Sleeping Pad Question Version 18495.03723

92xj

WKR
I have a dilemma and haven't researched pads in a while and would assume 2019 produced some new pads I am not aware of yet.

Right now I run an xtherm, 20degree EE quilt inside an ultralight cuben bottom / breathable nylon and mesh upper bivy.

The problem with this setup, I am too hot! I have been in temps down to the upper 20s, laying in boxers only and I am still too warm. I know the bivy adds a few degrees and keeps any cold air drafts out. I want to keep running the bivy as it is great for keeping everything together, weighs less than my normal ground sheet, and keeps everything clean.
The quilt I absolutely love and don't want to spend the money and have the wait time to have a 30degree built,
so I am looking at changing pads. I think if I got one with less R value, the ground would suck some of my heat away and I wouldn't be so hot at night.
I know it's an odd problem to have in 20-30degree weather.
I like the size of 77x25 x2.5thick
Is there anything out there in 25" width, 3R range in that size worth looking at or should I just make the switch to the XLite at 3.2R?

Will I see a noticeable difference going from 5.7R to 3.2R?

If I didn't add a sharpie mark on the pad to locate my quilt straps easily I would just return or exchange the Xtherm as it is in perfect condition.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Personally, I think it's your bivy. You should be able to vent the quilt easily to get comfortable. I use a 0 degree EE quilt with my Xtherm even during the summer with lows in the 40's and 50's and am comfortable, even wearing my merino top and bottoms with a fleece hat. But I vent it if need be.

OP
92xj

92xj

WKR
This past weekend I kept the bivy unzipped the whole time and flipped back. It zips from between knee and hip around shoulders, over head and down to other hip. Unzipped and flipped back and 30 degrees out and I was still hot.
Though, i do keep the quilt snapped to it's cords around the pad so the edges of the quilt are under me.
I don't really have a desire to wake up, vent quilt, get chilly, tuck and snap quilt back and then fall back asleep a few times throughout the night.

I had the same problem. I would say it’s your X-therm. Any pad that reflects radiant heat back to your body is very warm in warmer temps. I sweated to death in mine with a 20 degree E and E quilt. Went to a lower R value but still 3 season pad, and now I am so comfy. I think it has to do with the insulation. For instance in 80 degree heat I’d toast in my Xtherm while same temp I was very comfortable in my Exped HL winter version. Both nearly same r-value. Difference being X-therm radiated heat back into the body while Exped uses synthetic insulation keeping your pad at a neutral temp . Just my two cents worth. Sea to summit comfort lite is also a great choice has a r-value in the 4’s and very comfortable.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I've never used the straps for my quilt. They're more annoying than anything.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

bhylton

WKR
I would check out the static V and Insulated static v from Klymit. they have wide versions also. wont break the bank and have been solid for last 3 or so years for myself and the ol' lady

LandYacht

WKR
Your pad is too warm. A layer on the bottom is like two on the top, as the old saying goes.

Get a zero rating pad like a BA clear view and you’ll see an immediate difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
92xj

92xj

WKR
Your pad is too warm. A layer on the bottom is like two on the top, as the old saying goes.

Get a zero rating pad like a BA clear view and you’ll see an immediate difference.

That's my thought as well. My bivy does very well breathing.
I think I am just going to buy the neoair because I love the shape, size and comfort of the XTherm.
Plus I don't want to regret my switch and end up being too cold with a sub R1 rating. Surely I'll be able to tell a difference going from a 5.7 to. 3.2r?

LandYacht

WKR
That's my thought as well. My bivy does very well breathing.
I think I am just going to buy the neoair because I love the shape, size and comfort of the XTherm.
Plus I don't want to regret my switch and end up being too cold with a sub R1 rating. Surely I'll be able to tell a difference going from a 5.7 to. 3.2r?

I have the neoair and am glad I don’t have the Xtherm. It is substantially different than the clear view pad I had in terms of insulation and couldn’t imagine having more warmth unless it was in the negatives.

DW83

FNG
What kind of bivy do you have? I motocamp a lot and am looking for a lighter setup than my current 2 man REI tent. I’m looking at a pad, quilt, and bivy with a 10x10 tarp for bad weather.

OP
92xj

92xj

WKR
I called up bearpaw wilderness designs and had him custom make me one. I'd highly recommend him, a little on the quirky side but gets whatever you want made and shipped fast. My bivy is a Cuban floor, breathable top from belly to toes, mesh upper. 7oz. He has a picture on his site of one almost just like it.

OP
92xj

92xj

WKR
I’ll check him out, thanks!
Click this link, scroll down to the very bottom and the last bivy I'm the pictures is very close to what he built me. I gave him dimensions that fit my pad perfectly and he built it and shipped within a week.

CaseyD

FNG
I would check out the static V and Insulated static v from Klymit. they have wide versions also. wont break the bank and have been solid for last 3 or so years for myself and the ol' lady
Good call. Klymit is a good buy. The insulated is R-4.4 and still very light. Worth looking into

Ace2255

FNG
I have a dilemma and haven't researched pads in a while and would assume 2019 produced some new pads I am not aware of yet.

Right now I run an xtherm, 20degree EE quilt inside an ultralight cuben bottom / breathable nylon and mesh upper bivy.

The problem with this setup, I am too hot! I have been in temps down to the upper 20s, laying in boxers only and I am still too warm. I know the bivy adds a few degrees and keeps any cold air drafts out. I want to keep running the bivy as it is great for keeping everything together, weighs less than my normal ground sheet, and keeps everything clean.
The quilt I absolutely love and don't want to spend the money and have the wait time to have a 30degree built,
so I am looking at changing pads. I think if I got one with less R value, the ground would suck some of my heat away and I wouldn't be so hot at night.
I know it's an odd problem to have in 20-30degree weather.
I like the size of 77x25 x2.5thick
Is there anything out there in 25" width, 3R range in that size worth looking at or should I just make the switch to the XLite at 3.2R?

Will I see a noticeable difference going from 5.7R to 3.2R?

If I didn't add a sharpie mark on the pad to locate my quilt straps easily I would just return or exchange the Xtherm as it is in perfect condition.
Have you tried using an expo marker over the sharpie to see if it will erase? Works on some things

OP
92xj

92xj

WKR
Have you tried using an expo marker over the sharpie to see if it will erase? Works on some things
Thanks, I did not try that but I did sell the pad pretty darn quickly and ordered a neoair xlite, that was delivered yesterday. Will be running this setup in two weeks and will see what happens.
If the weather keeps nice and stays dry I will be running a flat tarp and ground sheet; leaving the cimarron and bivy at home. Should be able to stay cool at not and not overheat with that setup.

OP
92xj

92xj

WKR
I am interested to see how you like the new pad! I hope to be using my newly purchased pad (XTherm)on a fall bear hunt.

Me too, waiting two more weeks to test it is going to be tough, might have to pull a single nighter in the back yard. It's kind of fun and a little interesting being on this side of a "problem", of gear working too good for my comfort. I could just be a really hot sleeper in the wild and it's a personal issue and not gear. Anyhow, will update this after memorial day weekend where I will have 4 nights on the new pad.