Sleeping Pad for Big Guys

Kerrbow

Lil-Rokslider
I am suffering sensory overload trying to find a pad or backpack cot for an upcoming elk hunt in September. I am 6'6" and 260 lbs. and will be doing several 1-2 day backpack overnighters from base camp. I am 71 yrs. old and really need a good nights sleep to keep up with my younger hunting partners on this hunt. Anybody with firsthand experience with these types of situations I would gladly appreciate your input, thanks a lot.

I am 6’3” 250. I have run both therma rest and klymit. IMO solid foam and self inflators have been eclipsed by inflatables. For that hunt, I would look are an Xtherm by thermarest or a klymit static v in long. I have and use both and. Can’t say I have a strong preference between them. I actually combine mine with a foam zlite or ridge rest and sleep well. I also put my pack and pillow under my head, off the pad to extend length of my bed. Doing this, I could probably get by with a standard length pad but I like the 25” width.

Trial153

WKR
Couple issues. An ultra lite cot for your size is going to be around 3 pounds, you will need to add another 1 to 1.5 pounds for a pad ...so 4 to 4.5 pounds without your bag.
That's a lot of weight to pack in.

I would go with closed cell pack and then on top a good 3" pad from exped, Nemo, sea to summit or therma rest.

OP
Kerrbow

Kerrbow

Lil-Rokslider
Couple issues. An ultra lite cot for your size is going to be around 3 pounds, you will need to add another 1 to 1.5 pounds for a pad ...so 4 to 4.5 pounds without your bag.
That's a lot of weight to pack in.

I was thinking about the cot w/o a pad with a fleece blanket on top of the cot. I have never slept on a backpack air mattress as there were no such creatures around 25 years ago on my last backpack elk hunt. My old self inflatable pad I used did okay and I am sure there has been much improvement since then. I have tried sleeping on an air mattress like people use when they have company come stay and that was a miserable night.

Trial153

WKR
A fleece blanket will add almost as much weight a pad, maybe more.

A pad like the brands I mentioned above will not resemble the feel of a blow up Walmart mattress.

For example...

There is new tensor listed on here for a steal also

OP
Kerrbow

Kerrbow

Lil-Rokslider
A fleece blanket will add almost as much weight a pad, maybe more.

A pad like the brands I mentioned above will not resemble the feel of a blow up Walmart mattress.

For example...

There is new tensor listed on here for a steal also
That would probably be a good combo with the down quilt. Thanks for the heads up.

Mosby

WKR
Whatever pad brand you decide, I would get a large, insulated pad that is 25 inches wide. Coupling an inflatable with a foam pad will increase warmth but weight as well and it adds up in a hurry. I would spend some nights in your tent trying whatever you buy and confirming what you need and what works for you. Don't wait until you are on the mountain.

Wiscgunner

Lil-Rokslider
I am 6'1" 250 and am a slide sleeper who tosses about a bit in the night. I have a Klymit Static V Lux Insulated pad at 35oz (30"Wide x 76"L x 3" thick). I really like the elbow support when on my back and the added width is really nice for my arms when on my side.

They have new, lighter version that is 31.32oz (27"x78"x3.5")

I have found running a Nemo Switchback (14.5oz) foam pad (72x20x0.9) under is not only warmer on colder nights but also is a bit more comfortable on my side so I can run the air pad less firm for better contouring of my lower back. On nights below freezing I wrap an emergency blanket (2.5oz) over the air pad for more reflection. This makes the system almost as warm as running the reflective foam on top of the air pad but much more comfortable. You could shave some weight ?(4oz) going to the shorter version (51"x20"x0.9") but I figured I can always cut a couple panels off the longer foam pad for a seat cushion if I really wanted. I chose the Nemo because it is thicker than the Thermarest foam pads.

As I bigger guy, I had a heck of time finding a bag that fit my size and fish out of water style of sleeping. I looked hard at the Big Agnes Bags but found them to be a bit heavy considering they are basically quilts due to the lack on insuation on the bag with their ingenious sleeping pad pocket. Unfortunately that pocket doesn't fit wider or extra thick pads. I like the comfort of a quilt for my style of sleeping but wanted to be able to zip up if needed on colder nights. I came across the SeaToSummit Explore Down 25* bag (42.5oz). 102266
It has adjustable and replaceable straps on the bottom to secure to a pad that work great even on my larger pad. These strap are also on the lower half of the bag so you can sit up in the bag and stap warm which did not seem to be an option in the Big Agnes design. 102267

The STS Explore also has a double triple zipper so both left and right sides can be vented as well as the footbox. This makes it really nice for controlling temp in different conditions. I have tested it in mid 20's and it is true to temp or better if you have the right amount of insulation in under you in the pad system. I sleep warm and was too hot @ 22* with the Nemo foam pad on top of the Klymit pad. Switching the foam under the air pad, I froze as the air in the pad cooled and sucked the heat out of me. Adding the emergency blanket solves this nicely. I have not tested this bag yet in temps warmer than high 50* buy was still very comfortable. When it gets warmer I will switch it over to quilt mode. This bad has the option to unzip the top 2/3 form the back panel and use it as a quilt. Very cool way to convert and drop some weight. Needless to say this bag has tons of room to sleep comfortably. the small details like the inside pocket for water filter/batteries (small but usable) and the draft baffles make it a very nice bag. I ordered the long and have plenty of length to stick cloths at the bottom in colder temps. There are synthetic versions and colder version for those interested.

It all fits nicely in my Seek Outside Cimarron w/ Nest

Most of the stuff I found when looking for my system seemed to be designed for someone wearing skinny jeans, so hope this might me helpful for those looking for a more comfortable night tossing around in the back country.

ORhunter74

Lil-Rokslider
+1 on the Klymit Static V Lux. It's kept me warm down to 30 no problem. Haven't tested it much lower than that, but I believe it's got a 4+ R value. I'm a "full figured" guy and a side sleeper. The extra width is so much nicer. I also have a Static V2 regular size and can't stand how my shoulders don't stay on the pad when laying on my back, never mind my arms. The extra warmth and width is totally worth the extra weight in my opinion. I just did an overnight with my girlfriend and our kids in the rain and 40 degree temps. They were all cold on their Static V standard pads. I was plenty warm on the Lux.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’m not really “big” but I’m tall and have some
Muscle, I’m 6’4 and about 210. I’ve been using an Exped synmat UL, the rectangular one, not the coffin shaped one and it’s been pretty darn good. My only regret is I wish I ordered a down mat 7 just to stretch out the usable seasons with it, with an r value of 3.3 and a rating to ~ 25f, it will be fine for sheep and fall moose season but not much good for caribou, December moose and mountain goat.

nickstone

WKR
I'm 6'3" and 250. I tried the V luxe when it first came out, I never could get used to the grooves, especially when I slept on my side. I tried a Big Agnes SLX long wide last year and it was a little better, but not very warm. A few weeks ago I purchased a LXW megamat lite. It weighs 3 pounds but it seems like its going to be worth every ounce to get quality sleep.

OP
Kerrbow

Kerrbow

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone for the options you have given me. I have an REI store in San Antonio I can visit and try some of these out. It is so hard to try and decide just by looking at information on the Internet w/o actually laying on one.

ORhunter74

Lil-Rokslider
Try looking on Amazon as well. I don't know that REI has the Klymit stuff. And you can return within 30 days.. prices are usually better to equal to other places. And you can't beat the Prime shipping. ;)

I'll toss my vote in for the Klymit Insulated Static V Luxe, I too value a good nights sleep and I think that's the best pad out there for us bigger guys. I also bring an inflatable pillow.

Lando

WKR
Another vote for the Klymit Insulated Static V Luxe or the new insulated Luxe SL. Great pads for the $.

I have a Big Agnes Deer Park 30 with an 25x78” 2track foam core inflatable pad are used for 10 nights in AK a couple years ago.
Fairly light weight set up an incredibly comfortable. The bag has a built in sleeve in the bottom of it where you insert the pad so you can’t roll off of it. Plus the pad acts as the insulation so there’s no wasted weight in the bag itself.

I’d sell the bag and pad combo for $275 shipped. Try it for a couple of weeks and if it doesn’t work for you, send it back and I would refund you everything except for my actual shipping cost providing the bag is in the same shape when returned as it is when received.

PM if interested