Sleeping Pad Help

brocksw

WKR
Thermarests aren't doing it for me. Waking up multiple times during the night, can't get comfortable, arms and hands going number.... something has to be better. Already incorporated a pillow, but I think my pad is the biggest source of problems.

I would really like to know the difference in comfort between the Exped SynMat UL MW and the Big Agnes Q core SLX, those are the two that I see replacing my thermarest xlite. However, are they more comfortable than the neoair xlite?

Here's a list of the pads I'm considering. Planning on picking out 2, one as lightweight early season pad and one as a late season pad.

Pad thickness width length weight r value/Temp
Exped Synmat UL MW 2.8 25.6 72 19.9 3.3/24.8 degrees - Early season Lightweight
Big Agnes Q core SLX 25 72 20 15 degrees - Early season Lightweight
Exped Synmat UL winter LW 3.5 25.6 77.6 28.9 8/-36.4 degrees - Late season lightweight
Nemo Cosmo 30xl 3.5 30 80 34 40 degrees - Early season comfort
Nemo Cosmo 30xl insulated 3.5 30 80 43 20 degrees - Early/Midseason comfort
Exped Synmat Mega 12 LXW 4.7 30.3 77.6 49 5.3/-4 degrees - Trucking camping short backpacking
Exped Megamat 10 LXW 3.9" 10 30.3 77.6 91.9 9.5/-54.4 degrees - Truck Camping Only

How do you sleep? Side, stomach, back? I have an Exped SynMat UL7 in Long/Wide and for me at 6'1" and 235 lbs it is as close to my bed (well my old bed, have you tried a Purple mattress? They're amazing) that I can get in the backcountry. I'm a side sleeper and no part of my body touches the ground on that pad. I couldn't do the SLX because I couldn't fit it plus me in my bivy because of the thickness of that thing, but I have a buddy that loves his. Get a wide no matter what pad you get though, it's worth the weight penalty.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've used the Q-core for the last 4 seasons and just switched to an exped synmat 7 this year. Initial impressions give the edge to the synmat for me. It's lighter, not quite as thick as the q core but still plenty thick and comfortable. I like the fabric better than the q core. But I haven't slept on it in the backcountry yet. That'll change in the next month or so as bear hunts roll in though. We'll see how it does for warmth later season and colder temps but I've got faith in it so far!

oenanthe

WKR
How much air are you putting in?

I find if I over-inflate the NeoAir it is not very comfortable. I let out air to the point where if I put all my weight on my hip I just barely bottom out. Same thing with my Prolite - if there's too much air in it I won't sleep well.

OP
B

brocksw

WKR
I'm a toss and turn sleeper but mostly side and stomach... At least to fall asleep. I've messed with different amounts of air and it doesn't seem to work. It seems like in my half conscious thoughts while moving around in the middle of the night I am always thinking this would be better if I had a wider thicker pad.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Beendare

WKR
I have the exped synmatt and qcore and they sleep about the same. Quality wise the exped is a superior product with a much better warranty

I have the Q Core SL, and the Synmat UL. I prefer the feel of the SL.
I would have to disagree on the quality and warranty. The only time I have used Big Agnes warranty was for a 8yr? (maybe older?) old leaking insulated air core pad. They fixed it at no charge.

OP
B

brocksw

WKR
Ended up ordering a synmat mega 12 lxw and Nemo cosmo 30xl for now. If I need anything lighter I'll probably have to order a q core and exped UL to see which I prefer.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited: