elevation. I actually wore my thermals in my 0 degree bag and was just about right! I would much rather have too warm of a bag than to cool! I obviously am a light-weight when it comes to being cold but would highly recommend a warmer rating than the actual temperature. If you buy a down bag with a weather-proof outer there likely isn't a whole lot of difference in weight and bulk between a 0 and 20 degree bag. There is no way I'd go with anything less than a 20 degree bag for the Colo mountains....but that's just me! In the fall it's 0 degree bag for sure!

sneaky

"DADDY"
It's gonna be teens here in western WY this coming week. 20 deg EE quilt is staying in the truck, the WM Kodiak is going in the pack

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Clarktar

WKR
It's gonna be teens here in western WY this coming week. 20 deg EE quilt is staying in the truck, the WM Kodiak is going in the pack

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Can't wait to head back to WY!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk