Sleeping in Puffy Layers without a sleeping bag

I am thinking about trying to sleep in a Stone Glacier Grumman suit, I already have the jacket and am waiting for a deal on the pants. The jacket is wicked warm, and I am sure the pants are the same.

A long time ago, I saw one of the Stone Glacier dudes post something about sleeping in his puffy layers alone, he was testing it out, I’m pretty sure he had all his layers on, as well as gloves and a beanie, not sure what he had on his feet.... however, I never saw the results.

Have any of you guys ever tried sleeping in puffy layers alone? What were you wearing (head to toe), be as specific as possible? What kind of shelter setup were you in? What temperature was it outside? What sleeping pad were you using?

Obviously, it doesn’t necessarily save a ton of weight, however it does allow you to bring an extra puffy item or two, without a weight penalty, which can be nice around camp and while glassing. I’m just mainly trying to glean some tips and parameters to see how I can get away with it, before I try it out.

Before you question my mental health. Please know that I sleep very hot, and I will test it with my quilt nearby the first couple times. I have also made myself used to sleeping with most of my clothes on, because I like the time savings of not having to spend time putting all my clothes on in the morning. I just eat, pack up and head out for the day.

I understand the risks involved, and I am not a p****, so please spare me any lecturing, if you can.

I forgot my bag one trip and didn't realize it until we were about to hike in. I slept in two pairs of puffy pants and jackets, bootie covers, puffy gloves, and a winter hat. I think it got down to low 30s that night, and I woke up cold twice. Mainly because of cold feet. I use a zero degree bag I use for everything, and it woulda kept me warm for that no question. I was also on a klymit insulated pad. Luckily I tagged out in the morning and didn't have to test my winter gear out again, the next night was supposed to get down in the 20s.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I've slept in KUIU Ultra Super down pants and jackets many times....usually on the mountain during noon nap time...not extended periods. Boots on feet.

Also at night when it was zero out and I had a 15* bag around me and the down clothes were used as supplementary insulation.

I wouldn't want to go too far down into the 20's without a bag that is for sure.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I think that a light bivvy or some other ultralight bag would always be in my pack. I think trapping body heat in a bag has a different effect than sleeping in the same amount of puffy insulation.

I have slept in puffy layers with a bivvy sack but my feet get cold and it seems like I have more cold spots and variations.

Wapiti151

WKR
I'd have to pass on this idea, in theory, I guess it wouldn't be terrible but good sleep is such a key element to a good and productive hunt IMO. You can save weight in a lot of areas, but my sleep system would be one of the last things to go.

I've done it while doing an overnight camp out on some sheep. I won't do it again. We went up light and left our tent and sleeping bags in the valley with other gear. No wind or rain so we figured we would be fine hunkered down in our rain gear, base layers, and puffy gear. Had to kill 6 hours waiting for the sheep to come down and feed below us. It was effing miserable. Early August and I'm guessing it probably got into the teens. We spent a good portion of the night doing jumping jacks and pushups.

Huntin_GI

WKR
I have to agree with the above sentiment. The bag is essential in that heat holding process. Your body is warming the air within the bag which in turn helps you remain warm. In a full puffy kit, while you may be heat the air that exists between the down, that ambient air surrounding your puffy is not being heated or retained.

I did in the front seat of the truck on an unplanned overnight.
Ran the truck a couple times to warm up.
I'd be hesitant to have just the puffy layers as my only option. But would use a warmer quilt and borah bivy in combination.

WoodBow

WKR
I think a light quilt or bag would really help a lot if you go this route. Helps a lot for your appendages to get to share heat. I have certainly slept in puffy pants and jacket to extend the range of my bag.

For me, and most, a 2 lb bag is a price happily paid to know i will sleep comfortably.

Jimbob

WKR
I have not done it but these are thoughts.

I would never consider using my puffies as my only sleep option. If I did I would still have a bivy for sleeping to try and trap the heat.

I have considered adding puffy pants to my kit and then taking a lighter sleeping bag. This way there would be no weight penalty for the puffy pants. However, I would need to sleep in my puffy coat and pants to be warm enough in the lightweight bag. The downside is a what-if situation where my puffy pants and coat get wet then my bag is not warm enough.

*zap*

WKR
A couple of pounds for an adequate sleeping bag is really not an issue for me, no way I want to sleep in outer layers either with no bag or in an inadequate bag.

ymmv

Having been in that situation a few times, I can say that If by accident, it's manageable or tolerable as a survival tactic. I wouldn't recommend it as a planned hunting strategy, though.

Carlin59

WKR
Once it gets cold, I pretty much always sleep in my synthetic puffy inside my bag. On trips where I know it will be really cold or will require a lot of sitting for extended hours, the synthetic puffy pants come along I’ll wear them in the sleeping bag as well. They definitely add a boost of warmth in the bag and the strategy helps push a lighter bag into colder temps. Don’t think I’d intentionally go sans bag unless it was August/early September and a shorter trip.