Sleeping pad insulation longevity

I know that synthetic insulation degrades over time with compression and use in sleeping bags and clothing. I would assume it does the same thing in sleeping pads, right? That would mean that over time pads that use synthetic insulation (Exped Synmat, all the Big Agnes insulated air pads) would have a limited lifespan based on the insulation alone. This seems like it might not be an issue with down mats or the pads that don't use insulation at all (neoairs, etc).

Does anyone here have real life experience of an insulated air pad losing its insulating abilities over time? I've had synthetic jackets become noticeably less warm very quickly. With the price of insulated air pads, this is a significant concern for me.

BrianN

FNG
Longevity will probably be most effected by proper storage. Many people will know and preach to not store quilts or bags compressed but then come home from a trip and keep a downmat or synmat pad rolled up tight in its storage bag. Not good. It's usually recommend to inflate lightly (maybe halfway) and find a place like under the bed to store it. If stored properly, down especially will last a very long time.

Deepwoods

FNG
I have a sleep pad that is approaching 35+ years old and still gets used. My newest pad is 20 years old. All thermarest brand. These have been stored properly and still continue to work great. I have used all in temps around 10 degrees without issue.

OP
W
So I heard back from two companies when I asked them this question.

Exped said that it's a valid concern, but that their design of having the insulation bonded to both sides of the inside of the sleeping bag insures that the insulation won't just get packed down and end up useless. With that technology, they said the insulation should last the life of the pad.

Sea to Summit basically recommended to leave the pad stored unrolled with the valve open and that if I did that I ought not to worry.

I'm still not entirely convinced, although I appreciate both companies sending me pretty detailed replies. I have a feeling that if longevity is my number one goal, I should stick with self-inflating pads.

Block

WKR
I’ve been thru a HANDFUL of big Agnes and other brands in the past 5 years. I don’t even camp “that” much but it is always in the desert and def could be cactus involved.. My best advice is buy from REI and hit Em HARD on their return policy. I’m currently lookin at fold up options cuz I’m sick of replacing pads every season even tho it’s free thru REI

swanny

Lil-Rokslider
So I heard back from two companies when I asked them this question.

Exped said that it's a valid concern, but that their design of having the insulation bonded to both sides of the inside of the sleeping bag insures that the insulation won't just get packed down and end up useless. With that technology, they said the insulation should last the life of the pad.

Sea to Summit basically recommended to leave the pad stored unrolled with the valve open and that if I did that I ought not to worry.

I'm still not entirely convinced, although I appreciate both companies sending me pretty detailed replies. I have a feeling that if longevity is my number one goal, I should stick with self-inflating pads.
I'll echo what EXPED and Sea To Summit both replied to you with. Our (EXPED) insulation is double bonded to both sides on our synthetic mats and if you have the space and ability to do it, leave the mat out with the valves open, specifically the deflate to it can "breathe". You should be completely fine folding it in thirds, stashing it somewhere that it wont get punctured.

On top of that, Id add that any company using the foil for insulation in their mat, chances are that breaks down quicker from the rolling and moisture often put inside during inflation. We've seen the foil flake off in our testing, which degrades the insulation properties. This is part of why we continue to use proven synthetic fibers in most of our mats and down where it's needed for the higher r-value product.

I'd also recommend that on any mat you utilize some type of accessory pump bag or inflation device that is not your lungs to inflate your mat. Your breathe in a mat puts a lot of wet moisture into a sealed environment, and let me tell you...it gets gross in there after a while!

Happy to answer any other EXPED brand questions.

-Nick