Sleeping pad r value

What do you guys like to run for R value in your sleeping pad for your hunting scenario (assume you don’t run a stove))?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Just depends on time of the year, I have an Exped with an r value of 3.3 which supposedly works down to zero degrees, I guess more isn't w bad thing but I don’t do a whole lot of camping when it’s below zero. I don’t really know if it’s worth upgrading what I have now to a more serious model.

FlyGuy

WKR
I use a R 5. Most of my hunting is in September. I also use a stove at times, but a backpacking stove will not keep you warm at night, it just knocks the chill off for 20-30 min when you get in at night and/or need to climb out of the bag and get going in the morning. Don’t make the mistake of thinking you can get by with a lower rated pad/bag and make up for it with a stove. Not if you want to actually sleep, anyway.

sea to summit comfort plus insulated. On sale today at REI btw. goHunt had them on sale too but sold old over the weekend.

You can’t cheat the mountain

Mosby

WKR
My Thermarest has a 3.1 R value and I can feel the cold come through it when it is in the teens. I have been debating getting an XTherm or StS to improve cold weather sleeping.

Rthur

Lil-Rokslider
What R rating would you consider acceptable for 20's and above?

R

Beendare

WKR
IMO, Best to think of your pad/bag as a system.
A down bag doesn't give you much insulation on the bottom side due to it getting compressed out. A Syn bag does better in this regard needing less R value over a comparable down bag.

I think you want at least 4-5 R value in a pad...more is better, especially if using a down bag. I have a Exped Synmatt [4.9R] and 20 deg down bag that I can start feeling the cold on hard ground at 15-20 deg [side sleeper] I've never felt the cold on the same pad with my Syn bag [but that system is bulky]

The ground you are on plays a part as well. If its damp or hard ground...or something like solid rock the cold conducts through it worse than if you are on dry forest duff type stuff. Some pine boughs below your pad will increase the pads effectiveness....[and get it a little pitchy without a floor or tarp]

Mosby

WKR
What R rating would you consider acceptable for 20's and above?

R
I agree with Beendare. I would get something in the 4-5 R value range understanding that not all manufacturers provide R values for their pads. If you want something that will work in most hunting situations, Thermarest, Sea to Summit, Klymit all have popular options.

OP
M
For my system I have a klymit static v insulated r4.4 and a nemo kayu (15deg down bag). I didn’t have trouble last year in Utah with lows in 30-40. I’m looking for second pad and was thinking about nemo tensor (10-20deg) but I don’t know if i want to trust a film vs primaloft insulation to get the r value. I’m also interested in the big Agnes qcore or axl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kupper

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Q core SLX which I would say is good to about 30 degrees (I think they list it as 20 degrees) for me and I'm a warm sleeper. I wouldn't run the the axl or the thermorest uberlight If I thought the weather was going to dip below 40 at night. I will most likely take my sea to summit ether light (4.1R) on my september back country trips this year. A lot of this really depends on what type of sleeper you are (warm or cold) and what the weather will be like when and where you are camping.

I think the higher R value you get the more versatile it can be, if you have a high R value and it's not terribly cold then you can sleep in lighter layers. I got the Klymit Inertia XL to try, it has 0 R value, I'm generally a pretty warm sleeper but I had to sleep in my puffy pants and jacket when it was mid 30's. My buddy has the Klymit Insulated Static V Luxe, he slept in shorts.