Sleeping pad mods for warmth

Moserkr

WKR
I have an exped hw mw 3 season inflatable pad and it generally does great for me. My only issue is I get a cold spot on the ground side when the temps drop to 20* or lower. Used a thin foam reflective pad last season with it and it eliminated that cold spot from the ground but is weighs 14oz. I run floorless hot tents so im generally warm. But it got me thinking... can I shave the 14oz foam pad weight down?

My idea is either find a lighter/thinner foam pad, or modify my exped inflatable. I could add down to the inside of my exped which seems messy and questionable to function. OR, use some spray on adhesive and glue a heat relective emergency blanket to the bottom of the exped, cut to size. The down and reflective blanket seem to be the lightest weight option at 3oz for down, maybe 1-2oz for the blanket. A new foam pad I found weighs around 4oz which saves a half pound over the current foam pd but is not reflective. Down may or may not work and spill out during deflation, and the reflective blanket may not be durable over time. Foam pad is most durable.

Any thoughts or better ideas? Sure I could go buy a higher r-value winter pad but what fun is that??

*zap*

WKR
It is a bit bulky but if you cut a piece of refletix to the size you need it will add R-2 or so.

NW307

Lil-Rokslider
+1 on the reflectix. It doesn't add much padding but definitely adds R value.

• Banned
OP
Moserkr

Moserkr

WKR
Any clue how much reflectix weighs? Definitely the right idea. Just trying to separate the cold ground from my pad and myself.

• Banned
OP
Moserkr

Moserkr

WKR
Im not opposed to my wife sharing my bag with me, her girlfriend too even, but thats a lot of dead weight to carry lol. She doesnt hunt, but could boil some mean backcountry water for me lol.
Looks like Ill be going to the home depot and checking out reflectix as an option. Not looking for padding, just a cheap, ultralight r-value boost. Thanks!

*zap*

WKR
I am soon cutting a refletix roll to fit the whole floor of my MSR Elixer 1. I just need to get a 4' roll next time I go to menards. Just bulk as the weight is negligible.

OP
Moserkr

Moserkr

WKR
I would just buy a new pad lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Maybe one day but on a married with a kid budget, I have more important items for hunting Id like to buy first. Starting with swaro slc 10x42 binos. Ill be cold before i waste money on a new pad right now hahaha. Id rather experiment for cheap in the meantime.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Man, you can get by better with cheaper binos than you can a cheaper sleeping pad. If you can't get good sleep you're miserable all day. I'd budget a couple hundred bucks for good sleep before I'd budget 1400 bucks for binos.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
Moserkr

Moserkr

WKR
Down was last on the list, and a long shot so yea its out. Ill see if i can get away with the lightweight foam or reflectix.

Sneaky, I sleep pretty well regardless, but i wouldnt mind absolute comfort for the least amount of weight possible. Bit of a crackhead oz counter...

tdot

WKR
If you want to stay cheap and light, and depending on the gear you are already bringing, you could toss your clothes under your air mattress. Fleece and synthetic insulation works particularly well.

OP
Moserkr

Moserkr

WKR
Tdot now thats a good idea. Probably would only take a shirt to cut out a cold spot from the ground. A jacket would easily do it. Thanks. Sounds like I need to do some tests between clothes, pads, and reflective material.

tdot

WKR
Tdot now thats a good idea. Probably would only take a shirt to cut out a cold spot from the ground. A jacket would easily do it. Thanks. Sounds like I need to do some tests between clothes, pads, and reflective material.

Cool. Let us know the results.

tdot

WKR
Or Moss. Before I had an air mattress it was a bed of 6" of moss and blue foam roll up mattress. It's the only way I was ever able to sleep on those thin foam mattresses.

OP
Moserkr

Moserkr

WKR
Tdot, ideally i’d like to minimize time spent preparing a bed too. Ive slept on pine boughs and grass before. No moss where i hunt currently. But all are options that would work. Part of how I hunt is managing time. More time spent hunting, less time on everything else. Eyes always on my surroundings since most animals i spot are usually just a brief glimpse or flash.

tdot

WKR
I totally understand that. I have an air mattress for the same reason.