Sleeping pad mods for warmth

Maybe one day but on a married with a kid budget, I have more important items for hunting Id like to buy first. Starting with swaro slc 10x42 binos. Ill be cold before i waste money on a new pad right now hahaha. Id rather experiment for cheap in the meantime.

To me, and only my opinion, this in freaking insanity!

There are so many excellent binos available that will get you close to Swaro range. No way in hell would I sleep cold rather than use tier-B glass. Hell, the little Bushnell Legend M's are damn good glass and only $200. You won't likely lose any game using them instead of the Swaros. But losing sleep will ruin a hunt.

OP
Moserkr

Moserkr

WKR
Mike, the cold is negligible and only noticeable at 20* or below. Im not losing sleep over it, just want to cut weight on my heavy foam pad. Ill carry that if I have to or use another suggestion in the thread.
As far as optics go, i used bushnells for years and currently have vortex vipers. After looking through a relatives swaro el’s, nothing will change my mind that i shouldnt be using top quality optics. Missed an opportunity on a bear last year because i had trouble judging what was moving at a mile away. Bet Ive glassed over lots of animals because of poor glass.

Newton22

FNG
What about using one of those emergency bivy's or blankets? I think they are mylar... They weight under 2 ozs. I got 10 for $10 off ebay.

OP
Moserkr

Moserkr

WKR
Newton, I did mention that in the op and i carry one in my survival gear bag. My thought was cut it to size and glue it to my sleeping pad with a spray on adhesive. I think ill try it just unglued and laid out as you suggested first. I question its durability in general though.

Newton22

FNG
Newton, I did mention that in the op and i carry one in my survival gear bag. My thought was cut it to size and glue it to my sleeping pad with a spray on adhesive. I think ill try it just unglued and laid out as you suggested first. I question its durability in general though.
Yea that is as good question... How long will it really last? You could always try and laminating two or more of them together and then gluing them on... But at that point maybe the reflectix would be the ticket.

I like how compressed I can get my Exped, not sure adding material to bottom would allow me to keep the same size. I am at the point where weight is basically irrelevant. It's size in my pack that matters. I have to carry everything, solo, and usually in cold weather, with rain , mountains.
Maybe check out the Borah Bivy

OP
Moserkr

Moserkr

WKR
I do like how mine compresses as well. Going to have to do some tests and see if the lightest options, the reflective sheet or reflectix, works. I currently have and use a borah bivy in my tipis. It works great but doesnt stop the ground chill. Im sure a higher quality sleeping bag would help too, as well as an insulated pad. Just experimenting with what I have in the meantime before I drop big bucks on nice stuff.

Scoot

WKR
Random, maybe dumb, question-- will adding a piece of tyvek beneath your pad add any r value and keep you warmer?

OP
Moserkr

Moserkr

WKR
Scoot - All tyvek will do is help keep a moisture barrier between you and the ground, but offers no heat or added r-value. My thoughts were either reflect body heat with a reflective material, or add insulation in the way of a foam pad or down insulation. Im not aware of any other method that improves r-value.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Actually tyvek is moisture permeable so it only helps mitigate moisture transfer but doesn't completely block it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Wiscgunner

Lil-Rokslider
I use an emergency blanket under my air pad an it makes a significant different in temp because the air in the pad will cool into a heat sink form your body. this is why foam is better. Airpads need to be heated just like extraq space in a sleeping bag. I wrap the emergency blanket (reflective side facing in) under the pad with the excess up over the sides and under the sleeping bag. For $5 definitely recommend the experiment to others to try. nothing to loose.

OP
Moserkr

Moserkr

WKR
Wiscgunner - thanks looking forward to trying that. I imagine foam would be better but im mainly looking for bare minimum warmth and the most weight savings.

Sneaky - Good to know tyvek is not waterproof. I dont use it and never will now. Seems pointless. I use a bivy currently in my tipi which is waterproof but offers very little warmth, and no protection from ground chill.