Sleeping pad...value buy and warm

pollie7

FNG
Seeking advice on good quality, warm, value sleeping pads. What pad should I buy?

Jalliston

Lil-Rokslider
Exped or Xtherm. They're not particularly cheap, but the value comes from the quality, longevity and warranty. I use an Exped Downmat UL7 for cold weather, Exped Synmat HL/Nemo Tensor for warmer weather.

PlanoDano

FNG
Lots of affordable, quality, warm sleeping pads available. It gets tricky when you add "light weight" to the equation. Go to the website of everyone's favorite outdoor retailer. Set to filter on r-value 4 to r-value 6. Sort list by price from low to high. You will find that there are some reasonably priced sleeping pads from quality brands in the lower price ranges. They just weigh some ounces more. They will be the same price or very close on one of the sponsor's web sites.

Inflatable pads are one thing I would not sell or buy used. That is just me though.

Jalliston

Lil-Rokslider
I forgot Klymit. Yeah, probably the best bang for the buck by a long shot. Check Massdrop - they tend to drop Klymit pads for really good prices regularly.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Klymit fan here. I don’t think they are equal to the exped but a heck of a value. The unique baffles actually work for me. If you get the light version of the insulated pad you get 4.4 r-value at 18oz including stuff sack. The valve is not user friendly but hasn’t failed me....yet.

Last edited:

Fatcamp

WKR
Lots of affordable, quality, warm sleeping pads available. It gets tricky when you add "light weight" to the equation. Go to the website of everyone's favorite outdoor retailer. Set to filter on r-value 4 to r-value 6. Sort list by price from low to high. You will find that there are some reasonably priced sleeping pads from quality brands in the lower price ranges. They just weigh some ounces more. They will be the same price or very close on one of the sponsor's web sites.

Inflatable pads are one thing I would not sell or buy used. That is just me though.

Great post! It led me down a rabbit hole I will revisit another day. ;)

*zap*

WKR
Since you did not mention weight …...thermarest older luxury series pad on ebay and look for a good buy.

Jbehredt

WKR
My SIL texted me yesterday from Costco with a photo of a good selection of klymit pads. If you’ve got one local....

Badger 5

Lil-Rokslider
I have used a kylmit pad before, damn good value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TravisIN

WKR
Klymit just released some new insulated ones this year too I believe. Supposed to be lighter weight versions of their insulated pads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk