Sleeping Pad for Big Agnes

SoYoCo

FNG
Hey everyone, I have a question for folks who camp on hunting trips. I purchased a Big Agnes Park series bag for a MT hunting trip in 2020. I didn’t realize how much heat is lost out of the bottom of the bag till we set camp and racked out on night 1. I used a cot in our wall tent and assumed the pad was more for comfort, and less for insulation. Needless to say, I had a very cold week. Can anyone recommend a sleeping pad for the park series bags? I don’t plan on using this bag for backpacking, it’s way to large. With that said weight and size isn’t the primary concern, I’m looking for heat retention and comfort.

svivian

WKR
Nemo tensor in a 25” model. If shape and size don’t matter then get the thermarest xtherm for best warmth.

The park series bags were specifically designed to be used with a pad. In most cases having a sleeping bag with insulation underneath you is useless as it compresses. An insulated pad compensates that and greatly increases your bags ability to keep you warm.

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
If you aren't packing it in and just using on a cot in a wall tent, get about a 4" thick piece of memory foam and sleep like a champ.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
S

SoYoCo

FNG
The memory foam crossed my mind, It would probably be the best option. I do like the idea of having a packable pad though. Thanks for the info!

eh254413

Lil-Rokslider
I just started using a Big Agnes Q-Core Delux and am loving it. Not the lightest pad in the world, but it’s worth it to me for the comfort. Super warm as well.

OP
S

SoYoCo

FNG
Does the q-core fit into the bottom of your bag, or do you lay on top of it like a traditional bag/pad?

eh254413

Lil-Rokslider
I lay on top of it. Its worth noting I purchased the wide version. I don't know how wide your shoulders are but I wouldn't want to try and use the regular.

wyojdubya

Lil-Rokslider
This summer I picked up a Big Agnes AXL air pad after seeing it on clearance in the deals forum here. I slept 16 nights on it this fall and was very pleased with the performance.

JohnD116

FNG
Since size isn’t an issue (non backpacking), I’d strongly recommend the Wellax ultra thick self inflating pad which can be found on Amazon. It’s got foam inside so you’re not going to stuff it in a sack, it rolls up, but this thing is super comfortable and has a serious R value (I think it’s like 9). I took a plunge and bought this off brand pad and do not regret it at all. It’s extremely affordable as well in comparison to some. Just a note, I’m pretty sure it’s not going to fit in the sleeve found on the backside of the big Agnes bags.