Sleeping pad - What do you use?

D_Eightch

WKR
So I typically sleep out of a hammock, I am flying solo on my elk hunt and going to be staying in a cimmaron. The idea of a stove if I were to get wet or cold alone was the .draw for me on a shelter with stove.

So I have never worried about a pad. Looking for a somewhat quiet, wide sleeping pad. Not too concerned with weight since I will have a couple buddies (llamas) to help out with the packing in. Has anybody had experience with klynit? Also curious about q core from big agnes

I have a Klymit insulated static V and I'd rate it fair. I use a quilt because I move around a lot and I'm looking for a bit more thickness as its not as comfortable as I'd like.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

oldgoat

WKR
The most comfortable I've used is Big Agnes Q Core also the heaviest but worth it, even my old lady who has arthritis in her hip, can sleep comfortably on it!

Owenst7

WKR
I'm 5'10", 160 lbs and sleep comfortably on a 20" mat or cot. I prefer to sleep on my side, although I'll switch to my back sometimes on cots or mats.

I like my Klymit a lot for backpacking, even side sleeping. It stays put under me better than most pads I've used. I haven't noticed it making any noise, and that's something that typically annoys me with most pads. My Static V measures at 23" wide for the majority of the length. It was $30 at Costco during the spring (insulated was $60). My Sam's has them regularly on the shelf for $40. Klymit sells them direct on eBay for good prices. I'm planning on buying an insulated Static V on eBay at the end of summer if I haven't had any complaints with my uninsulated version by then.

When I'm not concerned about weight or volume, I use a lightspeed pad that Costco has carried consistently for $30 for many years now. They're very warm and one of the most comfortable pads I've ever slept on. The two I have are like 65 ounces though, and only compress to a cylinder about 25" long and probably 6" in diameter. Inflated they measure at 24.5"x72". I really like the lengthwise bars for keeping the pad under me while I sleep, since I tend to roll around looking for cold spots a lot at night. I've slept on the ground in a tent below 15F at night and not had my back get cold at all. I was using a Slumberjack Eskimo -30 bag that I've used at -40 in Alaska though, so I'm not sure how objective that test was haha.
Pretty sure the 2"/3" are the ones I bought at Costco about a decade ago. 2" in the center and 3" at the sides/pillow. The 3"/3.5" might be what Costco carries now, as I noticed recently that the R-value they claim on the box is 7 or 8 (I just remember being really surprised at how much higher it was than most pads on the market, but if they switched to the thicker pad I suppose that would make sense). I'd put this pad up against any $100-$200 pad on the market so long as packed volume and weight weren't involved. I've yet to find anything that blows it out of the water for warmth, durability, or comfort.
Amazon.com : Lightspeed Outdoors PVC-Free Self Inflating Camp Sleep Pad : Sports & Outdoors

Last edited:
Thermarest neoair xtherm. Some complain about how noisy it is, but I don't think it's bad. It is very warm though, which is why I got it. I find it to be very comfortable as well, and they make a long/wide model.

Grady.J

Lil-Rokslider
Neoair Xtherm max long/wide here. Super warm and comfy, nice packed size, and decently light for the comfort and warmth.

I just picked up one of the lightspeed pads from Costco for my girlfriend that Owenst7 mentioned. I think I'm going to get one for myself for car camping trips, and save the Neoair for packing in. It's a super comfortable pad, really warm, and the side 'bumpers are fantastic. If weight and size isn't a concern, you can't go wrong, especially for the price.

I also like the looks of the Klymit insulated Luxe pad. A 30" wide pad would be fantastic. At a little over two pounds it's not light, but not totally unreasonable for packing.

Trial153

WKR
I am also running a nemo tensor, I have the 25w version. It's warm and stands up well enough to my side sleeping. It packs down small and is easy to deploy.

Jimss

WKR
I use Neoair. It is super light and compact. As mentioned above, some complain about it being noisy but I sleep like a baby! It's likely more comfortable than my bed!

Owenst7

WKR
How well would that light speed work in a hammock?

I don't have much experience with hammocks, other than taking naps in my girlfriend's when she brings it backpacking.

Klymit does make a pad specifically for hammocks.View attachment 53801

I think that LightSpeed pad would work just as well as any other semi-rectangular pad. If you inflate it really firm, it ends up being pretty rigid in shape, if that would help. It's a big pad, so I think it might help in giving you a flatter area to lay on/in. I do think you'd be hard-pressed to find a warmer pad...certainly within $100 of the price.

Costco's return policy is excellent. I'd buy one and try it out on your porch or something. If it doesn't work and you don't want it for car camping or as a spare, just take it back. For $30 though, I had a hard time only buying two lol. I've used the hell out of mine over the years. They're even what I use for house guests over an inflatable mattress. They're way more comfortable. I frequently leave one in the truck just in case I get stuck or tired on a long trip and want to take a nap in the bed.

Beendare

WKR
I've tried the neoair, Qcore, thermarest foam/air....and the best IMO is the Expeds. Next best but its heavy is the camprest by thermarest.

go for quailty when you use an inflatable pad...having problems on a trip is the worst.

efnm

WKR
I really like my nemo astro lite insulated wide with a pump built-in. If I had to do it over I'd probably get the pumpless version just to save a little time. But then I'd probably regret that as the grass is always greener on the other side of the gear fence for me.

aeasley10

WKR
Do these pack down to a reasonable size? This may be what I go with

This is what I run as well (Big Ag Qcore SLX). Packs nice and small prob close to a Nalgene bottle. Mine is the long and is 17oz I believe. For a sleeping pad, it's pretty damn comfy. Takes about 14-15 breaths to blow it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk